The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:38:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going Green at KAQ Radio  (Read 10732 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: September 11, 2012, 12:34:39 AM »

No, *real* green.

Just enjoyed the maiden voyage of the Heathkit Injun station on 80 meters with WA2PJP and WA2CWA. Conditions were not as quiet as last night, but still pretty decent compared to the last 4-5 months down this way.

Picked this station up from Joe/PJP back in February, he delivered them to me before we attended FrostFest in Richmond. I have to say - after basically ignoring Heathkit gear for decades in favor of other equipment, it's pretty cool to finally have a station of green gear on the air. With the tu-tone paint scheme, Heathkit script, and shiny chrome knobs, it's hard to think of a better looking set up. They ooze that 50s-60s Retro look and feel. And from reports, the TX-1 sounds just like a stock Apache.

Next stop: 40 meters.

* Green8.JPG (277.31 KB, 960x720 - viewed 516 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 12:44:09 AM »

From a KW-1 and 30K-1 to a snatchy Apache. Boy, Todd, that sure sounds like a big step backwards to me! ! ! !  (Do you have your "kick me" shirt on? ? ? ? )

Shocked  Roll Eyes  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 03:29:17 AM »

Wait a minute. I don't see a SB-10. That station is not complete unless you have one of those. And, Apache/Mohawk combos need a HO-10 and HO-13 for all that wobbly visual stuff.

I need to get my combo back up and running.

Great contacts tonight.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:57:51 AM »

What's up with the tuning knobs?
Was that available from the factory?
Green is just another radio phase.
Looks great.
ve6pg

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 06:40:42 AM »

..very nice todd...they are cool looking...i got an sb-10 when i picked up an apache...still out in the hangar..never tried it...
..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:17:33 AM »

Nice photo!

I think therefore AM
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:24:50 AM »

That looks like my "Indian" setup, complete with chrome knobs.  But mine don't have spinners!

And you don't have a Marauder...

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »

Beautiful looking stuff Todd! Looks like a bit of dust on the top of the Apache's key jack, but other than that, it's perfect!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 07:22:46 PM »

TNX Rob. All I can say is Joe doesn't deal in scruffy equipment! He had originally picked these up as restoration candidates for his station then came across a like-new set that had been built and never used, so these got the heave-ho.

I actually do have the companion Marauder, Dick. Just no room for it at present. Also have a HoHo-10, see photo below from the Quality Assurance & Testing Dept. Sorta looking for the SB-10 with the matching chrome knobs, just not actively. Need to track down the proper EV desk mic for the Marauder, too.

What's up with the tuning knobs?
Was that available from the factory?

From what Joe told me and others have said, the last or latest models to leave the factory had the spinner knobs. Nice for long excursions across the dial, but they tune pretty easily either way.

From a KW-1 and 30K-1 to a snatchy Apache. Boy, Todd, that sure sounds like a big step backwards to me! ! ! !  (Do you have your "kick me" shirt on? ? ? ? )

More like a big leap! You can actually see the 30K-5 just to the left. It currently has its stock audio too, and sounds a bit pinched. Both that and the Apache will receive some mild improvements to the audio sections as time permits, but nothing too serious. Something about the journey vs. the destination. Neither will ever sound as good as a BC transmitter or Flex, and why should they? I sure as hell don't and no amount of audio processing will change that fact.

OTOH, that Mohawk will make your ears bleed if you try listening to light/moderate signals for too long. Strong signals aren't too bad. Pete and Joe both sounded pretty decent last night. The fact that it only receives one sideband at 5 khz might have a bit to do with it, but there are numerous other issues as well that cause overloading and distortion. The bulk of work will go into it. It's just too purty not to use.

Need to get use to something else with the Apache: sloooow upward drift. I've been spoiled over the years.

* JN_HoHo2.JPG (428.49 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 463 times.)

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 08:39:19 PM »

That pair sure does look nice.

(And not to go too far off topic, but is that a John Deere 110 peeking out of the garage? It looks pretty good too, actually noticed it before i did the HO-10)

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »

Interesting on the spinners. Thanks for the info.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 01:03:35 AM »

My pleasure, Dave. No idea if it's 100% accurate, but it makes sense and I've heard the same rumor multiple times. Now that it's on the internet, it must be true.

(And not to go too far off topic, but is that a John Deere 110 peeking out of the garage? It looks pretty good too, actually noticed it before i did the HO-10)

Actually it's the last of the line, a '67 112 with the Tecumseh 10 hp engine and Hydraulic lift. Otherwise identical to the 110. It's soon to be on the market as it was recently replaced with a '51 Farmall Super A. The 112 just couldn't handle 3 acres of lawn that is mostly field grass. The chaff and crud was forever plugging up the cooling fins and overheating the engine which then blew the head gasket. It's back in top running shape now, even has a new battery(I'm sure Slab is heaving a big sigh of relief reading this, I queried him a lot about it). Apparently they have quite a following as I've already had an offer to show it at an upcoming show. They even offered to haul it for me.

Another 'boatanchor' project I'll never get to. And it's green, too! Here's a couple shots of it torn apart showing the clogged fins. When you spend more time working on it than actually using it, it's time to move on.

* HH100 fins6.JPG (394.9 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 411 times.)

* TornDown.JPG (416.73 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 408 times.)

WQ9E

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »

Todd,

You scared me for a moment.  I was expecting to see a pinwheel driving a bicycle headlight generator powering a Heathkit HW-7 Smiley

My Green is definitely not that sort of environmentally green either.

