The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:59:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80 M VERTICALS SPACING  (Read 2540 times)
KB5MD
Contributing

« on: August 29, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »

What is the best spacing for two 80m verticals?  I have mine spaced at 1/2 wave or approx 125'.  I have heard 1/4 wave, 3/4 wave and 1/2 wave for the spacing between the verticals.
Mine work okay but I wonder if they are at the proper spacing for greatest performance. Some of you antenna guru's, I would like to settle this once an for all.  I sure don't want to move one unless there is something to be gained.
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »

It all depends upon the pattern you are trying to achieve.  Your spacing is ideal for a figure 8.  At 1/4 wave spacing, when fed with 90 degree phase shift, a cardioid pattern will result.

Chris

K3YA
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »

I've worked with 80M verticals for more then 20 years now chasing DX.  There is no one right answer to your question, like Chris said it depends on the  desired pattern.  For a  2 element array I like a switchable cardioid patten. 1/4 wavelength spacing.  I use about 120 degrees of phase difference obtained with an L network between the elements. 

1/2 wave spacing provides a bidirectional pattern.  However I prefer the "front to back" of a   unidirectional pattern.

Elements  in a wide  spaced arrays have  a higher  feedpoint impedance and I feel that  gives greater efficiency if used with a less then ideal ground system.

If you  have  the  room, a  "4 square" is a lot better  then  any  2 element array in my experience. 
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »

With 1/4 wave you can get a cardioid pattern in 2 directions endfire and a figure 8 broadside with simple coax phasing lines. I ran that way for decades on 80 and 160 and worked lots of DX....over 300 DXCC on 80 and first 5BWAZ in New England.

If the verticals are short then its possible to use 1/8 wave spacing but in all cases I suggest you get ON4UN's Low Band DXing book, 5th Edition on line or at ham stores.

Carl
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:40:36 AM »

Couldn't agree more. Excellent coverage in this book, plus recent editions include a ton of software that will help you design the system, especially the phasing lines or phasing networks.

As with any vertical system, the radial field will make or break the performance.

If the verticals are short then its possible to use 1/8 wave spacing but in all cases I suggest you get ON4UN's Low Band DXing book, 5th Edition on line or at ham stores.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015