The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:48:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Caps Source  (Read 4620 times)
W6TOM
Contributing

« on: April 21, 2013, 10:46:07 PM »

Where would I find nonpcb oil caps to replaced the high voltage ones used in a T-368? Thanks!!
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »

They havent been manufactured with PCB's since the late 60's, early 70's and even a little damp spot is harmless.

Condensor Products in FL still makes them but you better have a nice balance on your credit card. I recently paid $425 + shipping for 35uF/5Kv to replace the leaking one in an Alpha 77SX (pair of 8877's) for a customer.

Carl
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:41:40 PM »

Watch folks post PCB caps on Ebay. Almost comical.

Collected FREE FB broadcast xmitters over 20 years ago due to hazardous waste paranoia.

Please do not eat or smoke PCB oil.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:09:01 AM »

Here you go:

http://commercialradiocompany.us

Nice guy to deal with.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 07:01:52 AM »

That's a good website, functional with no annoying bells and whistles and they have a nice product line but I got that restaurant menu "market price" feeling when I looked at it.  Huh   You know when there are no prices on the menu you can either head to Cracker Barrel or have your wallet vacuumed. 

I imagine not putting up prices is a negotiating tactic and to some extent I see the reasoning with print catalogs but with a website which is flexible I see no reason to not get the prices out there.  Or did I miss them? 

I got a pair of 100 uF 3 KV caps, GEs from the 1930s; they test fine but they aren't anything for a table-top cabinet  Cheesy  sure they have "pyranol" who cares, they'll be capacitating after I'm underground.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W9BHI

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »

Called Comercial radio company today for prices on some 2.5kv mica capacitors for my Valiant II.
Holy sh*t!  the 350pf was $41.00 and the 150pf was $61.00(cause all he had was a 2% tolerance part).
I can see why they don't post their prices, no one would ever buy anything.
Looks like you would be BENT OVER the cracker barrel while having your wallet vacuumed Embarrassed
Looks like it's RF parts doorknobs for me!

Don W9BHI
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 06:26:25 AM »

With those alleged high prices, it makes you re-evaluate whether you really need to replace. If yours are capacitating then let 'em be.
I had slightly leaky oil caps in my T-3. A little seepage at the connectors. Wear rubber gloves and wipe it up. Dispose of rags and gloves in a Ziplock baggie.
I had a nice experience with Commercial Radio in buying those large round caps used in the tank circuit for B'cast transmitters. I was moving a Gates BC1-H from 560 to the very top of the AM band. Expensive, yes, but I had a project ahead of me that wasn't going to be JS'd

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
VE3AJM

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:02:13 AM »

I've always just picked up parts/transformers/tubes for keeping my gear going or for future HB projects at the local hamfests, whether I needed the stuff at the time or not over a period of years. That way, I have a lot of the parts on hand if theres a crapout, or I want to build something up. That does take time. Having a good network of radio friends with similar interests, is invaluable.

The prices shown here for caps etc. are crazy excessive. But you do what you have to do. Unless the oil caps/transformers in the T-368 are leaking right now, there is no need to replace them really. Its up to you of course. I own some 60+ yr. old military Marconi RCAF FRT-501 transmitters, full of oil caps and hermetically sealed oil filled transformers, and they are all in good shape as far as leaks are concerned.

Al VE3AJM
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »

You can replace both with a single newer cap.  Two is not needed. I got my capacitor from a place in PHX that deals in all types of equipment. Its marked NON PCB right on it. I seem to remember it being 14 or 18 mfd.  I think it was $50..  I ended up with a bit more capacitance.  You can cut the old mounting brackets down and bend the edge over in a vice or break.  Then, The new, shorter cap will bolt right in.  Use HV wire with ring terminals. 

You can also use a few of the hockey puck capacitors. I used them in my Thunderbolt resto and they work great. They would mount into the T3 with a few simple screws and have a built in mounting flanges.   The ones I used where called CDE 944U's. You would need three of them for the the T3 wired up.  Might cost.  So other options will be cheaper.  I would go this route. The 944s are low ESR and will run 150% over the ratings at huge current.  They are not even working in a transmitter at 500MA.

Dont let complete idiots, tell you that PCB oil wont harm you.  Those caps contain all kinds of chemicals. 209 to be exact. Animals and humans dont take kindly to it. The main complaint is reproductive problems. This of course explains some peoples behavior after being around PCBs all the time. If my "system" stopped working, I too, Would be in a bad mood all the time. LOL  c

If you want a burning throat, and breathing problems by all means,  Keep it in your home around pets and loved ones.  In a big open shop?  Might not matter. 

Another issue is when PCB caps catch on fire.  Then you have hydrogen chloride Gas. No thanks.

WIth those T3 caps, they used a CORK seal that is now 60 years old.  Thats the real issue here. You can replace the cork with tight fitting orings but why not just get rid of them?  If your caps are not leaking, then you have no issue as there are no exposed PCB, inside a cabinet with a blower sending that crap all around your home.

C

* IMAG1186.jpg (164.4 KB, 768x1280 - viewed 398 times.)
VE3AJM

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »

So do we actually know if the oil caps in W6TOMs T-3 are leaking, or is he just choosing to replace them in a proactive way? Have they caught on fire, God forbid??

I've noticed this quite often on the site. Providing an answer to an original question is lost because of all kinds of spurious comments/hyperbole given in replies, and then the original questioner never comes back. I agree that PCB oil is toxic and dangerous stuff that you don't want to expose yourself to, but the "on fire" reference with the capacitors just whips up unnecessary hysteria.

Al VE3AJM
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:29:40 PM »

why would anyone use a leaky capacitor in the first place? Why deal with the potential mess and odor/vapor whether PCB or not. One is exposed more so to other oily substances than the "occasional" oil capacitor in their HB transmitter.   Heck, exposure to used motor oil is not healthy by any stretch and I'm willing to bet most of us have ended up with crapped up hands every few months when maintaining our autos and power tools. I'm sure I have PCB caps and non-PCB caps here and if any are oozing anything they will be dumped.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015