The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 09:22:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kludge: Pronunciation?  (Read 7088 times)
N2CQR
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:03:35 AM »

I first heard this term while listening to 75 meter AM in the Northeast during the mid 70's.   So I turn to you guys for a ruling:  Is it Kludge and in FUDGE?  Or Kludge as in STOOGE? 

Thanks and FARG

Bill N2CQR
http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:12:15 AM »

As in stooge.

Fred KC4MOP
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:48:17 AM »

Yes,

but do you mean "Kludge",  or "Kluge"  ?

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »

As in "stooge"...

meaning something that isn't quite the right way to do it, but it seems to work, at least for the moment...

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »

I would pronounce it as rhyming with "stooge".. but:

The present word has alternate spellings (kludge and kluge) and pronunciations (pron.: /ˈklʌdʒ/ and /ˈkluːdʒ/, rhyming with fudge and stooge respectively), and several proposed etymologies.

The Oxford English Dictionary (2nd ed., 1989) kludge entry cites one source for this word's earliest recorded usage, definition, and etymology: Jackson W. Granholm's 1962 "How to Design a Kludge" article, which appeared in the American computer magazine Datamation.
kludge (/ˈkluːdʒ/) Also kluge. [J. W. Granholm's jocular invention: see first quot.; cf. also bodge v., fudge v.]
'An ill-assorted collection of poorly-matching parts, forming a distressing whole' (Granholm); esp. in Computing, a machine, system, or program that has been improvised or 'bodged' together; a hastily improvised and poorly thought-out solution to a fault or 'bug'. …

The word 'kludge' is...derived from the German adjective klug, originally meaning 'smart' or 'witty'.... 'Kludge' eventually came to mean 'not so smart'.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »

I first heard it back in the 60's from a Gilfillan Bros. radar engineer Bill Worth, he said it like 'stooge'.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »

...sort of like Ersatz, I am led to believe that in German it means "real thing" or genuine, but in idiomatic American it means "fake" or "a copy".

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »

I've always heard and said it rhyming with stooge also.

About 35 years ago as I recall I read an article in a professional electronics magazine that said Kludge was actually an engineer's name and one of his creations became known as a kludge.

Just part of the article on kludge in Wikipedia:

"Another hypothesis for the origin of the term dates back to 1907, "when John Brandtjen convinced two young machinists from Oslo, Norway named Abel and Eneval Kluge to service and install presses for his fledgling printing equipment firm" (see external link, history of the Kluge Platen Press). In 1919, the brothers invented an automatic feeder for printing presses which, by 1929, allowed Brandtjen & Kluge to move into a 3-story building in St. Paul, MN. The Kluge brothers continued to innovate, and the company still exists as of 2011.

While the automatic feeder was a success, unverified sources claim that it developed a reputation for being temperamental, prone to breakdowns, and difficult to repair. Given that the feeder bore the Kluge name, it seems reasonable that it became a byword for overly-complex mechanical contraptions. The Free Online Dictionary of Computing (FOLDOC) claims that the term kluge "was used in connection with computers as far back as the mid-1950s and, at that time, was used exclusively of *hardware* kluges".[2] The fact that it was originally applied only to hardware again points back to the paper feeder as the original source of the term."

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »

Kludge is a widely used term in the engineering profession, but the term JSing seems to be limited to the amateur AM community.  Where did that come from, is it a Tronism?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »

Here ya go:

http://www.qsl.net/k9fh/kluge/index.html
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 09:43:49 PM »

"An ill-assorted collection of poorly-matching parts, forming a distressing whole' (Granholm); esp. in Computing, a machine, system, or program that has been improvised or 'bodged' together; "

some ham gear is like that.
some only looks that way.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015