The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:32:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: After 60 years - Electronics Repair Shop Closing its Doors.  (Read 6776 times)
Jim KF2SY

« on: March 13, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »

Lake Electronics was the last man standing in the Albany, NY area.
Knew a few techs that passed thru there.   End of an era.
 "Disposable" electronics is the consumer mindset nowadays.

http://lakeelec.com/

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:50:05 PM »

Wow.

These guys were a big repair shop...

Guess there is nothing worth repairing any longer.

Bummer.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »

Sep 16, 1996, 12:00am EDT
Family energizes 44-year-old electric appliance repair shop

When Mike Triolo's father started Lake Electronic Service Inc. in 1952, people bought electronic equipment the way they now buy a car--carefully, with the intention of keeping it a long time.

When the radio or the blender or the phonograph broke, they fixed it. Or better yet, they brought it to Vince Triolo to fix. As the post-World War II economic boom filled people's houses with more appliances, Lake Electronic prospered.

But today we live in a throwaway world when it comes to consumer electronics, said Mike Triolo, now president of Lake Electronic in Colonie.

A television set that used to cost thousands can be had for less than $500. When it breaks, it often is cheaper to replace than to repair. A $20 toaster just isn't worth fixing.

Lake Electronic has responded by dropping the small household appliances that once were its bread and butter and concentrating on bigger things like camcorders, photocopiers and facsimile machines.

"Most people don't want to put in more than half of what they paid for the item," Triolo said. The company charges between $15 and $25 just for an estimate, which eliminates most of the smaller items.

Still, Lake Electronic is known for taking equipment that is odd or hard to fix, if people are willing to pay for it. Turntables, reel-to-reel tape recorders and even 8-track tape players occasionally show up at the shop at 1650 Central Ave., although Triolo said sources for parts are drying up rapidly.

Another big change has been the shift to digital equipment, with the microchip replacing many of the old mechanical parts. For Triolo, this means devoting a lot of time to recruiting and training technicians to keep up with rapid technological changes.

"There are not a lot of new people getting into the field," he said.

Since the beginning, Lake Electronic has been family owned. From the age of 10, Mike Triolo was there, sweeping floors or tinkering alongside the technicians at their benches. A tunnel under Central Avenue provided quick access from Colonie Elementary School to his father's shop across the street.

Vince Triolo died in 1973; the school building now is a community center. But Lake Electronic is in the same building and continues as a family business.

Mike Triolo, now 48, owns the business with his uncle, Tony Mirabile, who retired three years ago but still works there a few days a week. Mirabile's son, Andy Mirabile, is vice president.

Despite the changes in technology and the kinds of things Lake Electronic works on, it still has the look of an old-fashioned repair shop. Technicians work at individual benches with tools and parts spread out before them, taking things apart and putting them together.

Lake Electronic's 20 technicians work in groups, specializing in one kind of equipment. Three people work only on videocassette recorders and camcorders; another five do nothing but stereo systems or televisions. One technician handles car stereos (a relatively new service); another does air conditioners.

Much of the 8,300-square-foot building is used to store pieces that are coming in or are ready to be picked up. One closet-sized room is full of vacuum cleaners; another is devoted to equipment that is boxed and ready to be shipped to customers.

Eighty percent of Lake Electronic's business comes from walk-in customers--about 200 a day, Triolo said.

In a recent remodeling of the lobby, the company installed a number system for customers, like a supermarket deli. This removes some of the anxiety of waiting, Triolo said, and allows customers to browse over the electronic equipment for sale, mostly items that other customers never picked up.

There often is a wait to get service at the counters, even when they are all staffed. It takes time for people to explain what went wrong with their television or microwave or dehumidifier, Triolo said. And then there are the quirky requests.

People have brought in metal detectors for repair, portable scoreboards, even a pitching machine, he said.

Recently a customer said he needed four Toshiba coffee makers, the kind that grind whole beans and brew the coffee all in one step. Toshiba had discontinued the model and no longer had the parts, but Lake Electronic had enough parts lying around to put together a single coffee maker, Triolo said. (There weren't enough parts for four.)

Altogether, the company repairs between 450 and 500 units a week, Triolo said. Business is slightly better so far this year than in 1995, which he described as "awful." Lake Electronic grossed about $1.9 million last year, down from well over $2 million the year before.

Triolo blamed the soft economy in general and state government staff reductions in particular for a weak 1995. People put off getting equipment fixed if the home budget is tight, he said.

"If you have four TVs in your house and one goes down, you can live without it," he said.

Getting parts for equipment has become faster and easier than 30 years ago, when Triolo started working full time at his father's shop. But that also has meant that customers expect quicker turnaround. "People really want stuff back fast," he said.

Triolo said he is considering adding computer repair to Lake Electronic's services, by becoming part of the service network for Sony Corp.'s new personal computers.

