The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soft Start for Viking Ranger  (Read 2824 times)
K5MIL
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »

I recently restored a Viking Ranger that I picked up at a local auction. The unit already had the keying mod with the 12AU7 and 6AL5 bias rectifier installed. I added the PTT to talk mod, solid state diodes (1N4007) to  the power supply and increased the capacitance in the HV circuit. For the PTT, I used a 12VDC relay and for the coil relay voltage I constructed a voltage doubler circuit taken from the six volt filament supply. I am always a bit nervous about the power transformers in this older equipment. The manufacturers often spec'd components to operate at pretty much close to their limits, and since these transformers have been around for quite a few years they often are getting a little tired, so any help they can get is usually appreciated. With solid state rectifiers in place of the rectifier tubes, the load on the transformer is reduced by approximately 17 watts because of not having to heat the rectifier filaments, however with SS rectifiers that means at turn on, there is an immediate surge to charge up the filter capacitors. I thought I would like to reduce that surge a bit by installing a soft start circuit which would limit the input current for a few seconds before allowing full voltage to be applied. I chose to use a solid state relay, mainly because I had one in the junk box. It is an Opto-22 model 120D10, capable of switching up to 20 amps. The turn on voltage can be as little as three volts.

http://radioremembered.org/images/RangerSoftStart/ssr-1.jpg

The relay contacts (the "contacts" are two Silicon Controlled Rectifiers back-to-back)  are in series with the power transformer primary and a 90 ohm 10 watt resistor is connected across the contacts. This puts the 90 ohm resistor in series with the primary until the contacts close, which then shorts out the resistor.

The relay turn on time delay consists of a 3.9K resistor in series with a 4700 mfd capacitor. The voltage is taken from the 12vdc relay supply. When power is turned on, DC voltage from the PTT voltage doubler circuit is applied across the resistor and capacitor and it takes approximately six seconds for the charge on the capacitor to reach around 3 volts, at which time the relay kicks in to short the 90 ohm resistor. This not only gives the filter capacitors time to partially charge, but also is less shock on the tube filaments. See the circuite below. Added components are in red.

http://radioremembered.org/images/RangerSoftStart/softstart.jpg

The SS relay was mounted on the side of the chassis directly behind where the line cord enters. I had to remove the input filter coils and capacitors in order to have room for the relay (TVI is not the worry it was back then). I left the two terminal strips in place and the relay fit nicely between them. Picture below.

http://radioremembered.org/images/RangerSoftStart/ssr-2.jpg

The values for the time constant (3.9K and 4700 mfd) can be changed to give longer or shorter relay engage times.

I plan on adding a bucking transformer to reduce the line voltage from the 120+ volts I have here to around 115 which should reduce stress on the components even more.

Bill - K5MIL

http://radioremembered.org
wa3dsp

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:57:27 AM »

Bill,

Great to hear another Ranger has been restored and is on the air. It sounds like you did a good job. I just finished restored one myself last month and I documented it at my website -

http://www.crompton.com/hamradio/JohnsonRanger/RangerRestoration.html

You might check that out because many of the changes I made were aimed at reducing wasted power and added heat. It runs very cool now. You can use the 5V rectifier filament you are no longer using to buck the primary. I did that and if my line is extra high I use an external box with a 12@3A CT transformer. That gives an additional 6 or 12 volt buck. If you have an accurate AC digital meter looking at the filament voltage is a good way to set the line. Aim for 6-6.3VAC.

Just taking out the two rectifiers kills The filament power and heat but probably adds some of it back with additional heating in the bleeders with higher voltages. Other changes I made take care of that and then some.

My changes to the Ranger were pretty extensive and you probably don't want to get that involved but you can really improve on the original design in many ways. Mine was an early kit and not built real well so I basically rebuilt it and made the changes as I went along.

As far a a step-start or inrush current limit circuit I really don't think that is necessary as the Ranger has choke input filters on the high and low B+. That being said it certainly would not hurt anything to put one in.

Doug
WA3DSP
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:31:59 AM »

A couple of thermistors on the primary is simple and effective.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

A couple of thermistors on the primary is simple and effective.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 12:35:28 PM »

Bill. Thanks for posting.  That is a neat way to handle the issue only using a few small parts.  I have used those SSR's before and they are magic.   

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015