The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:32:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Nation 63  (Read 9994 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« on: September 08, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »

I'm not a regular viewer of this on-line video show but I've caught a few in the past. The most recent show features Bob Heil's phased dipoles on 75 meters. During a demo of the front-to-back of the phased dipoles some AM QSOs are featured.

http://twit.tv/show/ham-nation/63
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:37:41 AM »

Awesome Steve.  I wish I had the space. I would love to have a setup like that.  From full copy to nothing.

When transmitting, you have to make a hard choice which way you want to face correct? Might be an issue in a round table.

C
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »

Depending on one's location and the geographic arrangement of the roundtable, the phased dipoles might not be the best option. But say you live in the Pacific Northwest and the majority of the stations you work are south and east of you, this setup would be great. Also, it wasn't shown, but a different feed arrangement could be switched in to make the setup bidirectional.

I need to cut a few trees down here to have the room for such a system.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »

Nooooo...  Don't cut those beautiful trees, windbreakers, leaf dumpers..  They add value to your property and peace.  Grin

Looking at you from G.Earth.

Nice place.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »

There are more than 100 trees on the property. I can afford to lose a few - fire wood donchya know.   Cheesy
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »

Phased dipoles. Had em. Loved em. Best 75 meter antenna I've ever had.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 03:33:56 PM »

Steve what is your opinion of the phased Receiving verticals?  Like the DX ENG setup with the whips?   I would love to face my RX either east or west.  This is something I have room for.

C
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »

Assuming local noise/EMI doesn't mess things up, they are a good idea. You can always try an EWE or K9AY first since these are less expensive than the DX Engineering systems. The EWE and K9AY are essentially phased verticals. They will have more high angle pick up than the phased vertical, but this may not be a problem if you aren't using them for hard core DX purposes.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »

I googled the EWE and that seems doable here. I have pines that are East and west.  They are 40 ft apart.  I can do 10 to 15 ft up. I might build this for fun. the weather is cooling off now.  Any good links on EWE?

C
K5IIA

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 02:27:07 AM »

I live in south east Louisiana. And my pair of phased dipoles broadside north/south are great for my location. I love them and recommend anyone able to try it out.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »

EWE is only one direction so thats not going to work here.  Neat antenna though.  k9AY loop seems like alot of wires out back. Plus a center support.  I migth try the small whips.  I have a 10 meter vertical outback at 15 ft and that makes a nice RX antenna on 75.  So maybe I wont have to much noise with two phased whips.

C
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »

Steve, Whats your thoughts on this man? 

http://www.widebandloop.com/Videos.html

Sounds perfect for me.  I have a 10 ft mini tower in the center of the backyard ready to go.  I have at least 20 ft on all sides so it will be in the open.

C
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »

Never mind about the system above.  The guy emailed me back saying that Array solutions bought him out.  Its now not for sale.  I could build the system but he cant/wont give details.  The american way.  Design something, sell the rights off.

The search continues.
C
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 12:01:54 AM »

Never mind about the system above.  The guy emailed me back saying that Array solutions bought him out.  Its now not for sale.  I could build the system but he cant/wont give details.  The american way.  Design something, sell the rights off.

The search continues.
C
The latest QST has an article about this antenna by Baumann, KB7GF, October 2012 p44. More details are said to be available in QEX: www.arrl.org/this-month-in-qex

I have not tested the link.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 12:21:27 AM »

THere is a PDF with details on the antenna.  Thanks for the link.

C
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 02:16:40 PM »

I have to admit I don't know how it works, how a single delay line of a fixed length can serve for a wide, really wide actually, range of frequencies to make a broadband directional antenna. It sure works in his videos.

I presume the designs of that very cool control unit and mast mounted combiner are exactly what he can no longer disclose.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

In this month's QEX, the sample article is a companion article on the Apex Loop Array by the same guy. Most info to digest.  http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/Sep-Oct_2012/Bauman_QEX_9_12.pdf

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KF5FWU

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »

I love mine also, im in South Ms. and mine are also broadside north and south.
Works great.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »

I read the articles last night. Seems it's worth a try. Let us know how it works.

Steve, Whats your thoughts on this man? 

http://www.widebandloop.com/Videos.html

Sounds perfect for me.  I have a 10 ft mini tower in the center of the backyard ready to go.  I have at least 20 ft on all sides so it will be in the open.

C
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »

ITs still very hot here.  102 yesterday.  At least we have cool mornings and nights.  To hot for any antenna work in the daytime.

I found a book called "practical antenna handbook" fourth edition by Joseph J carr.  In this book he talks about an asymetrical RX loop antenna.

The loop is a standard Sheilded loop that you can make or buy or a Loopstick.  You then use a second loop behind the first loop. 

Steve, We talked about this in the past but I think I decided that you would need a 1/4 wave length back for the second loop so I discounted it.

The author suggests 2 to 3 ft back for the second loop but also suggests experimentation for the largest NULL.

To RX to the west ONLY:

The rear loop is broadside to east and west to block the east.
The front loop is broadside north and south to block the north and south.
The front loop recieves only the west now.

The loops can be clamped to a single fiberglass military pole of 5 ft.  A cheap TV rotor can be used to turn the contraption to have a single direction RX in a foot print of just 5 ft.

What is NOT discussed in the article is the hook up of the rear loop. In fact, I think it does not hook up at all. It shows it in free space.

I wonder if it should be grounded???  Hooked to shield?  There was a section about magnetics and that you can manipulate patterns using shields.  I guess the rear loop is doing just that?

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015