The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:02:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is This our George/W2WLR?  (Read 4746 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: October 27, 2012, 11:08:21 AM »

Came across this in a 1937 Radio World magazine on page 12:

http://www.we0h.us/Amateur_Radio_stuff/Radio_World_Nov_1937.pdf

Age seems right, and I recall he was tasked with putting together or otherwise working on the list of needs for the D-Day landings in Normandy. He was always very analytical in every discussion we had on 75m back in the day.

I seem to recall NY call areas in the 8th district back then, too.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 12:07:31 PM »

Pretty good find, Todd.

I would say that's him, cuz his license shows George "A." Bondadio, matching the article exactly.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=790002

The writing style seems like his too - often confrontational but instructive.  

I enjoy reading those old articles and seeing the advertisments. The ads about becoming a radio service man remind me of the Gotham vertical ads.   Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »

See how it turned out.

http://www.military.com/Content/MoreContent1/?file=dday_0054p1

He's still around and the Watertown repeater still uses his call as of 2 years ago.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:12:27 PM »

George was quite the lecturer on the air for sure. "Watertown's Little Radio" as he use to say.  I remember for years him running high speed VOX on AM.  I found it  very annoying to listen to.  I believe he did it to try to increase the efficiency of his stations since the carrier went off in between words.  

His call is still listed on QRZ.com so hopefully George is still around.  

The 8th district back then did indeed have parts of NY included.  

Joe, W3GMS  

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »

Yep, western NY and western PA were in the 8th call district pre-WWII. Virginia was in the 3rd district and there was no zero district. New Mexico was in the 5th district and Arizona was in the 6th district.  Complete listing below (from the 1913 Department of Commerce regulation).

AMATEUR  STATIONS.

4. The call letters for amateur stations in the United States will be awarded by radio inspectors, each for his own district, respectively according to the following system:

(a) The call will consist of three items; number of radio district; followed by two letters of the alphabet. Thus, the call of all amateur stations in New England (which comprises the first district) will be the figure "one" in Continental Morse, followed by two letters; in California (in the sixth district) the figure "six" followed by two letters; in South Carolina the figure "four" followed by two letters; in Missouri the figure "nine" followed by two letters, etc. The letters X, Y, Z, must not be used as the first of the two letters.

The territory of each district is as follows:

1. BOSTON, MASS...Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut.

2. NEW YORK, N. Y...New York (county of New York, Staten Island, Long Island, and counties on the Hudson River to and including Albany, Rensselaer, and Schenectady) and New Jersey (counties of Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Union, Middlesex, Monmouth, Hudson, and Ocean)

3. BALTIMORE, MD...New Jersey (all counties not included in second district), Pennsylvania (counties of Philadelphia, Delaware, all counties south of the Blue Mountains, and Franklin County), Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, District of Columbia.

4. SAVANNAH, GA...North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Porto Rico.

5. NEW ORLEANS, LA...Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico.

6. SAN FRANCISCO, CAL...California, Hawaii, Nevada, Utah, Arizona.

7. SEATTLE, WASH...Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming.

8. CLEVELAND, OHIO...New York (all counties not included in second district), Pennsylvania (all counties not included in third district), West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan (Lower Peninsula)

9. CHICAGO, ILL...Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan (Upper Peninsula), Minnesota, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota.

(b) The three items; a given figure first, followed by two letters of the alphabet, thus may be combined in 598 different calls, which will probably suffice for the amateur sending stations in most districts for some time to come.

(c) Radio inspectors will insert amateur station calls in station licenses according to this system, and will keep a permanent chart, of 598 squares, lettered with the alphabet from left to right and from top to bottom (A to W), inserting in the appropriate square the serial license number of the station to which the call letters were awarded. Within these limitations radio inspectors will use their discretion in the award of calls, avoiding, of course, duplications.

(d) When a station is abandoned and the license canceled, or if a license shall be forfeited for violation of law, the call assigned to it may be allotted to another station.

(e) If the entire 598 calls have been exhausted, radio inspectors will issue additional calls, consisting of the figure of the district followed by three letters. From such combinations should be excluded the combination SOS, and PRB, all three-letter combinations beginning with QR or QS, all combinations involving the repetition of the same letter three times, three-letter combinations beginning with K, N, W, X, Y, Z, and other combinations, which, for various reasons, international, national, local, or individual, may be objectionable. With such exclusions, over 10,000 calls will remain for each district.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »

Thought so. It was a long time ago, my memory isn't that good.  Wink

Glad to hear George is still with us, he was pretty healthy last time we discussed him some years ago on here and with his special drops each day, could outlive all of us.

Was reading a article in that magazine about the Hammarlund SP-150 when I came across the write up on him. George is one of my earliest AM memories, and an early influence/encouragement for me back in the day when 100 watts from the 32V-2 was the best I could do. He was always polite & friendly, sometimes lengthy in discussion or description, with the occasional out-of-the-ordinary topic. Always loud & clear into VT from Watertown, too.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:50:43 PM »

I remember George used to get crucified for his rather strong views on audio pre-emphasis.
Years ago I used hear him on - on static crashed filled Summer nights. Worked him a time or two. 
I guess he was testing his theories out.
Yeah, he made thru the static in fine fashion.  Glad he's still around. 
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »

I remember George used to get crucified for his rather strong views on audio pre-emphasis.
Years ago I used hear him on - on static crashed filled Summer nights. Worked him a time or two. 
I guess he was testing his theories out.
Yeah, he made thru the static in fine fashion.  Glad he's still around. 

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/pdf/eam.pdf

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 08:10:11 AM »

Georges shifting of the audio frequency response is interesting as shown in that AM Window post.

George cured himself from malaria:

http://www.military.com/Content/MoreContent1/?file=dday_0054p3

"Eventually the ship's doctor said, "You have been sleeping here except when we wake you up for your meals and one more time to go to the bathroom, the next time in another month or so, when it gets you one of these mornings, you just won't wake up." Unless you can find a cure. I did some inquiring for 10 minutes and between the two of us, we worked up a plausible cure. I tried it. My malaria was coming about every 4 weeks, then. It worked and I never had malaria again. It cost 13 cents. It was a procedure type of cure. Quite simple.

There are over 2 million people a year who die of malaria. But no one will listen to me because I don't have any doctors' degrees. Nor are there other malaria cases around this part of New York state. I very recently learned that my malaria cure is a patentable "method" invention."

This was not the first time George has cured a disease. He has also patented an Indium mix:

http://www.indiumease.com/

"suggest INDIUM normalizes the master glands Pituitary-hypothalamus and Pineal- directing 40 Endocrine gland systems, balancing 31 Hormones naturally, including Human Growth Hormone, DHEA, Melatonin, many steroids, & thyroid hormones."

George is a interesting man..

Jim
WD5JKO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015