The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:55:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Major Storm Damage at W3FJJ  (Read 24157 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »

Final picture of the grouping. 

Joe, W3GMS

* W3FJJ-QTH (1).JPG (113.25 KB, 960x720 - viewed 831 times.)

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K5IIA

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »

i wonder if the power was off when this happend. Very lucky a fire did not start.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 10:07:51 PM »

Looking at those pictures of Chuck's damage, I think I'm going to put the 100 foot pine tree that sits in my front yard up for sale. Any takers?

Put a couple of sets of guy wires on it until some tree cutter gives a reasonable price.

Carl
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 05:32:10 AM »

Hi Guys, Many Thanks to Ed-KA3PTX, Walt-W3WMD, and Don Donovan, they help me immensely, yesterday, getting a bunch
of stuff out, from my shack. I haven't plugged in anything yet, but doesn't look like
this stuff got too wet or smashed. Equipment pulled out, included my Ft-1000, Ft-920, NRD-515,  SX-28, CE-20a, 810 rf deck,
Johnson matchboxes, two large mod
xfrms, PC, PC monitor, Audio rack. Wow what a great day! few days ago I though that all of that may of been lost.
Some Equipment still in question are 4-400 rig, 304TL rig ,3x3000 amp, DX-100, Collins 30s1 amp, RE20 mic. but it's too dangerous to go further.

Here's a couple shots

Ed and Walt  removing 1kw mod iron

Ed with audio Rack/NRD, and roof fixed to good as new!.

* DSCF0565.JPG (221.22 KB, 640x480 - viewed 668 times.)
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 05:34:47 AM »

Ed with Audio Rack and Roof good as new!

* DSCF0556.JPG (162.07 KB, 640x480 - viewed 630 times.)

* DSCF0573.JPG (244.57 KB, 640x480 - viewed 574 times.)
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 09:20:45 AM »

Chuck:

Seeing your progress is heart-warming. It does look like much of your gear will be useable, and am glad you got the tarp up. Let's hope that ALL of your gear is good and more importantly your house gets restored quickly.

I am proud to be part of this group seeing the help you received.

I hope your heart is feeling more optimistic these days seeing your progress.

Wish I was down there as I would have enjoyed helping.

Please keep us informed.

Dan
W1DAN
K3YA
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »

Chuck, I very sorry to hear about your misfortune. but glad your OK.  It sounds like a real close call.  I'm also glad to hear that you can salvage much of your outstanding collection. 

Please keep us pasted of your progress and hope to talk to you on the air again sometime soon.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »

I'm glad to see some of the equipment being saved. I hope the rest of it isn't all ruined.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »

Holy Hornswaggles Chuck! That was close. And another nor-easter is bearing down so batten down ye hatches.

We have had tragedies in the AM community this year, that is for sure - and some accidents too in the past. Do you remember Dave Smith N2KSZ who was from my hometown part of the world up near Canton NY? He died tragically in a farm accident in 1997 at the age of 37. He was buried in a suit but under that suit was an Electric Radio Tee Shirt.

Best of luck on rebuilding,

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »

Chuck, I heard about your dilema from Ray, WD2AFJ. Damn glad you got out with your cardiovascular system still intact! I along with others here will be glad to assist in any way we can! I hope to 'Mod-U-Lator'!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 12:16:40 PM »

Chuck,

Sent an e-mail to you .. Whatever you need man after you start to rebuild..parts, tubes, iron, just name it! Glad you're ok, and things will end up ok fine..

Jeff

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
WA3VJB
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 04:29:35 PM »

Chuck I am very glad to hear you've been able to salvage some hardware.
But the best thing to have made it is software -- YOU.

Right now, Sunday afternoon, I'm listening to quite a few people hearing about your disaster on the AWA PM-AM Net on 3837Kc, and reacting with concern and best-hopes as you rebuild and put your life back together.

A lot of people care about you, dood, and they're pulling for you.

Joe/GMS has described how the tree company discovered a huge rock beneath the tree that fell on your house, and how that might have blocked the roots from really taking hold all these years to withstand the kind of winds that moved through.  That's interesting, because from looking at the sawed-ends of the tree sections I didn't see much if any rot, like hollow center, etc.

Ya just never know.

Take care
NE1S

"The Smallest Minority is the Individual"

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »

Yeah, Paul, I was one of the ones on 3837 just learning of Chuck's misfortune. Joe GMS had told the net about it, and said the photos were here, so came up to see.

Chuck, I will add to the chorus of sympathy and well-wishes. Guess a CW QSO in the 1929 BK in a few weeks, as we've had in the past, isn't likely at this point. We'll all be looking forward to hearing you on the air as soon as possible. So glad you are OK.

-Larry
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 03:08:24 PM »

Thanks everybody again, Things are moving along, I spent last two days packing stuff up,
loading up my shed with crap that nobody would want but me.amazing how much of that there is..
Hope to get contractors here and open up wall to try and get some more stuff out but with the nor
east'r coming may not be for awhile..   Paul, I thought   I took picture  of the boulder under neath the center of stump, but I cant find it, might be on my cell phone..
they pushed the stump back over so can't see it now..  Larry, I will miss operating  in the Bruce Kelly AWA event this year, I hope to
at least be listening to some wobbling carriers! I hope you are doing better with your accident, I think that is worse than my situation.
thanks again folks..  BTW, tinker bell, my cat, is back to her old self, seems she is starting to get used to all the commotion...
73, Chuck

Pics   Stump, footlocker from attic, tinkerbell

* DSCF0667.JPG (279.94 KB, 640x480 - viewed 500 times.)

* DSCF0557.JPG (269.42 KB, 640x480 - viewed 590 times.)

