The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:59:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lazy Susan (not the wife)  (Read 2403 times)
k7mdo
Contributing

« on: February 08, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »

OK, this isn't too technical but I think it has turned out so well that someone in the forums might benefit from the construction of one of these.

A recently acquired R-390A made me re-think my physical strength so I decided to build a rotary table that would facilitate the process of assembly and dissassembly.  Quite often a boat anchor only needs to turn a few degrees to access a screw or a solder joint and rather than lift and groan I decided to try a "lazy Susan" approach.

I built a low height square workbench and then found on Amazon a lazy Susan bearing set rated at 1,000 lbs.  Drilled it to the top of the workbench and then from one of the home improvement centers purchased a 2' by 2' piece of 3/4" plywood for the top.  Turned the 2'x2' into a circle on the bandsaw for the rotating top.  Then, because I feared the potential of "off center" loading I added four perimeter 1" square pads of delrin the same thickness as the bearing set "just in case". 

It works like a dream, it will hold most any reasonable boat anchor and the ability to rotate it at will turns out to be a huge improvement over the "armstrong" method. 

* Lazy Susan small.JPG (132.7 KB, 944x630 - viewed 466 times.)
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:16:53 PM »

Super idea, and a great looking shack!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
kv5i

Me & best friend John-W5ZKT(SK)

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:33:41 PM »

I bought a six inch ball bearing corner cabinet ring at Home Depot for $5. I cut four 1/2 inches pieces of 12x12 plywood out of scrap and glued them together. I screwed the ring to them and cut about a 15" piece of scrap 2x6 and screwed it to the other side of the ring. Holds my 110 lb Collins 32v's very well. Maybe it would work for others. I think the ring was rated at 500lb, but I could be wrong.
good luck, Ed

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,<br />Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. <br />- Hamlet (1.5.166-7), Hamlet to Horatio
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »

Very neat idea!

Bill KA8WTK
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:08:54 AM »

A couple years ago, I finally got tired of wrestling things around on the bench, and as you can see it really isn't deep enough anyway, so

I came up with a very similar solution, using a lazy susan bearing ring.   It has worked well but when you're troubleshooting the leads get to be fairly long.

I'm currently making a second, deeper bench, so I can finally separate the radios and test equipment.  I think I'll take just take the lazy susan part of the little table and make it so I can just set it on the new bench anywhere.   I think that will be a better solution and, I can also recoup a little floor space in the process.

Having the ability to do wood working can really compliment the radio hobby at times.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015