* Heathkit.JPG (1110.69 KB, 1572x1200 - viewed 426 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »

Todd,

You scared me for a moment.  I was expecting to see a pinwheel driving a bicycle headlight generator powering a Heathkit HW-7 Smiley

My Green is definitely not that sort of environmentally green either.

Never bought into the politically-correct use of the word. Common Sense wins the day for me. Green is a color.

That's quite a wall of Heathkit gear - could serve as a blast wall in the event of a nuclear event.  Grin

w1vtp

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »

You guys have me GREEN with envy!   Wink

Rob (AEX)  Do you have a green skin for the Flex so I can get over this condition?

Al
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »

Yes, chrome.. American Iron at its best..

* chome baby.jpg (142.63 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 396 times.)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 12:23:22 AM »

Looks nice.  Sometimes its alot of fun to just get on an old low power set with a regular microphone and just "operate" rather then run a big transmitter.

C
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »

Looks nice.  Sometimes its alot of fun to just get on an old low power set with a regular microphone and just "operate" rather then run a big transmitter.
C

HUH? ? ?  Huh  Huh

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »

You guys have me GREEN with envy!   Wink

Rob (AEX)  Do you have a green skin for the Flex so I can get over this condition?

Al

Well Al, it may still need some work, but for your amusement, here is a Flex Apache. It's not as nice as Todd's, but it's also not as heavy! If you want to download a copy it's the second one listed in the download section at the link below.

http://www.w1aex.com/psdr/psdr.html

Rob W1AEX

* heathkit apache flex.jpg (123.76 KB, 1053x658 - viewed 391 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »

And very easy on the eyes, like Jeff's photo with the Merc. I don't have a Flex, but I like the look. Nice job, Rob.

Slab, I think Clark is trying to say that sometimes it's fun to get back to basics, just running an old piece of gear without all the outboard processing, big amps, etc. Like running an old piece of military gear or homebrew 6L6 rig. Certainly not a replacement for a good signal, just a diversion now and again. It's my excuse/reason for having multiple rigs.  Grin

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 09:21:33 AM »

Slab, I think Clark is trying to say that sometimes it's fun to get back to basics, just running an old piece of gear without all the outboard processing, big amps, etc. Like running an old piece of military gear or homebrew 6L6 rig. Certainly not a replacement for a good signal, just a diversion now and again. It's my excuse/reason for having multiple rigs.  Grin

I used to feel that way too, but................. as bad as condx have been in recent years, it's more fun to have the horsepower on tap when you need / want it...........
I have come to the conclusion that most won't run a piss weaker when they got a big rig unless the big rig is broke down. And, errrr, furthermore.................your favorite transmitter is always the one that YOU built! ! ! !

Especially when you can do a "Bang, lookie here, squashed like a bug."  Wink  Grin

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »

A compromise may be to use that original starter rig into a big linear amp.  You still have the sound of the rig but the S meter will go up higher to combat the noise.  Nothing says you have to operate that all the time but for old time sake it may be fun to some.  Kind of like taking a Model A or a Model T Ford out for a spin and watch while everyone passes you and waves Smiley

I must admit and I thought I would never feel this way, but when I run into someone who is using a stock whatever and it may be less great audio its nice to hear what it was.  Since so many signals sound great these days the contrast is noticed in sometimes a good nostalgic way.  If nothing else, it gives a reference point on how far we have come with good audio.  

When I tune across the bands today, I hear far better audio than I did in the mid 60's when I got on the air.  Sure there were the well know big guns with great audio but they were in the minority.  The worse sounding rigs back then were the early SSB rigs running AM!  

Something for everyone I suppose.  

Joe, W3GMS        

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »

I used to feel that way too, but................. as bad as condx have been in recent years, it's more fun to have the horsepower on tap when you need / want it...........

Hey, no one is suggesting 'exclusive' use - just mixing it up a bit. Nothing beats having a big signal on the bands to walk over the noise, natural as well as man-made. I was schooled in this very point by masters of the art like K1JJ, over 2 decades ago when a 32V was my weapon of choice for 75m night time activity.

Especially when you can do a "Bang, lookie here, squashed like a bug."  Wink  Grin

Eh.....handy at times, but all one needs to do is tune in the WFD (What Fudds Do) net to hear multiple stations transmitting simultaneously.  Grin

A compromise may be to use that original starter rig into a big linear amp.         

Or not. I'm like you, Joe - a lot of different rigs interest me, and it's fun to operate various stations. The key is using the appropriate gear/station for the conditions.

I must admit and I thought I would never feel this way, but when I run into someone who is using a stock whatever and it may be less great audio its nice to hear what it was.  Since so many signals sound great these days the contrast is noticed in sometimes a good nostalgic way.  If nothing else, it gives a reference point on how far we have come with good audio.     

Exactly. I've probably mentioned it here numerous times, a couple years back three of us were operating on 40M one afternoon: Frank/SQP, Joe/PJP, and myself. Frank was running a stock Valiant he'd just got working for a friend along with a National NC-300. Joe was using his recently-rebuilt-to-original Heathkit Injun station, and I was using a stock 32V-2/75A-1 combo. It was enjoyable and interesting to sit back listening to what a roundtable would've sounded like back in the late 50s/early 60s. Zero audio mods with period-correct mics and original receivers playing through original speakers.

Not something I'd expect or even try on 75m at night, but good ol' fun in the right place at the right time. That's what the Green gear brings back to this station. Not a replacement for the big rigs, just another neat toy. In this case I blame Joe/PJP for getting me to give the Heathkit gear a second look!  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015