The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 12:15:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BEHRINGER 802 HOW TO HOOKUP TO A VIKING VALAINT AND MIC ANY SUGGESTIONS  (Read 3368 times)
W5ZML

« on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »

HELLO ANY ONE OUT THERE CAN TELL ME HOW TO HOOKUP A BEHRINGER 802 ,TO MY VIKING VALAINT AND MIC .WHAT DO I NEED TO GET THIS HOOKED UP ANY SUGGESTIONS.THANKYOU RICHARD W5ZML
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:56:13 AM »

Plug it in?

You need the proper connecting cables.

Go out of the LINE OUT from the 1/4" phone plug output on the 802.
From that to the proper connector for the Valiant. You need to make that cable.
Or change the plug on one side of an existing cable.

Turn DOWN the mic gain, almost to OFF

Keep the Master Gain on the 802 LOW, so that you don't overmodulate the mic input
on the Valiant...

Mic input gain is very sensitive - Line OUTPUT from the 802 is very LOUD compared to mic level. You have to compensate, minimize the output from the 802 and turn the mic input WAY down.

Ideally you modify the Valiant for a "Line Input". A separate question. Probably covered here before - do a search?

Also, keep ur paws OFF the "Treble" control. Boosting that will make you splatter.
Period. It should be set at 12 o'clock or lower, never higher. If it has a "high cut" button, (don't think it does) use it.

Plug the mic either in via the 1/4" phone jack OR the XLR input, depending on what sort of mic you have.

PTT has to be externally triggered, or the xmitr has to be manually keyed with the front panel switch.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W5ZML

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »

THANKYOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP FIRST TIME AROUND FOR ME ON THIS MIXER.I AM USING A D-104 UN-AMPLIED TUG-STAND MICROPHONE ON THE VALAINT.SO ACTUALLY I WILL NEED TO MAKE -UP A PATCH CORD FROM THE MIC JACK COMING OUT OF VALAINT TO MIXER THEN PLUG D-104 IN THE MIXER GOT-CHA THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP SINCERLY GREATFULL 73'S RICHARD
WBear2GCR

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »

Forgot to mention.

The output (line out) 1/4" plug is likely going into a TRS (stereo) 1/4" jack.
So IF this is what they use (check the manual) then you should use a TRS plug, but skip either the Tip or the Ring connection...

Also, if you are using a D-104, it wants to see a very very high impedance load.
The mixer will not give you a very very high impedance load.

You have two choices:

1. try it as is, and boost the bass control, see if it will create a "natural" sounding voice, not a thin communications quality sound.

2. better, and in the event (1.) does not work, you should build a JFET follower circuit into the bass of the mic, it runs off a 9v battery and takes a JFET and two or three resistors.

The circuit can be found somewhere on this site, maybe in the "Technical Info" area.

_-_-

PS. remember that treble control will boost highs WAY above where you want highs boosted. It will boost more higher in frequency than where you want to boost, so don't
boost that. Flat or rolled off is ok (if rolled off works).

PPS. the Mic Gain control probably should be set lowish, again you don't need that much gain to drive the mic input.

WBear2GCR

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »

Now, you asked how to do something... but I wonder why you want to use the mixer?

With a suitable change to the input resistor (between the mic jack and the grid of the first tube) to something like 2megohm or more, the D-104 will sound quite excellent directly into the rig.

And, with the use of the JFET follower circuit in the base of the mic, no change is needed for the D-104 to sound quite excellent by itself.

I run this way myself...

_-_-

W8IXY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »

I use the "Phone Patch" input on the Valiant, the RCA jack on the back.  That connects directly to the cathode of the 2nd audio stage, the 12AX7.  There is a slight DC voltage developed across the cathode resistor.  That small voltage may adversely affect any directly coupled output stage from the external source.

I have tried both a blocking cap and a good quality low impedance transformer to couple audio into that cathode, and found the transformer worked better.  I used a high quality 600 ohm to 150 ohm transformer, the 600 ohm side to a line level output from the external device and the 150 ohm side to the tube's cathode. 

Since I wanted to maintain the small amount of cathode bias in the 12AX7 developed across the resistor, I put a 1000 ohm resistor in series with the side of the transformer connected to the 12AX7 cathode, since there is a DC path to ground through the transformer.

I've used several devices to drive the "Phone Patch" input, including a Symetrix 528, a CRL 400 AM modulation controller, an Omnia 3 AM processor and an Omnia 5 AM processor, and got good results with all those devices and the transformer/resistor coupling.

Ted  W8IXY
WBear2GCR

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »

That seems like the proper way to go... tnx...

You can capacitively couple the xfmr too... ought to work.

_-_-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015