The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:34:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6AQ5 single tube 1 watt transmitter kit reviewed in latest QST  (Read 3880 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: November 16, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »

40 Meter Toroid coil PI net output, compression trimmer caps.  Price: $100 new (equals $10 "old" I suppose. )
Looks like transformer outer sleeves with mounting holes are more expensive than just holding down with the long bolts and top clamp provided with the kit.

Also two transformers are used. -One wall wart for filament and then a step up xfor in the kit box for HV.  All because one can't obtain new a small dual winding, fil. and HV transformer anymore that doesn't cost more than the entire kit.

Otherwise a neat little kit with two crystals provided.  Author yuks up the smell of vacuum tubes operating.

I wonder how many will be sold?  Of course, many of us could duplicate it from our stash. It's very similar to the 6ak5 / or 6aq5 PW rig I built using a Heath VTVM transformer.

Also the Ameco AT-1 is 'reviewed' in  the "Vintage Radio" column.  Schematic, recent Ebay prices and roll your own info is given.  A complete teardown and rebuild is described.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:23:12 PM »

My guess is not many will be sold but what the heck, at least they are providing a kit.  A lot of new Ham's don't have a good junk box so they may go for it and maybe get hooked on the old stuff.  Most Ham's that do this kind of stuff do it for the fun and fully realize not much money to be made.  Some are retired and its just something fun to do.

I also enjoyed the article on the AC-1.  I was very fortunate a few years back when a good friend of mine gave me his AC-1.  It needs a little work but is in pretty darn good shape.  Sometimes the real simple PW rigs are fun to play with and if you like CW like I do, you don't need much power to make a lot of QSO's.  I am using the AC-1 with the Heath AR-3 receiver.  I did not see that receiver rated on Jay's W1VD receiver performance chart!  I can't imagine why  Wink

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »

Funny dat.
Well, fer sure it's on Sherwoods site, heh, heh.
IM3, -5db
bandbass 6/60 at 25.8 kc...
Very software oriented signal separation. Aural/brain interface.

Fun factor for beginners in the day?; stupendous.
Pride of ownership for the Novice?; super swell.

I mean, great stuff when coupled with the AT-1

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015