The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:23:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First (SUCESSFULL) AM QSO!!!  (Read 7075 times)
K7NCR
« on: December 19, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »

Hey ALL!
Had my first real AM QSO Monday, 12/17 with Steve KL7OF from WA. (My first was 2-3 years ago with the Knight T150, BAD signal report!) Had a great short visit, he was 59+10 here. My rig got good reports, so I guess I can trust my scope display. Can't wait to finish the Mohawk so it can go back in it's cabinet. Now only have the SB-10 to try, I'm sure I can PO some ricebox slopbucketeers with it! Merry Christmas to All, and look forward the mini AM party on 1/1/08. I'll be there!
Norm K7NCR
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 07:13:22 PM »

Bravo! Here's to many more.
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:49:25 PM »

Norm...It was great to work you.....Your rig sounds good..I had just finished changing out a mod transformer in my HB PP 100th rig that morning and was preparing for an on the air test when I heard you testing your rig.... So it worked out very well... I always enjoy working stations from Kalispell (I graduated hi school there)..
   This Qso took place around 11 AM-12 noon over a 250 mi path on 3870kcs..  Thanks for talking with me Norm and hope to work you again soon...
    As an aside, the 100th rig is modulating better than ever now so I'm moving  it back to 20M AM...Steve
W1IA

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 08:53:07 PM »

Congrats Norm!...Welcome to the fun. I will listen for you some night.

Brent W1IA
Derry, NH

Run What Ya Brung!
AF9J
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 09:43:58 PM »

Way to go Norm!  It sure is fun, isn't it?  Smiley

Ellen - AF9J
K7NCR
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 11:22:14 PM »

Yeah, quite a rush! My wife called on my cell phone/leash while I was talking. I called her back when I got done, and said, "Can't you see I was on the radio!?". I set up on 3910 with the SB-10 to try to hook up with the crew gathering for the Montana Trafic Net, but had to leave before they got on. Bummer! I was glad to get a "good" comment about the Apache. I did the basic audio mods, but my mic is pretty low budget. I bought an old non-amplified Turner, and it had a bad element. I bought some of these off of e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/QTY-3-CRYSTAL-MIC-MICROPHONE-ELEMENTS-ELEMENT-BLOWOUT_W0QQitemZ180197535834QQihZ008QQcategoryZ48707QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It seems not too bad for so cheap. I like cheap!
Norm K7NCR
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 10:52:24 AM »

WARNING!

AM activity is quite enjoyable, and can be addictive! Welcome aboard, Norm!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 11:45:33 AM »

Yea, but he still has to endure that most famous right of passage. Working the Timtron for the first time and getting that most famous response: "I can hear ya, but yer kinda piss weak!"  Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 11:58:38 AM »

Welcome Norm,
I hope we get some more left coast prop. A little more fire from the antenna always helps too, but it's one step at a time. The Tron does pretty good on 160M with just 150W. The antenna is the secret. I hope you have some space to allow some aerials to spread their wings.

Fred  KC4MOP

Fred KC4MOP
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 08:10:49 PM »

Congratulations Norm!

Welcome to the world of  AM radio.

Gary/W2INR

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
K7NCR

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 04:23:19 PM »

Wow, Todd,
Since 12/19/2007! Hard to believe it's been that long. I have not been on the air in a while, and am looking forward to getting the HB/TX going. I hinted to my kid about the HRO, maybe I'll get a cool old rusty radio for fathers day!  Grin
Norm

WARNING!

AM activity is quite enjoyable, and can be addictive! Welcome aboard, Norm!

K7 Norms Classic Radio
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »

It sure flies right by, doesn't it Norm? Hard to believe, as I can clearly remember when you were re-habbing the Heathkit Injuns. It was only 10 months later than I made the final move from VT to NC, and that SURE doesn't seem that long ago.

And there's still nothing quite like a good AM contact to get the day going right. Just came in from the station after a good chat on 40m with W8GPA/Rupe and W8LXJ/Bob while drinking the morning bean juice. 40 has been pretty flaky lately, today is no exception. Other stations in there were down in the noise.

Good luck on the HRO and HB gear. Hope to work you some evening in the coming months on 80, if not another band before.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015