The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 12:53:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station update - Collins Twins  (Read 9395 times)
w1vtp

« on: September 05, 2012, 02:04:36 AM »

Notice I did NOT say "Gold Dust Twins" I know what those  are.   OK that aside.  This is the latest update to my station.  The 32V1 was modded by non other than Timmy WA1HLR.  I'm told it sounds great.  I am using the Flex 5000 as a station monitor in this mode.  That carrier on the screen is my carrier.  I sample off the output transmission line with a Bird variable sampler, drop it down with a 30 dB attenuator and stuff it into the antenna #2 spigot during this mode so I can not only sample my modulation but also see any spurious junque off the side. You can see what the carrier level is - a safe level for the Flex.  I can also monitor the output signal with a pair of  Bose QC-2 noise canceling headphones that gives me instant HiFi gratification - I like what I hear.

Pics are as follows

1) A look at the twins along with a display of the carrier.  Also shown is the Tapco 27 band EQ (top left) and the Jenson monitor speaker. It’s upside down so the tweeter is at my ear level. 

2) The Station Manager, Rosie (yup, she got promoted from "mascot" to "station manager"  In this case, I failed the audit on wire management.  I distinctly heard her meow  "clean this #$$%^ mess up." 

3) Rear view of the bench that holds the twins and also provides a place for the RX / TX transfer box that switches the ant from RX to TX and gives me SPDT contacts for, in this case, linear amp RX to TX mode.  I also installed a 10 outlet power strip.

So with the setup and Timmy's secret mod I get three levels of operation:  Low power = 10 - 20 watts, Medium power = 75 - 100 watts and finally in the lower power mode and the AL 82 amp a 250 watt carrier.

Now on to the Class E, the Viking or the Bendix projects – I can’t figure out which one to do.

Oh yeah, the receiver is a 75A2

Al

* COLLINS TWINS.jpg (431.83 KB, 3000x1987 - viewed 559 times.)

* W1VTP STATION MGR.jpg (396.58 KB, 3000x1987 - viewed 556 times.)

* COLLINS TWINS REAR.jpg (472.47 KB, 3000x1987 - viewed 480 times.)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:25:39 AM »

Thanks for posting.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:37:23 AM »

Nice Coillins.
Nice cat sitting on the CAT-5 cable
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »

Nice station Al.  I am sure the rig sounds very good.  I think I heard a little bit of it the other day on the AWA net but conditions between us were not that great. 

Question for you sir, I noticed you going out of the A2 on the 500 ohm tap and running that into another transformer going from 500 ohms to something else.  My guess is you driving an 8 ohm speaker but that may not be the case.  So what advantage do you find over just going out the 4 ohm tap right to the speaker your using on your A2? 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »

Nice setup Al.  I cant wait to hear it as the band opens to phx.  I think the last time we talked you had a lower power setup.

C
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »

<snip>

Question for you sir, I noticed you going out of the A2 on the 500 ohm tap and running that into another transformer going from 500 ohms to something else.  My guess is you driving an 8 ohm speaker but that may not be the case.  So what advantage do you find over just going out the 4 ohm tap right to the speaker your using on your A2? 

Joe, W3GMS

Only that I thought that the 4 ohm tap was originally intended for headphones and was not sure if I should have used it for the speaker.  I had a couple of those Hammond 1190A transformers kicking around and just put it into the circuit without really thinking about it.  It's going to become moot as I intend to hook up the SE-3 and will be bypassing the whole audio output circuit soon.  The speaker as shown in the front view is a Jensen JP500.  It is an 8 ohm speaker.

Al
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »

Nice setup Al.  I cant wait to hear it as the band opens to phx.  I think the last time we talked you had a lower power setup.

C

Looking forward to it Clark.  PM me on your operating times and I will be looking for you

Al
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:53:41 AM »

The more accurate description Al would be Collins Siblings. The twin to the 32V series is the 75A-1 which matches both in appearance and band coverage. The A-2 & 3 came out afterward and were paired up the the KW-1 ala no purty chrome strips. And of course, the A-4 was their first SSB design, matched to the KWS-1. I like the 1 & 4 the best.

But who cares? It's a great looking station and I have no doubt you'll get a lot of enjoyment from it. Logged a lot of hours on my 32V-2 back in the 80s-90s, they are wonderful transmitters. It's supposed to cool off down here a by next week, so hopefully the static will subside and we can work. Looking forward to hearing it.

Congrats!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:32:25 AM »

<snip>

Question for you sir, I noticed you going out of the A2 on the 500 ohm tap and running that into another transformer going from 500 ohms to something else.  My guess is you driving an 8 ohm speaker but that may not be the case.  So what advantage do you find over just going out the 4 ohm tap right to the speaker your using on your A2?  

Joe, W3GMS

Only that I thought that the 4 ohm tap was originally intended for headphones and was not sure if I should have used it for the speaker.  I had a couple of those Hammond 1190A transformers kicking around and just put it into the circuit without really thinking about it.  It's going to become moot as I intend to hook up the SE-3 and will be bypassing the whole audio output circuit soon.  The speaker as shown in the front view is a Jensen JP500.  It is an 8 ohm speaker.