Computers would be a big departure for Lake Electronic. Most of what the company does is still based on finding the bad component of a piece of equipment and replacing it. A lot of computer repair, on the other hand, is done by replacing whole circuit boards when something goes wrong.

Such a shift would require a lot of retraining of technicians, but many in the fast-changing electronics repair business, including Triolo, see this as necessary.

"We have to change with the times or get left behind," he said.

The training schools, too, constantly are updating their courses to graduate people who are marketable in the changing workplace.

"We view the traditional bench technician as becoming obsolete," said Helena Powers, administrative manager at Spencer Business and Technical Institute, a technical training school in Schenectady.

"The majority of items run on microchips. As the price of chips comes down, it is definitely cheaper to just replace them than to hire someone to diagnose the problem and spend the hours to repair something," she said.

But Spencer still teaches "the basics," said August Bicknese, an electronics instructor. "As long as people have TVs and VCRs, there will be a need for bench technicians."

But the school is putting more emphasis on data communications, which Bicknese said is the wave of the future in electronics. He recently added courses on communications protocol and fiber optics, noting that they have wide applications.

"My goal is to get people out there who are marketable, who can work anywhere from the A&P to NASA," he said.

Ralph Folger, director of research and development for a NYNEX Corp.-sponsored training program at Hudson Valley Community College in Troy, said fewer people are going from the school into the kind of technical bench work that Lake Electronic traditionally has offered.

"Vocational training programs used to produce a lot who would go directly into the work force," said Folger, who formerly chaired HVCC's electrical engineering technology department. Some still go out as technicians at the end of HVCC's two-year program, but more are going on to graduate programs at other schools, he said.

HVCC, too, has adjusted its curriculum to meet the advances in technology. Folger said the program has added an introduction to computer technology course, reflecting the increased reliance on personal computers in consumer electronics, and the concurrent shift from analog to digital technology.

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/1996/09/16/smallb1.html?page=all
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »

I liked their sign.

klc

What? Me worry?
W3LSN

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:34:09 AM »

Lake Electronics was the last man standing in the Albany, NY area.

I lived in the Albany area for a few years back in the 1980's.  I used to do a lot of shopping at Adirondack Electronics down the street a bit from Lake. 

In the Albany area I distinctly remember an electronic parts and repair shop run by an older gentleman named Les (Leslie). I think he ran the business out of a section of his home.  Both Les and his shop were a throwback to a bygone era. I was impressed because Les had a framed copy of his Amateur Extra First Class Ticket hanging in the shop.  He was that old!  I still think of him from time to time, but I suspect he likely passed from the scene years ago.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »

In the Albany area I distinctly remember an electronic parts and repair shop run by an older gentleman named Les (Leslie). I think he ran the business out of a section of his home.[/quote]

Les Couch..I forget his call sign.  Went to his place for parts when I was AJ20 and living up in Saratoga Springs in 1977-1979.  Lots of local hams would drop by on Saturday mornings on a regular basis.  I think maybe his son or sons was running the business at the time...and it was indeed run from his house. I hink he was in Schenectady.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W2JRO

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »

I barely remember another radio shop in the general area....Fort Orange Radio in Albany...I think it was closed down sometime in the mid to late 70's It was owned by Dave Marks, W2APF (SK).
My dad worked part time there in the early 50's...right around the time Dave received his personal KW-1...Dave was much more a salesman than a technician, my dad told me of a running joke that someone was always on standby in case Dave needed help with the KW-1.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »

Yea, he smoked a cigar and sent CQ with the smoke - or so the QST ads showed.  Grin
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 05:34:56 PM »

Yea, he smoked a cigar and sent CQ with the smoke - or so the QST ads showed.  Grin

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Foldqslcards.com%2FW2APF.pdf&ei=JkJCUaHwD5O24AOw1YDACA&usg=AFQjCNE3_4Zcv3QawK_Be2oqEcUJL5NIQw&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmg&cad=rja

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »

I barely remember another radio shop in the general area....Fort Orange Radio in Albany...I think it was closed down sometime in the mid to late 70's It was owned by Dave Marks, W2APF (SK).
My dad worked part time there in the early 50's...right around the time Dave received his personal KW-1...Dave was much more a salesman than a technician, my dad told me of a running joke that someone was always on standby in case Dave needed help with the KW-1.

I used to talk with W2APE when no one was around. He was the only one who would truly listen....
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:52:17 PM »

Les Couch, on Sand Creek Road. W2HVM "High Voltage Mary".

Made it into his 90s... basement full of pickle jars and mayonnaise jars filled with surplus parts... great place to visit and get stuff...

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3LSN

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 11:56:01 PM »

Les Couch..I forget his call sign. 

There is a death record online recording the passing of Leslie S. Couch, Albany NY, in 1993.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »

I used to talk with W2APE when no one was around.

I thought that was your old call? The Ape Man?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015