The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:46:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NaSA launches LADEE tonight from Wallops Is., VA  (Read 7219 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: September 06, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »

Should be visible over most of east coast an inland as far as possibly Pittsburg if you have unobstructed horizon.  Liftoff sked. For 11:27 pm EDT sept 6, or 0327 Zulu sept 7.

http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-television-webcasts-live-space-tv.html

Large moon bound Minotaur V rocket.  Biggest launched from Wallops.

Exaust Ionization trail for radio bounce too?

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »

The skies should be clear in New England.

Any published trajectories so one knows where to look?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »

There's a link in the announcement:
http://www.space.com/22628-nasa-ladee-moon-launch-viewing-maps.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »

Wallops is not far from my location. I think I'll take a look later.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »

I don't think they can get to the moon going Northeast - better turn that sucker more South/ SW....  Wink

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »

I saw it, I have no idea how you could miss seeing that one, I was watching the nasa webcast of the launch and looked out the window and there it was, didn't even have to search for it, it was that bright. From here I could see some of the different stages burning out and the next stage fire up, with the naked eye.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 12:04:13 AM »

Saw it here too in central Jersey in the South-Southeast sky. Bright yellow/orange glow; saw at least one stage burn out and seconds later, the bright glow came back; stayed in my view until I lost it behind some tall trees. Probably would have been a real cool thing to see if you were up in a plane.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 01:45:58 AM »

We saw the rocket flame clearly, including what I believe were two stage burn outs. We are in northern Virginia perhaps 100 miles NW of the launch site. Nice clear night for viewing the launch. Thank you W3RSW for posting the launch information.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »

Your welcome.
My wife's sister has a " beach" house in Chincoteague.  They went down y'day to view the launch.  Sorry I couldn't have been with them.  Awaiting their report  Grin

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-480000-chincoteague_vacations-i

RICK  *W3RSW*
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 01:16:38 PM »

Well maybe this mission will settle once and for all the question of what the moon is made of? Back in the Nixon days when NASA came back with hundreds maybe thousands of pounds of moon rocks and other fine material. At least that's what they say! Well I don't know what you were taught but when I was in school, we were taught that it was made out of cheese! If this is the case, the moon must have had an atmosphere at one time because there is no other way to explain that much cheese orbiting around our planet! The cheese on the outer most layers must be grated fine like the stuff you would put on pasta and salads. As you start going down into the interior, it is probably Swiss Cheese and that probably explains the holes seen on the surface. Further down it's interior, you run into the solid stuff like Bavarian Bergkase which would provide a foundation for the more porous Swiss. Even further down it would most likely be an even more solid cheese such as Brick to give the Bavarian Bergkase support. It is thought that there are more than 1000 types of cheese that make up the moon, so this latest mission  should provide material wealth for future generations looking for a food source to travel ever more deeply into space! Some scientists suggest that all the cheese on the moon may explain the bad smells discovered around  Uranus?  I don't know, you be the judge?  

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »

Boy, how to kill a thread... Grin
You didn't have to ravel so far.
You forgot Lindbergher.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »

My son saw the launch from Providence Forge, Virginia including a stage separation. He said it was impressive.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 02:18:58 PM »

Boy, how to kill a thread... Grin
You didn't have to ravel so far.
You forgot Lindbergher.

Well I hope not, I caught a glance of something back in the early seventies that looked like a rocket heading overhead near East Orange,NJ where I lived at the time  in the direction of  NYC. Whatever was used as a propellent must have had some copper in it because I could see a greenish blue color in flame? Never saw a rocket since by my live naked eye?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »

I missed the launch due to the local treeline. Required a 10 degree horizon or better.  Could have climbed a tower, I suppose.

Back in the 90's I saw a night time Delta rocket launched from Cape Canaveral from about 5 miles away. Some kind of military satellite.  It was so bright I could barely watch it. Almost like welding.

It seemed to accelerate VERY fast right from the start. Much faster than a space shuttle or moon rocket.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 08:25:39 PM »

I missed the launch due to the local treeline. Had to be a 10 degree horizon.  Could have climbed a tower, I suppose.

Back in the 90's I saw a night time Delta rocket launched from Cape Canaveral from about 5 miles away. Some kind of military satellite.  It was so bright I could barely watch it. Almost like welding.

It seemed to accelerate VERY fast right from the start. Much faster than a space shuttle or moon rocket.

T

The map says that would be a max of 5 degrees above the horizon here, but it had to be higher than that, maybe 10 to 15 degrees.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »

From Salem CT.

* Sent.jpg (38.77 KB, 480x320 - viewed 361 times.)

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015