The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 12:41:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RADIO magazine (short-wave and experimental) - where to find?  (Read 4247 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: December 22, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »

Where can the olden issues of "RADIO" magazine, the Frank Jones one, be found online? I found people selling paper, but no stack of D/L's.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W4AAB

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »

I don't know of any sites that have them online, but I might be persuaded to sell my issues which run from Janaury 1936 to March 1942. I like the old RADIO magazine a lot better than QST.
                                                  Joe W4AAB
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »

I'm scanning a few issues in my possession for the free web. My reason for asking about them is that I did not want to duplicate effort. So it seems they are few and far between on the www if exist at all. Too bad I do not have a budget for purchases as they do have some value and people like the technology.

W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »

Hey OPCOM,

Keep up the good work!  I loved finally getting the MIT Rad Lab series.  Too bad we can't work out a loan program for you to scan more.

You're providing a great service.

Chris

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »

Why not scan them and post here? It should only take 5-10 minutes.   Wink   I don't know how Opcom does all that scanning!

I don't know of any sites that have them online, but I might be persuaded to sell my issues which run from Janaury 1936 to March 1942. I like the old RADIO magazine a lot better than QST.
                                                  Joe W4AAB
W4AAB

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »

Pat(Opcom) and I have made a deal where he will have the RADIO magazines next month. They are a treasure trove of GREAT articles.
                                                         Joe W4AAB
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »

FINE BUSINESS.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 03:08:14 AM »

It takes about an hour per issue because of the equipment available to me for free use.

For this job I won't be creating a professional product but merely 300DPI scans.
Others are free to take the files and improve them. That extra work using my resources would be at least 2 hours worth per issue; I do not have automation or time for that.

I have a choice -to cut the spine or not There is a slight reduction in resolution in not doing so, but a great deal of time is saved and the magazines are not 'ruined'. The ones posted so far were in very bad shape, so most of them got the slicer. I still have the stack of sheets.. so they could be rebound, or scanned by someone with a pro setup.

Please look at a "2 pages up" one, and then look at a "regular" one, and comment on the resolution quality differences, and if it matters. Please note any errors or defects in case I can consider redoing any of it.

PJ

Why not scan them and post here? It should only take 5-10 minutes.   Wink   I don't know how Opcom does all that scanning!

Joe W4AAB

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 03:17:12 AM »

Please look at a "2 pages up" one, and then look at a "regular" one, and comment on the resolution quality differences, and if it matters. Please note any errors or defects in case I can consider redoing any of it.

PJ

What does this mean?

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »

Two side-by-side, just as it would be viewed if you had the actual magazine.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »

PJ

What does this mean?

to compare the two scanning methods, pls see attachment for clarity:

* Ne.jpg (53.86 KB, 754x425 - viewed 345 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »

Personally, the two page mag format always tend to look crappy. If you're not going to remove the the staples and/or binding, the mag has to be fairly flat on the glass. That gets harder to do with many pages. If you can't lay it really flat, you'll get page curl facing the center binding when you scan. Since the pages closer to the center have a smaller horizontal dimension, you generally wind up scanning all the page edges of the sheets behind the one you're scanning. If you really force the mag flat, sometimes the force will start to rip the old paper around and near the staple areas, or if it's only a glue binding, you'll crack the glue since it's probably very brittle by now.

The best way to replicate the mag is to break it down to individual sheets. You trim at least the binding edge to get rid of rough edges due to the glue and/or staples. The outside exposed edges might also need to be trimmed since they may have browned considerably over the years. If two page format is really your thing, depending on what you use for making PDFs, some have the ability to then take the set of individual scanned sheets and turn the final document into a two page format. However, if your using a tablet, Ipad, or similar small screen device, the two page format can be very difficult to read due to the font size used in the mags. If the intent is to preserve a bit of history, some additional time and effort will make it worthwhile for readers for many years to come. One only has to look at many of the scans on bama to see how poor quality can really be.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015