The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:09:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B29 'FIFI' - ART-13 Aeronautical Mobile RIGHT NOW  (Read 3143 times)
NE4AM

« on: July 18, 2012, 10:20:16 AM »

The last flying B29 bomber, 'FIFI', is currently airborne from Dallas TX to Cedar Rapids IA.  They are on the air RIGHT NOW using a restored ART-13 transmitter, using the call N0A/B29.  I do not know the frequency, but it will be either in 40M or 20M.  The ETA in Cedar Rapids is 12:30 CDT, so LISTEN NOW!

http://b29radio.com/LATEST%20NEWS.html

73 Dave.

73 - Dave
NE4AM

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »

Now on 7203 phone.

73 - Dave
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »

Darn!!!! I'm at work!

Anybody plan to make some audio recordings for the rest of us?

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
NE4AM

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »

Now passing Tulsa OK

73 - Dave
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »

Listened in on them for an hour or so and heard N0A talking with Rod/W5CZ and a couple other stations. Good copy for a while, probably while they were departing the TX area. There didn't seem to be any sort of organization though, perhaps planned that way. I heard several stations blind calling, K9EYE and WA4PUB who managed to call right on top of N0A numerous times. Eventually they faded out after drifting down a kc or so. Heading back out to do so more work in the station, hopefully they'll be back in there. It sounded like 40 was being 40 with the usual drop outs.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:35:18 PM »

I listen for about 30 min on 7205, but didn't hear anything except for some SSB stations.  I guess no copy in NJ.

Fred
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »

I pondered whether or not to revive this old thread, but after listening to the recordings of the old ART-13 being operated from the last flying B-29 I figured it might be interesting to a few people here.

Yesterday on 15 meter AM I ran into N5AEA - Ed who told me about the operating event that took place last July. During the QSO he mentioned that the Collins Collectors Association had recorded and posted the 40 meter conversations between AM stations on the ground and the crew of the "FiFi". Late last night I received an email from Ed with links to the Collins Collectors Association recordings. The recordings are in mp3 format and make for interesting background listening as you work away at your workbench on a rainy day!

The first link below has photos and some background and the second link has the mp3 recordings in 7 separate files:

http://www.collinsradio.org/fifi-flight-schedule-and-possible-contact-times

http://www.collinsradio.org/fif-qso

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015