The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:05:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APACHE TX-1  (Read 5770 times)
AE1CT
« on: April 29, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SCHEMATIC OF SOLID STATEING THE 5R4GY TUBES. MINE ARE BROKEN AND ID RATHER REPLACE THE TUBES WITH SOLID STATE.
kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »

How about the manual PDF file? 

Email me at kb3rdt@windstream.net
AE1CT
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:05:56 PM »

HOW ABOUT THE MANUAL, WHAT? THE 5R4GY TUBES MAKE UP A FULL WAVE RECTIFIER BUT IF I USE 4 1KV AT 1.5AMP DIODES IN A FULL WAVE BRIDGE, AC GOES IN AND DC COMES OUT + AND -  IM A LITTLE CONFUSED ABOUT HOW TO WIRE IT UP TO BOTH TUBE SOCKETS. IM NOT GOING TO PLAY AROUND WITH 1800 VOLTS JUST TO BLOW UP MY APACHE.
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:53 PM »

The two 5R4 tubes are used as parallel full wave rectifiers so with a solid state replacement you only need to use one socket, available rectifier diodes will easily handle the current.  A total of 6 1N5408 rectifiers should be used, 3 to replace each section of a single 5R4.  You will also need a plug to fit the 5R4 socket (or a salvaged tube base) and a 150 ohm 20 to 25 watt resistor.

Make two strings of three 1N5408 rectifier diodes putting the diodes in series (anode to cathode) in each string.  Each string will start with an anode connection on one end and will end with a cathode connection on the other end.  Connect the anode of one string to pin 4 of the plug/tube base and the anode of the other string to pin 6.  Keep the two strings well separated  but bring the cathode ends to a common point and connect this to one end of your 180 ohm resistor.  Connect the other end of the resistor to pin 2 of the plug.

When replacing high vacuum rectifiers with solid state I also add an inrush current limiter to the associated power transformer primary because even with the series resistance the initial inrush surge to the capacitors will be greater with silicon rectifiers.

Rodger WQ9E
kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »

Sorry thought you need TX1 schematic!
AE1CT
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:22:06 AM »

WHICH RESISTOR IS IT.....150 OHM OR 180 OHM? YOU HAVE 2 DIFFERANT ONES IN YOUR POST.
WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:30:13 AM »

I meant 150 but actually a 100 ohm should be sufficient and will generate considerably less heat.  This will put the voltage reasonably in line with what the tube rectifiers would have produced, it will be a bit higher particularly under light load.

Rodger WQ9E
k3msb

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »

Roger, 

Since the 5R4 will drop about 67V at 0.25 A,  wouldn't R be as close to 268 ohms as you can get with standard resistors ?

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »

Hi Mark,

It is difficult to truly simulate the dynamic resistance of a high vacuum rectifier because the voltage drop versus current isn't linear and as you approach the full normal current draw the drop (and power dissipated in the resistor) become very high.  The current draw is probably in the neighborhood of 500 mils in AM on voice peaks which would result in 135 volts drop and around 70 watts dissipation in a 270 ohm dropping resistor.  

The Apache uses a choke input HV supply with a fairly stiff bleeder which does help regulation and the voltage rating for the caps gives you a little leeway for increased voltage.

In general I usually leave high vacuum rectifiers in place, it is the MV units I don't trust Smiley  Exceptions for me are my Hallicrafters HT-30, HT-32, HT-32B, and HT-37 transmitters which have the known weak insulation for the rectifier filament winding.  For those I use plenty of series resistance and inrush limiting.

On edit:  MV tubes are very easy to properly substitute using silicon rectifiers.  Voltage drop across a MV rectifier is fairly constant ranging between 5 to 15 volts for a healthy tube within rated current flow.  I just add a small series resistor (in addition to inrush limiting) to reduce the initial heavy capacitor charging current.  You could almost perfectly simulate the voltage drop of MV by using a large number of lower PIV rectifiers (each with a ~.7 drop) instead of a few higher PIV units.  A combination of this plus a series resistor could more closely simulate the operation of a high vacuum rectifier but the number of junctions required would be impractical and is rarely necessary.

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015