The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:36:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My latest acquisition  (Read 5699 times)
w1vtp

« on: October 13, 2012, 05:32:19 PM »

This year's fall session was really great.  I had eyed this ART13 last year and asked about it and discovered that it had already been sold.  "Oh, oh well" was my response.  Later I had shared my missed opportunity the the guy who had gotten it 'fessed up that it was him.  Well, it turned out to be surplus to his needs so here it is.

It looks to be in unused condition. The only distress is storage related. Some surface rust on transformers had been painted over which doesn't in any way take away from the experience for me.  So, yet another project.  I think I'm a project magnet.

I am looking for as much documentation as possible and would really like to get my hands on documentation.

Al

* ART13 FRONT.jpg (584.36 KB, 4350x2888 - viewed 525 times.)

* ART13 TOP INSIDE.jpg (1075.33 KB, 4928x3264 - viewed 435 times.)

* ART13 LEFT SIDE.jpg (611.85 KB, 4928x3264 - viewed 468 times.)
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:27:02 PM »

Nice one Al.  Wow. Good find!

C
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:01:34 PM »

Hamfests can be fun and productive. After 30 years of looking, I finally found an excellent condition HRO-500 matching speaker for my receiver at a local hamfest last week at a cheap price. The over all speaker sound quality sucks but it's another item I can cross off the list.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »

I saw the gentleman unloading it from his trunk! Needing it like I hole in the head, I walked away to talk myself in or out of it. By the time I returned with Nick KG2IR IT WAS GONE! That's part of what makes hamfests so much fun. You snooze, you lose. Glad you got Al, have fun with it!

I think therefore AM
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »

Sorry I missed seeing you Al, think we chatted briefly Friday morning as I was on my way up, I was on the GRC-9 in the truck and probably pretty PW.  Good luck with the ART-13, looks like a nice one.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
n2len

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »

Very nice story Al...
It's great to hear that you actually ended up getting it!
All the best at getting it up and running.. Cheesy
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »

Just to make sure that the stories get it right, according to the QSO earlier this AM, it was Tim's friend Alan H. Wiener who snatched up the ART-13 that appeared out of the trunk. Al's unit came to the hamfest via a prior deal... FYI.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »

Good score Al, I had one on the air and I have another one in the garage that I'll probably never get on the air.

Lots of stuff on the web with a Google search under ART-13. 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »

Nice haul, Al. They are cool transmitters, almost a right of passage to have one. And you did it right - you bought it at the 'fest. Interesting that it was also a previous visitor to the event. You might remember the really clean Navy ATC version that was there at the first couple NEAR-Fests and a couple Hopkinton events too. Looked like new, and I oogled it numerous times. The last time it was at NEAR-Fest Johnny/JN and I were looking it over for the umpteenth time. I really wanted it but already had three to deal with and intentionally didn't bring much money with me. Johnny said "I'll front you the money, buy the damned thing!" or something along those lines but I hesitated.

In this case, it didn't sell but went back to Maine with the owner whose name & number I got. After returning home and realizing I should have gotten it, the remaining two ART-13s hit the road(oddly enough, to a guy from southern Maine) and a few weekends later I took a 6+ hour drive to north central Maine to pick up the ATC. Was a major pain to travel that far(easily 16 hours total), but getting to see Gary/WZ1M's transformer shop in Orono and Larry/NE1S's set up in Gray along with hauling home a cool transmitter made it worthwhile.

So, congrats on pulling the trigger before it got away for good.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »

First thing on my "hit list" is that 10 pin plug that goes into the power connection.  If anyone has info on it or perhaps the actual connector, I'd be very interested

Thanks all for your encouragement.

Al
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 10:19:11 AM »

Al,
Fair Radio has some connectors listed for the ART-13.  Pretty pricey for sure but at least they are available. 

https://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=view&categoryid=169

Other sources probably are around for them as well.
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »

I purchased the U-7/U from Rob Downs a few years back. Its 'sold out', but you may want to keep the link and check in the future.

http://www.vendio.com/stores/wa5cab/category/page=5/__http_host=www.vendio.com/catId=4147646

klc

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »

Found my U-7 in a box under a table at Hopkinton during one of the last Hosstraders 'fests. The guy charged me $2 for it. Found the U-6 & 8 on another radio site, in a box of connectors a guy was selling, $3 each I think. And snagged the U-9 last February at Frostfest for $1. Missed a U-10 that a friend had on ebay, it went for $18. That's the last one I need, waiting to find an original with the 90 degree elbow backshell.

Throw an ad on here, Al. There are plenty of folks who have these things kicking around who don't want an arm & leg for them. Most prefer seeing them go to someone they know who will use them. I'd give you one if I had a spare, just to get another one of these rigs back on the air.

You can fabricate something in the meantime, check around the 'net for ideas. Something that allows you to attach the wires to the pins without globbing a lot of solder onto them so that you can use the connector once it comes your way.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »

You can fabricate something in the meantime, check around the 'net for ideas. Something that allows you to attach the wires to the pins without globbing a lot of solder onto them so that you can use the connector once it comes your way.

When I first put my ART-13 on the air, I made harnesses up that had small tubular in-line splice sleeves soldered to the transmitter end of the individual leads.  Cant recall the specific sleeve size, but there is one that is a good snug fit onto the pins of the the ART-13 connectors.  Have been working well for nearly 20 years now.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015