* DSCF0669.JPG (227.04 KB, 640x480 - viewed 539 times.)
NE1S

"The Smallest Minority is the Individual"

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »

Larry, I will miss operating  in the Bruce Kelly AWA event this year, I hope to
at least be listening to some wobbling carriers! I hope you are doing better with your accident, I think that is worse than my situation.
thanks again folks..  BTW, tinker bell, my cat, is back to her old self, seems she is starting to get used to all the commotion...
73, Chuck

I honestly don't know which is worse, Chuck, my situation or yours. Neither one is fun. On the bright side, we'll both recover. A big milestone for me will be my 12-week follow-up appointment with the surgeon, three weeks from today. That's when they'll let me start putting some weight on my right leg. How much is TBD, but once I can start using it, even a little, progress will be faster.

Glad to hear the cat is back and doing well; I was going to ask. Have two cats here, both are great company. One constantly hangs out with me and "helps" with whatever I'm doing.
w1vtp

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »

Chuck

Tinkerbell is a very pretty kitty.  Glad she survived and is thriving.  I'm sure you will be a comfort to each other.  I know my Rosie is

Al

* ROSIE & 32V1.jpg (239.9 KB, 2000x1325 - viewed 524 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »

Yay! Tinkerbell is OK! it would have been heart breaking to loose a pet and friend on to of the rest of this tragedy.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 08:14:16 AM »

Chuck,
If you want, come on up to GMS Radio, I will set up my original 1929 TNT transmitter for you to use during the 1929 BK AWA event!  We can do a multi op station.  I bet that has never been done before on that particular event.  
Joe, GMS    

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 07:49:22 PM »

Chuck,

Hope to hear your strong signal down Virginia way again soon.

Good luck!

Brad K4RT
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 06:35:06 AM »

Al, rosie looks like a cousin to tinker bell, I was so happy she survived, she may of been
in radio room when it happen, i didn't see her for a day and then took two more days beforeshe came out
to eat and drink. . BTW,  I got that same EV EQ, I like that, I think it survived.

Joe, that would be cool multi op 1929 rigs!

Just heard from N2JTD, i was wondering about him, being near jersey shore, him and maggie are ok
but sounds like some of his neigbors weren't as lucky..

I do feel very blessed , and feel for those up NYC that are still with out power, lets hope this nor'easter
don't do more damage..   73, Chuck

WA3VJB
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 09:53:40 AM »

Harley has some advice, Chuck, after reading and seeing the photos:

"Take it from me, Tinkerbell, it was only a Halloween stunt these humans like to play on us.  Ask me about it. I've been through 20 Halloweens and it's always something."

* IMG_2902'.jpg (170.64 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 480 times.)
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 08:49:37 AM »

[...]

I do feel very blessed , and feel for those up NYC that are still with out power, lets hope this nor'easter
don't do more damage..   73, Chuck

Yes, New Jersey and lower New York were hit hard. My friends N2IRJ and N2SAG had no mains power and were without any telephone service for almost two weeks. The situation there is still a little 'iffy' as weakened trees continue to fall.

Chuck, ever since the days when I heard you with the "B" in your call on my old Racal, you have put out a quality signal. And I am sure that the renovated station will continue -- and probably extend -- that tradition. Nature has intervened, but your mind will create a new FJJ station. That quality has always come from your mind and your creativity anyway, and not from any particular piece of gear. Even if all you had was a pile of parts, or any scratchy-sounding stock rig you care to name, you'd get to work and create an "FJJ quality" signal all over again.

I lost everything a few years ago, and am planning a comeback myself. Sometimes a terrible disaster, unwelcome as it is, can clear the decks for something new and even better. Best of luck and have fun building the new FJJ.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 05:41:48 AM »

Hi Kevin,  Sorry about your total lost, yikes...Sounds like you on the up swing, now that's good. GL...
You were an inspiration, to me,  back in the 80's, with your big signal, great audio, and no doubt, one of the smarter, technical guys, on the air.
I hope to hear you on soon

Just a quick update. I've moved into apartment in Newark, close to University of Delaware, while my house is getting demolished , and they rebuild.
This will probably be at least 6-8 month process. I still haven't  got my stuff out of the ham shack or basement, so don't know what the real damages
are,  but  since I got alot of stuff out already, unscathed, it's been far better than I first thought..

I plan on getting on AM, from the University  Club Station,  in the  next couple of weeks,  I miss talking to you guys.
73, and happy t-day coming up, Chuck
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 07:25:44 AM »

Hey that's cool. Get the UD station on AM!

Good luck on the rebuild and hope to hear you on the air soon.
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2012, 09:05:50 AM »

[...]
You were an inspiration, to me,  back in the 80's, with your big signal, great audio, and no doubt, one of the smarter, technical guys, on the air.
I hope to hear you on soon

Just a quick update. I've moved into apartment in Newark, close to University of Delaware, while my house is getting demolished , and they rebuild.
This will probably be at least 6-8 month process. I still haven't  got my stuff out of the ham shack or basement, so don't know what the real damages
are,  but  since I got alot of stuff out already, unscathed, it's been far better than I first thought..

I plan on getting on AM, from the University  Club Station,  in the  next couple of weeks,  I miss talking to you guys.
73, and happy t-day coming up, Chuck

Thanks for remembering the good old days of AIO labs -- I sure remember all those great QSOs. Remember when 3785 was one of the main AM frequencies? I think WA4GGL pioneered that one... it was where he used to call "CQ Margot Kidder" and "CQ Pat Benatar" if no one was around.

Have fun at the University station and enjoy your new home!

Kevin, WB4AIO.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015