The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 02:11:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some advice please - choice of transmitters  (Read 12783 times)
N3PDT

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 12:04:35 AM »

Wonder if what you traded was a set of Kenwood twins? They sound pretty decent on AM, though only 20 watts or so.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yep, I'm confident I made the right choice for a first vintage AM transmitter.

Incidentally, I made a post on a local ham radio email list that I had a Kenwood hybrid in good shape I'd like to trade for some vintage gear for AM and "boat anchor" CW operation. I was surprised at how many responses I got. What I traded was a TS-520s! Other guy was happy to get it and has reported back that he was having fun with it.

Still haven't put power to the transmitter yet. Today I scared up a Johnson VFO 122 and a NOS Advance coaxial relay. Traced the "brown wire" mentioned earlier, and it's unattached on both ends - apparently left over from a mod.

I'm at the point where I think I'm going to have one of my much more knowledgeable ham buddys come over and help and walk me through some of this before I tune up the Viking II. I'm unsure of the VFO wiring, still haven't figured all the mods in the transmitter, wondering what the toggle switch added to the VFO does, etc. We're going to spend some quality time with the schematics and a multi meter before proceeding.

Receiver works well. Having fun learning how to tweak it.

Dumb question for tonight: What kind of plug is used in the pair of ceramic sockets for driving the relay off the back of the Viking II?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 01:52:02 AM »

I throw in for the Viking as well. I had one (a "I" actually, not a "II") and loved it. IIRC much of the TVI issues were fixed in the "II". Put its VFO back together and have fun!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015