The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:38:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a question about switches  (Read 5152 times)
KG0MN

« on: February 19, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »

I have never heard these terms before and wonder what they are called today.

half wafer switch

quarter wafer switch

This is in reference to a switch that goes in an Eico  145A signal tracer.

Thanks
Kevin
wa3dsp

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:55:21 AM »

Kevin,

Yes they made wafer that were less than a full circle. Often these were used as power switches on equipment and usually had 2-4 positions or so and only one gang. You see them on a lot of old equipment. Heath used them as did many others. They were either rotary or lever switches.

They still make rotary and lever switches but probably not the open brown wafer style that you have in your signal tracer. Did you need a replacement or were you just asking about the type?
KG0MN

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »

I am actually in need of one.  The person that assembled the signal tracer did not bother to wire it completely and instead of installing the switch for the AC Off - Trace - Test Amp/Spkr they installed a toggle switch as you can see in this photograph.

According to the ad they wired it so it was a signal tracer only and I will be wiring it in its entirety. I happen to have a switch or two like it the only problem being they are all in working Heathkit gear.  I need a better junk box...  If you would happen to have one or something similar I would gladly pay for it.

Kevin
wa3dsp

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »

Kevin,

I think that switch might be more than just a single pole multiple position. Do you have a schematic of this unit? If so let me know where it is or put a copy up here.
KG0MN

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »

Here is the schematic

To get a better view right click and "View Image"
wa3dsp

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »

OK its pretty clear what it is now. I am not home right now but maybe tomorrow I can look and see what I might have. It won't be the same as what is in there but could be made to work. Also perhaps someone else might chime in and have something.
KG0MN

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »

Thanks Doug I appreciate the help.  By the way I love your web site, if everyone in the forum has not taken the time to have a look, in my opinion it is a very informative site and nicely laid out.

Kevin
wa3dsp

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »

Thanks Kevin, and I really like your QRZ page. A really nice story.

Doug
wa3dsp

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:06:28 AM »

OK, I put together a wafer switch that will work. It is a 5 pole 3 position wafer. How are you with figuring it out from there? I can make a drawing but if you need me to I can wire it and label the wires. That is not a problem. Is your QRZ address good?

You will need to come up with a knob. I will look in my knob junk box but it is doubtful.
KG0MN

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 02:22:32 AM »

Doug please let me know how much you need for for the knob and will send you the money.  If you have a Paypal account I can do it that way which might be the fastest.  Just to be on the safe side please do the diagram and then I will be sure how it goes.   Thanks again for the effort you have put forward.

Kevin
wa3dsp

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »

Kevin, The switch and a knob went in the mail today. Let me know when you get it and if it works out OK. The knob is not an exact match but will work if you can't find anything better. And there is no charge. I have a large junk box and I would never be able to use everything I have in my remaining lifetime. I am always glad to help out when I can.
KG0MN

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »

Thanks Doug I really appreciate it and this just confirms to me that this is one of the most generous hobbies a person can find.  Whether it be kind of acts like yours or others offering sage advice helping out new hams it is a generous people like you that makes this hobby great.
KG0MN

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »

Hi Doug,

I got the switch and thanks to your perfect instructions it took all of about 5 minutes to put it in and solder the wires.  I can report that it works as it was designed to work and the knob looks very nice, so an extra thanks for it the switch.

Kevin
wa3dsp

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »

Kevin,

Glad to have been able to help and also glad another old piece of electronic equipment has been restored.

73 Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015