The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 05:12:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurray for NASA and JPL  (Read 2616 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: August 06, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »

Curiosity has landed and sent back 64 x 64 test pix. How amazing is that, a sky hooked one tonner chock full of instruments? Cool

http://www.nasa.gov/

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »

Rick, you gotta love a mission where the design engineers label the landing procedure as "seven minutes of terror". What an amazing trip!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:16:59 AM »

USA #1!!!!!!
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »

I just hope the Martians don't get too upset that foreigners have landed a small atomic plant in their yard, and that it'll be driving around for a while.

And what if the United Nations symbol for nuclear hazard is interpreted as some kind of Martian Fast Food Delivery service. I mean, "hot to go" right?

"Who ordered wasabe?"

* un-radioactive_warning_sign.jpg (40.53 KB, 245x200 - viewed 322 times.)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

Here's JPL video that has some detail that has not been on the mainstream news:  http://lacanadaflintridge.patch.com/articles/getting-to-mars-seven-minutes-of-terror-video 

There are other videos of the project at the end of this video that are very interesting too. 

Quite a feat in robotics engineering if I may add. Human ingenuity at it's best.

A new Olympics event? Why not, afterall we have badminton and synchronized swimming as a sport.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »

And... it's leaving Morse code footprints!

http://www.slashgear.com/curiosity-rover-tags-mars-with-morse-tire-tracks-06241847/
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »

Cornell had a live landing viewing event scheduled to start at quarter to midnight on Sunday. I decided to go since it's a piece of history and right in my backyard.

I figured it would be me and about 12 other geek in the auditorium. I was shocked to find the place practically standing room only - probably 500 people or more. Not just hard core geeks either. I saw whole families with small children there to be part of the moment.

There were 3 planetary scientists explaining the mission, the site selection, and the sequence of events to come with the EDL. After they finished, they switched to the live feed from JPL.

It was a pretty emotional moment for the whole crowd when they made the announcement from the telemetry "Safe on Mars!". I saw more than a few folks with tears in their eyes.

Pretty darned cool.  Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015