The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 01:56:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad tasting tape needed  (Read 9711 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: November 26, 2011, 11:16:18 PM »

Through no fault of my own a puppy has entered my life. Buster makes up for the other dog, Betty, the World's Best Dog.  He has a real fondness for Scotch 33, 35, and 88 tapes, the ones I use for antenna work having given up on coax seal. I put accessible coax in plastic conduit but sure enough Buster found the place where the coax pokes out of the conduit which I'd sealed with the tasty tape. He chewed through the tape and the coax.

I've switched to the non-sticky water proofing tape they sell at HRO.  I'd list the brand but Buster ate the label. It does stink. I hope he hates it. Any of you find anything that is dog yucky that works?

* Buster.jpg (594.82 KB, 4288x2848 - viewed 504 times.)

* Betty.jpg (640.78 KB, 3872x2592 - viewed 519 times.)
W4AAB

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:44:57 PM »

Cayenne pepper usually does the trick on most dogs. They tend to leave things alone that have a heavy dose poured around it. YMMV.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 12:43:08 AM »

In my experience, dogs unfortunately often like the nastiest things. So a different sort of 'unpleasant' is needed.

Hisco makes a heat shrink tubing with a heavy dose of cyan pepper in it that is designed to repel rodents. I got a sample at a trade show, it's at work. I don't see it in their website at the moment, it may be a new product.
http://www.hiscoinc.com/

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 01:04:13 AM »

lmao. I'd list the brand but Buster ate the label.  Grin Grin

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
K5IIA

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 04:42:40 AM »

yea i just used hot sause and rubbed it on. we had a dog that liked to eat wires behind tv.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 08:51:13 AM »

Jack, that tape is probably Rescue Tape, there was a guy at Pacificon selling it. Red pepper works for sure.

Bob
ab3al
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

you just need to feed him better
KE7KPB

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 02:18:59 PM »

You could try Bitter Apple. It is a spray that you could pick up at pet smart or pet outlets.
I read this to my wife and she is a dog lover to the max. She had a good chuckle. Grin
kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »

who did not laugh at this I had same thing but mine was a ground I went to check something and like huh! no power then bam there's ac there hmmm! the dog ate my ground! well put a new one in then put it in a heavy garden hose
K1ZJH

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »

What breed are those pups? Cute faces!  I miss my lab/border collie mix, she was the best dog I ever owned.

My son just picked up a pound puppy--looks to be mostly border collie by the markings.

Totally nuts and she NEVER stops.. never.

Pete
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »

Back in the late 70's we had two Wire-hair Fox Terriers (Scuffy and Suki) that looked like these two. The male, on a number of occasions, would chew right through double-shielded RG-214/U running on the ground to various antennas. Wound up having to dig some channels underground to run the coax across the yard.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 02:44:01 PM »

What breed are those pups? Cute faces!  I miss my lab/border collie mix, she was the best dog I ever owned.

My son just picked up a pound puppy--looks to be mostly border collie by the markings.

Totally nuts and she NEVER stops.. never.

Pete
A lab/border collie sure could be a wonderful dog.

Both our dogs are rescues so we don't really know what they are. We think Betty is mostly Aussie with a little lab. She's never seen water that she didn't want to jump in.  Mr. Trouble, Buster, is a long haired Dachshund with something else thrown in to make him a little bigger and less Dachshund shaped although one vet thought he might just be a pure doxie. We chose Betty.  Buster chose us.

Here's another shot of Buster after he fixed Betty's bed.

* Buster fixed the bed.jpg (635.81 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 548 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »

A cat would never do a job like that, but if he did, he'd make sure the dog was blamed.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 10:46:37 PM »

When my boxer Petey was a pup he sometimes went after wires.  One time I found a partly-chewed lamp cord when I got home and from that time on he studiously avoided any wires at all.  He was pretty lucky he didn't get electrocuted but it was enough to learn him up for life - after that, he never chewed on ANYTHING that he didn't know was his, such as a toy or a nylabone.  We could never give him plush toys though, because he'd rip them to shreds in seconds.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Dave K6XYZ

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 11:57:10 PM »

You might try putting about 12" of RG-213 or some Davis Bury-Flex in his dish....then your dawg wouldn't have to go find your coax to chew because it has some of its own!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 10:11:10 PM »

But you wouldn't want him getting to the shield, he could cut his mouth up on the strands - bad news!
Could it be some chemical odor or something in the cable insulation that attracts him?

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »

I was in error about Hisco. The stuff I was given a sample of is from a company called www.holden-tech.com 281-259-8842 and it is a kind of sleeve that goes over coax or what-have-you and contains "capsaicin". It is sold to deter rodents but I imagine a dog would find it as unpleasant.

Its called "ROUNDIT" and is made by Federal Mogul / Bentley Harris.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »

IIRC, "capsaicin" is the stuff that makes the heat in hot peppers.

In that case you will still have problems if your dog has developed a taste for hot food............... Shocked

Many years ago, we used to mix ground Cayenne pepper with boat bottom paint. It was supposed to help keep the barnacles off of the boat bottom.
It actually did seem to help.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
kd7qdu
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 01:47:08 PM »

"In that case you will still have problems if your dog has developed a taste for hot food...............  "

If your dog is a Chihuahua you might have some trouble.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:55:17 AM »

What ever happened here? Did the OP try the Roundit product?

WA3VJB
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 11:09:41 AM »

A cat would never do a job like that, but if he did, he'd make sure the dog was blamed.

Au contraire.

Of our three cats, "Cleo" took a liking to the vinyl 12-3 feeding 240VAC to the hot water heater. She'd get up there and sleep because it was warm.  I saw teeth marks. Changed it to flexible conduit and she went on to live another 16 years.

"Harley," now 20, likes the coiled telephone cord in the bedroom. We aren't sure whether chewing it is our "alarm clock," for morning feeding, or whether she likes the taste.

In neither case can the dogs catch blame.

On the other paw, our main dog when he was a puppy liked to chew 29¢ plastic wall boxes that I would buy him. The only thing that would stand up to the Lab's Jaws of Doom.

But he has always left alone any available coax, cable and AC lines.

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »

Mr Buster had no use for the sealing tape I bought at HRO, the tape I mentioned in the first post. Scotch 88 remains a favorite of his as do other plastic items.

* Probe.jpg (226.5 KB, 2489x1971 - viewed 323 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015