The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:22:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-920 on AM  (Read 6507 times)
NA3CW

« on: May 29, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »

This is my first post on AMfone.  Working along with the critical ear of my friend and neighbor, Joe, W3GMS, I've managed to get my Yaesu FT-920 to sound reasonably good on AM with full modulation.  Joe had encouraged me to share what I've found and what I've done to the rig.  I'm somewhat hesitant to do so because it requires pulling out the main board which is not something for the newbie to do.  I don't want to contribute to the death of somebody else's 920. But, that said, if anyone is interested in more information about the project, I'm happy to share.  Just let me know.  Some of what I found wasn't obvious at first.  (FYI, I've been a ham since 1968 and an EE since 1977.  I haven't seen it all yet but I do know my way around a scope.  Smiley  )

Best 73,
Chuck
NA3CW

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »

Can you describe what was done or reference component numbers on a schematic? Maybe you don't need to pull the board. Anyway, any info you can share is most appreciated.
NA3CW

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »

I'll have to dig up the specifics, but here are the broad strokes:

1. I bypassed the whole audio chain.  The normal audio feed to the balanced modulator sounds great and has various eq effects but only in SSB.  For some reason on AM only, the DSP sounds like a bad cold and I couldn't change it.  Totally restricted.  No highs, no lows, no punch.  Awful.   I installed a transformer isolated diff amp (including a phase switch) to drive the emitter follower that feeds the balanced modulator.  In signal generator tests, the modulated waveform before the 6 kHz filter is basically flat from 80 Hz to 50 kHz.  I use a relay with an external toggle switch to re-engage the original audio if desired.  (Again, it's great in sideband.)  External to the rig is a Behringer C-1 mic, a little Behringer mixer, an ART equalizer, and a Behringer stereo compressor limiter.  Nothing expensive or exotic.  I use one side of the compressor for light compression and for peak limiting.  That output goes to the other side which I use for overall control of output level to the rig.

2. There are three loops that drive the ALC: Forward power, Reverse power, and PA current.  I used a transistor switch to kill the Forward power loop only when in AM.  The other loops are intact.  I couldn't drive the positive peaks above 50% or so until I did this.  The 920 has a lovely DC signal to switch various things into AM mode.  I use the same signal to switch the transistor to short out the Forward power signal to the ALC system.

3. I found that there was a gain distribution problem in the balanced modulator and the stages downstream of it.  The DC current injected into the balanced modulator that sets the carrier level is fixed and way too high.  Using my external audio chain I could drive enough audio to fully modulate that high level but the resulting peaks got clipped downstream in the IF and mixers.  I had to increase the value of the current limiting resistor that feeds that DC current to reduce the carrier signal.  Then the final modulated signal would fit into the IF chain.  At the end of the chain, just before the PA, is a dual-gate FET that sets the overall power level via the front panel Power Level pot.  It has a great range and easily sets the required output to drive the PA. 

With those three items dealt with (good audio, no forward ALC, and proper gain distribution) I now have the best fully modulated 25 watts that will go through a 6 kHz filter.  My inverted vee on 75 is fed with homebrew OWL and is pretty efficient.  I've been getting good reports in MA and the South, generally expressing surprise that it's only 25 watts.  Especially when on AM, I always use my scope to keep an eye on things.  Even though the power is low, I don't want to be a band hog. 

The next move will be bypassing the 6 kHz filter in transmit and to rely on my EQ to keep things civil.  But that's for another day.

Best 73,
Chuck, NA3CW
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »

Chuck,
Thanks for sharing your higher level findings.   Not for the timid, but heck we don't have many timid people here on AMfone Wink

Steve,
As Chuck was going through the root cause analysis of his 920 and developing solutions for the problems, I kept thinking that this work needs to be shared.  When details are revealed, it seems fitting over on AM Window within the modifications section. 

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015