The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:17:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP friends Hector and Brutus  (Read 2777 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: October 20, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »

I'm sad to report that my favorite feral cats have passed away. Hector after a long bout with leukemia, and Brutus who is presumed dead being missing now for 20 days.

In return for plenty of food and fresh water, these gentlemen have kept the area around my buildings free of mice, rats, squirrels, and other destructive pests that infest the general area for over a decade. I miss them greatly. It took a long time to earn their friendship enough for these pictures to be taken. Look at the 1000 yard stare on hector and the monstrous set of jaws and front legs/claws on Brutus. They were big old cats, and really good and respected helpers.

Living in an old house in an old and overgrown "natural" part of the city and not having rat/mouse problems in the electronics and radio gear is something you can't put a price on. The nasty mice will ruin everything they get into.

There is only one feral tomcat and his female friend left. Hopefully I can entice them with good food to stick around and take the job before the mice start multiplying.

* Hector and brutus.jpg (183.58 KB, 1498x669 - viewed 382 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:09:51 PM »

Sorry about their passing, Pat.

They were good-lookin' mousers!

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:51:12 PM »

They had a better life thanks to you. Sorry for your loss.
AF9J
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:54:05 AM »

Awww!  That's too bad!  Hector looks a lot like my Cleo did.  Good luck.  And if you can un-feralize them (it can be done, we've done it at the cat shelter I volunteer at), so much the better, since they'll live longer (the chances of getting feline lukemia [which is caused by a virus], and getting killed by roving dogs, or hit by cars [which is what happened to my brother's cat Max, whom he used to let bum around], are greatly reduced).  Good luck.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 06:14:58 AM »

Pat,
If it's any consolation, my cat vanished for 7 months. I figured she was hit by a car or coyote prey. She returned a bit skinny and disheveled but unharmed. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »

I am sorry about Hector, but don't give up on Brutus.
The cat in my lap right now went on "walk about" for about 2 months. Nearly broke my heart.
He returned skinny, muddy and bloody. Don't know where he went or what he did while he was there. Now he lives in my shop building and we haven't seen a live mouse in there since.
I hope Brutus returns.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
n1bnc

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 01:44:01 PM »

Sorry about the cats. They are amazing in their own ways and keeping the mice from invading radios, MV's etc is a small price....

Nice sticker on the fridge, "Steelsoldiers".
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »

Sorry to hear of your loss Pat.  Just like humans, so stick around a short time and some hang in for a longer period.  Like the song says, the good die young. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015