The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 03:48:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: movie prop  (Read 1876 times)
KB5MD
Contributing

« on: April 01, 2013, 03:56:31 PM »

I watched the movie "Long Ride Home" with Randy Travis this weekend and couldn't believe it when they showed a scene in the "telegraph office".  The telegraph operator is to send a message and he sits down at the operating desk and there is a code practice buzzer and key complete with a flashlight
battery that they are passing off as a real old west telegraph key.  Not to accurate in the technical aspect although the movie wasn't too bad.
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:49:07 PM »

My brother helped put together a restored, relocated train depot and came up with some vintage telegraphy stuff that really is cool.

The old black and white photo in this vid has some original RR gear that matches items in the depot he's involved with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x95ycVzD5pE
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »

Ah yes, the Norge depot. Very cool. It's no longer at its original location. It now sits next to the James City Library a few miles north. Apparently similar depots existed at Lightfoot, Ewell Station and Toano in the past. It's hard to imagine that there could be that many train stops in such a small area just outside of Williamsburg. Maybe they didn't all exist at the same time.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »

Neat stuff.
One of the reasons I went to work for the gas co. was that a childhood friend of mine 's dad worked as a dispatcher using American Morse.  Remember visiting the ol' man at work during our school lunch hour.  We'd hang around outside the open window listening to the Sounders clacking away.  "That's the job I want someday," I told Denny.
   That was around 1958 or so and the telegraph equip. / manual valve control was phased out for tone control / pressure valve operators shortly thereafter.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015