Al

Al, since your retired now and have all that extra time on your hands, run the speaker directly to the 4 ohm output on the rcvr and send me your findings Wink.  I will then sleep better at night rather than having nightmares at 2AM in the morning about your shack being nothing more than a desk with 1000's of transformers on it Wink.

The fewer transformers the better at least most of the time!  

Joe

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
n2ffl
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »

Looking good Al! I see the "station manager" is there to oversee operations.

I think the 32V is sounding great! Yeah Timmy's been behind a lot of good sounding stations on AM. He was instrumental in getting my Valiant to sound good.

Ron
N2FFL
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »

Nice clean setup there!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w1vtp

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 10:47:48 AM »

Jon:  I couldn't take the Station Manager's nagging (make that meowing) any longer.  The CAT-5 cable has been coiled up and put away.  That part of the floor is beginning to reappear.

Todd: I could be talked into a 75A1 but this A2 is such a nice RX and in such nice electrical condition it'll be hard to make any substitutions.

All:  Replaced the 4D32 with a NOS one and didn't really see much of a difference.  The station still has some equipment to install: a Viking 1 with SX-73 and an ART13 with SuperPro 600 and later to be replaced with a SP400.  The TA12 has to be squeezed in there somewhere.

I still have the Class E project - that'll be used in conjunction with the Flex 1500.  That's the plan for now.  I'm feeling smug with all that stuff  Grin

Al
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »

Hi Al nice pics! Can't wait to hear your new old station OTA!

I think therefore AM
w1vtp

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »

One final post if I may.  Rosie approves the 32V1 as a nice addition to her heat sources, err, the station.  She seems quite comfortable

Al

* ROSIE COLLINS (1).jpg (482.7 KB, 3000x1987 - viewed 428 times.)

* ROSIE COLLINS (2).jpg (563.95 KB, 3000x1987 - viewed 395 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 01:06:47 PM »

Todd: I could be talked into a 75A1 but this A2 is such a nice RX and in such nice electrical condition it'll be hard to make any substitutions.

Oh, by all means - keep and enjoy the A-2. I like the audio of the A-1 a bit more myself, and of course it pairs up nicely with the 32V series. Especially the cool band-in-use dial lighting. Rather than an either/or, I see it as an opportunity to enjoy both. I had the 75A-4 sitting on the same table with the A-1/V-2 and used both regularly before swapping out the A Line station.

It's all good!

* RadioRoom18.JPG (239.41 KB, 960x720 - viewed 438 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »

Al,

After working you on 40 meters yesterday I'd have to say that your Collins setup sounds as good as it looks! Very nice indeed, in spite of the shortwave broadcaster that's beating against your signal.

Rob W1AEX

* Al - W1VTP 7.290000MHz 9-7-2012.mp3 (386.12 KB - downloaded 155 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
w1vtp

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 01:27:42 PM »

Oh, by all means - keep and enjoy the A-2. I like the audio of the A-1 a bit more myself, and of course it pairs up nicely with the 32V series. Especially the cool band-in-use dial lighting. Rather than an either/or, I see it as an opportunity to enjoy both. I had the 75A-4 sitting on the same table with the A-1/V-2 and used both regularly before swapping out the A Line station.

It's all good!

I probably will keep the A2.  I am chafing under the tight BW of the A2.  Before I do anything drastic, I will try things with my SE-3 and then decide.  I did some monitoring of my Flex AM signal and I didn't like what I heard so the A2 audio being distorted lives up to its legend.  The SE-3 will remove that but the BW may still plague me

Al
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 11:08:32 PM »

Rose is a nice little lady there, Al, but do you find that after some time, hair and dander gets in the gear? It happened with an inactive SX-28 here. After daily sleeping by a cat for 3 years, a lot of stuff got inside. The hair wasn't an issue for the vacuum but the dander/cat dandruff took some cleaning.

w1vtp

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »

Rose is a nice little lady there, Al, but do you find that after some time, hair and dander gets in the gear? It happened with an inactive SX-28 here. After daily sleeping by a cat for 3 years, a lot of stuff got inside. The hair wasn't an issue for the vacuum but the dander/cat dandruff took some cleaning.

Thanks for the tip Pat.  I'll keep an eye out.  Yeah, I can feel that dander when I pat any of my kitties.  I call it "cat spit" but it may not be that.   Grin

Others: I think I have the audio dialed in so that it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the V1 and the Flex.  They both sound pretty good to my 75 year old ears

Al
n2ffl
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »

Others: I think I have the audio dialed in so that it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the V1 and the Flex.  They both sound pretty good to my 75 year old ears

Al

You're sounding great on both. I wouldn't have known you were back on the Flex if you hadn't mentioned it. Good job and you have the Rosie seal of approval which is a plus!  Grin
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »

Thanks for the tip Pat.  I'll keep an eye out.  Yeah, I can feel that dander when I pat any of my kitties.  I call it "cat spit" but it may not be that.   Grin

Al

Not sure about spit, it is like little specks or flakes, some cats make more, some less. The little beasts don't have much in the way of spit, or the ones around here don't (one reason I prefer them is the "drool shortage" compared to a canine). In the SX28 case the cat would groom itself there from time to time as well as sleep.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »

sounding good Al.   Very nice old station!
C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015