The AM Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:02:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January 20th WA1LGQ to G0FWX with 1/2 Watt  (Read 6295 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« on: January 20, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »

Larry - WA1LGQ and I were chatting locally on 28.991 MHz this morning as he was giving his little Heathkit 10 Meter Lunchbox a workout. It was our lucky day as Gary - G0FWX happened to see our signals on his panadapter and he broke in to say hello. The recording documents the exchange between Larry as he is running 1/2 watt and Gary who is located near Cambridge in England. It was an unexpected bit of excitement on an otherwise quiet band!

Rob W1AEX

* WA1LGQ and G0FWX one half watt AM.mp3 (2176.73 KB - downloaded 371 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »

Very cool at 1/2 watt.  

Brilliant! -  as the Brits say.

The classic saying applies here:  "You can work the whirl on a wet noodle when 10M is open."

Amazing difference between 1/2 to 15 watts.  About 14 dB technically.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »

Great fun : )
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 04:44:49 PM »

I would like to know more about his set up. Lunch box? I know what that is but antenna, its  height  etc. That interests me. I am working on a 10M transceiver project right now. is therea web site or something?
Don VE3LYX

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:38:57 PM »

Hi Don, the "lunchbox" is a Heathkit HW-19 simple transceiver.http://www.heathkit-museum.com/ham/hvmhw-19-29-30.shtml

I don't know why the output is only about .6 watts. Maybe the rig needs service. I have not done anything to it except clean the tube sockets and tweak the adjustments. The antenna used was a simple homemade vertical "J-pole" made from wire and a piece of ladder line modeled after this design: http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=19622

The antenna is simply pulled up into a tree, and the bottom of the antenna is at about 35ft height. The mic I used on the rig is a D-104 with the original preamp gutted and replaced with a single FET preamp. It drives the modulator pretty heavily. Actually this was the first QSO that I made with the thing! The transmitter needs a vfo of some kind or a handful of xtals.

What kind of setup are you thinking about setting up?

..........Larry
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »

Yes I am familiar with the "lunch box" sets. Neat radios. Thanks for the antenna info. That interests me greatly.
What rig for me? I have been working on this rig here, a two tube transceiver. I have it running right now on 29000 and it has a stable VFO. I have it modulating but it could use a bit stronger kick.  It has a  regen for a recvr Both tx VFO and regen are hartley circiuts. It is capable as a stand alone of probaby 3.5 watts put if everthing is perfect but I have no problem with the idea of building a small linear for it when it is parked in the shack, It is portable though and built in a small file box. I also have a 6sa7 mixer tube rig i built. It, like yours, has more then enuf modulation available and puts out about 7 watts RF. It is really hard on the mixer tubes though. I just need to push them too hard once and they are done. I need to cut back on the Plate B plus and I am using them above their proper values. The other tubes in the rig can stand almost double. I built it on 40m but that is pointless to the point of being stupid. I can move it to ten easy enuf and will. During my probationary phone days with my first license before I got my advanced I was limited to 10M phone or Cw anywhere so I got to enjoy it and knew how to work the band. Now 30 years later I have a renewed interest in 10M because of this AM thing. I know when ten is open power is almost irrelevant. Seems like a good place to be with this stuff. I was very interested in your success. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Good DXing
Don

* 12x7a transmitter.jpg (33.44 KB, 455x644 - viewed 646 times.)

* 127.jpg (169.38 KB, 1277x958 - viewed 705 times.)

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015