The AM Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:30:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POPULAR RTTY COMMERICAL/HAM FREQUENCIES  (Read 8529 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« on: November 26, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »

Does anyone know any frequencies on commercial radio broadcasting 24/7? ham frequencies are easy to look up but I don't know where I might find daily activity? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Terry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:38:54 PM »

Lots of hits here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=+POPULAR+RTTY+COMMERICAL+FREQUENCIES&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=POPULAR+RTTY+COMMERCIAL+FREQUENCIES&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=vvn&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&ei=y-6zUIL5O-vU0gGF_IHACg&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=9c1c7a74a90eb2f8&bpcl=38897761&biw=1633&bih=1033

I'm sure some of them have station frequencies listed.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:57:32 PM »

Thanks Pete, I have been looking at that stuff all afternoon anticipating me being a shut in for the winter. I have been playing around with Ham Radio Deluxe and I find it to be a wonderful program. Next year when I buy  Flex, I want to do some RTTY transmitting. There are probably better programs such as PSK31 but I like the old fashion RTTY. This is something left over from my 5 years in the US Army.  

I have already tried dozens of frequencies but have not found any actively transmitting. I am hoping that someone on here is in to RTTY and might point me to some activity!

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »

Listen between 8MHz and 9 MHz. Always hear a number of RTTY-type stations there. Most commercial radio-teletype stations operate on different frequency shifts then what's normally used on the ham bands. Low end of 80 and 40 always seems to have some teletype stuff going on. They also have several RTTY contests each year on the ham bands.
I once had a book of commercial listings from the 70's, but I gave it away years ago.

W3LSN

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »

Does anyone know any frequencies on commercial radio broadcasting 24/7? ham frequencies are easy to look up but I don't know where I might find daily activity? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Terry

KSM and WLO offer occassional RTTY broadcasts. I think you'll find that much of the remaining RTTY services are encrypted. There is a 24/7 RTTY feed just above 4.0 MHZ that's been there for years which I've never decoded. The French and Portuguese navies transmit channel markers on the HF bands.  The Portuguese often pop up on 75m during the winter months.

73, Jim
WA2AJM
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »

KSM and WLO offer occasional RTTY broadcasts. I think you'll find that much of the remaining RTTY services are encrypted. There is a 24/7 RTTY feed just above 4.0 MHZ that's been there for years which I've never decoded. The French and Portuguese navies transmit channel markers on the HF bands.  The Portuguese often pop up on 75m during the winter months.73, Jim WA2AJM

Well I tuned around last night and when I did finally find a RTTY station, the stuff they were sending made no sense. There are some test transmissions that I found on the net that worked ok with the program. If there is anyone out there that still gets on RTTY once in awhile, I would like to read your comments.

Thanks Terry

K3ZS

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 03:20:26 PM »

Listen on 20M from above 14.070 to the phone band.
W1UK

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »

Try this for frequencies:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/utility.html

Or pick up a copy of Monitoring Times.  They have columns devoted to utility monitoring and frequencies heard.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »

Terry,
I dabble with RTTY.  I use MMTTY for the app.   I don't have  any commercial type frequencies to suggest but I do monitor the ham frequencies when ever possible and I find activity and throw out a few CQs when I can.  If you want to, maybe we can hook-up some weekend.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »

There's an email group for RTTY called Green Keys on QTH.net. A great place to get info and help:

http://www.rtty.com/greenkeys.htm

I've got a couple old Model 28s I want to get going again someday. Still stuff out there to copy, just nowhere near what there was 10-20 years back.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »

There is a Ten-Meter RTTY Contest this weekend. Should be able to tune in tons of sigs.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »

If yer interested in the rtty corntest, go here

http://www.n2ty.org/

and click on to the " PSK/RTTY Contest" link on the left of da page.

Terry, if you ask nicely, maybee we can sked a sked.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 02:41:51 AM »

There is a Ten-Meter RTTY Contest this weekend. Should be able to tune in tons of sigs.

Here are the Ten-Meter RTTY Contest Rules: http://rttycontesting.com/tenmeterrttycontest/rules.html

Looks like you'll have lots of RTTY all weekend.

And, if you get tired of all the RTTY chirpy chirpy, you can go down to 160 meters and listen to all the CW diddle diddle in that contest.

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »

Many of the stronger RTTY stations are mil but a few are clear text. These German weather stations are fairly easy to break and operate on baudot which MMTTY should handle easily.

http://www.dwd.de/bvbw/generator/DWDWWW/Content/Schifffahrt/Sendeplan/Schedule__rtty__01,templateId=raw,property=publicationFile.pdf/Schedule_rtty_01.pdf

These are the good old days of AM
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »

Thanks guys for all your input. I am in a receive only position here near Albany, NY. My station is located about 125 miles from here so I only get on in the warmer months. so next spring, god willing, I'm going to try my hand at some  of that thar RTTY.

Thanks again........

We need an HF Club in the Albany, NY area Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015