The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:18:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit SB-610 Monitor scope  (Read 3525 times)
W1ADR
Contributing

« on: January 20, 2013, 11:26:20 PM »

Would appreciate either the specifications or a recommended replacement for a pair of Selenium Rectifiers used in the high voltage power supply section of the Heathkit Model SB-610 Monitor Scope. Subject items are Heathkit p/n 57-44. A check of a cross reference listing for replacement Heathkit parts lists the generic p/n as P3340HQ with no recommended alternates. The original failure was associated with a shorted capacitor, after which all were replaced and IN5408's used to replace the original seleniums and everything functioned normally. However; in the last month's I've incurred Two failures of the IN5408 in the D6 location when running extended periods of operation. Without know ing the specifications for the original, not sure whether My selected replacement is adequate. Additionally the use of these type to replace the Seleniums is the problem of the associated circuitry or maybe there is a quality problem with My replacements. Whatever; would appreciate the original's specs and Recommendations. Thanks

Experimental Sciences does not receive Truth from Superior Sciences, She is the Mistress and the other Sciences are Her Servants.
                                     Roger Bacon, Opus Tertium
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »

http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/SB610.htm

This fellow dealt with the same problem.

His approach is the same as my thoughts, that you need to use several diodes in series to replace each selenium diode.   a 1n5408 has a PIV of 1000 volts.  He used four diodes, with a guessed safety margin.

Check and consider replacing your filter caps and equalizing resistors.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015