The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:14:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins Values Apparently Not Dropping  (Read 3841 times)
W1RC
Contributing

« on: December 04, 2012, 08:02:46 AM »

Just FYI - I listed a near-mint Collins 180S-1 on eBay with a BUY-IT-NOW price of $600.00 with the option for offers.  50 minutes later someone in CA bought it for $600.00.

I have seen them go for $300 - $500.00.  I am glad to see that there are some people out there who still want the "good stuff" and are willing to pay for it.

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:34:01 AM »

here's another one for $539.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Near-Mint-RARE-COLLIINS-180S-1-Antenna-Tuner-/221160457019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337e30c33b

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »

Why did you think prices were falling?

I don't know much about the market for wire tuners and, for that matter, the junior Collins models that were not fully capable of wholesome AM, but prices have never fallen for the Senior Collins transmitters and receivers when good examples turn up.

What I have noticed is that the volume of good examples has fallen, with fewer instances found for sale on the open market.

For years there's been a parallel, privately-held market among people who keep such radios "in the family" and off the market as a way to avoid flippers and other Radio Rug Merchants.  

The "privately held' folks, bless their hearts, pass radios among those who know one another and have confidence the radio is going to a good home, whatever that may mean to both sides.

Yet demographically, I have to wonder whether their inventory will more often turn up on the open market as they downsize and prepare to get out of the hobby.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:24:12 AM »

Interesting segue from radios to rugs & rubber gloves... Wink

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »

here's another one for $539.
Yes but if you look carefully you will see that one of the GND posts has been replaced by an SO-239 UHF connector.  This mod is irreversible and this particular tuner is not worth anywhere the asking price.  Frankly I'd be very surprised if it sells but on ePay you never know.  Caveat emptor.

I have seen postings around discussing the value of this equipment and some suggestions that it seems to be decreasing in value.  I thought I'd post this observation as a means of offsetting this speculation.  I had provisions for an interested party to make a reasonable offer and would have let it go for a bit less.

For years there's been a parallel, privately-held market among people who keep such radios "in the family" and off the market as a way to avoid flippers and other Radio Rug Merchants.  

The "privately held' folks, bless their hearts, pass radios among those who know one another and have confidence the radio is going to a good home, whatever that may mean to both sides.

Yet demographically, I have to wonder whether their inventory will more often turn up on the open market as they downsize and prepare to get out of the hobby.
Yes of course this it is well known that this "family" exists and the "good stuff" tends to circulate within.  In fact I thought I had a deal with a "member" but they dropped out on me and I need to reduce the bulk around here due to an impending move.

Downsizing does not necessarily indicate a departure from the hobby.  As we get older we all need to consider what our spouses would do with all our treasures in the event of our demise.

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »

We've discussed this numerous times on the phone and at NEAR-Fest, Mike. Values overall or on average are indeed down and will continue to drop as supply overwhelms demand going forward. The fact that a clean, late/limited production, or other odd piece brings a high price doesn't change that. As long as there are collectors looking to add to or upgrade their collection, that will be the case.

I saw a time when those tuners were bringing a kilobuck, sometimes more. Same with $2500-$3K round emblem KWM-2As and so on. It was the rule then, not the exception. Average price now seems to be in the $500-$800 range, as we've discussed. Same for the $1500 32Vs and so on. No speculation involved, just cold, hard data.

Ebay is not and has never been the average market. It's always been the high water mark, biggest audience and therefore, exposure to the deep pocket folks. It's a great place to sell if the promise of a few more dollars offsets the hours spent dealing with listing, packing, shipping, and whatever other issues arise. I've used it successfully over the years in just such circumstances. But far more of this stuff sells at hamfests and privately for much, much less (as you yourself have personally experienced and benefited from). And even on ebay, prices will continue to reflect a lessening interest over time along with more immediate factors like economic conditions. The few clean or exceptional items won't change that.

Congrats on getting $600 for your $1200 tuner. Of course, your savvy business skills realized a profit, even in the softer market. We're lucky to have gotten into this when we did, for the reasons we did. Anything after is like skimming the cream off the top. Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015