The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 04:27:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Is a Link Radio 230D Frequency Meter/Monitor All About?  (Read 1789 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: January 05, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

I came across this oddity while doing my basement/shack cleanout.  Think I picked it up at NearFest/Hosstraders at some point, apparently for  $5.00 or less - someone had put that price on the front cover with a permanent marker...

It's a very tall (about 16")  and narrow  (about 8 inches square footprint) OD green  military looking portable piece of test gear with a latched on front cover.  Front panel contains a National style Velvet Vernier dial (made by someone else), a crystal oscillator switch, a variable oscillator switch, a corrector knob, a headphone jack, power switch, and a green pilot light.  A storage area in the bottom of the cabinet contains a really long (at least 10 feet AC power cord)

The removable front cover contains a clip for storage of a small telescoping antenna that drops into the top of the cabinet, and a calibration chart that has the 0-100 range of the vernier  dial as the x axis, and percent deviation, from .01 to at least 1.1 as the Y axis.  The cal curve is a steep V which hits zero on the Y axis at 50 on the X axis.  50 is noted to be equal to 39.1 Mc, which is apparently the crystal frequency (actually a harmonic), the fundamental is in the 4 Mc range. No other information is provided by the chart.

I turned it on today for the  first time, and it apparently is working perfectly, when I turn both oscillator switches on, I can hear a loud clean beat note that I can get to zero beat at 50 on the dial with the the corrector.

I suspect it was designed to be used in setting up a radio system, possibly FM, that operated on 39.1  Mc.  Unit was made in 1945.  Maybe for an early low band FM police radio system?  Get nothing even closely related on a google search for it.

Very nicely made, high quality components, two small chassis behind the front panel, one for oscillators/detector and audio amp (4 tubes), and another for a power supply with a 6X5 rectifier. If not anything else, might be useful to power up a BC-221.

Anyone know any more about this thing?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015