The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:34:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1VTP SWL Station Equipment  (Read 12564 times)
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »

I don't like the looks of the knobs and dials on the Hammarlund, the Hallicrafters is a much better looking receiver. But, I'd rather have the R-390 with the odometer style tuning dial than a round dial like the other two.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »

Nice little pile-o-gear, Al. I'm really glad you bought that SX-73. I had my eye on it and was trying to behave (sell stuff, not buy more), but it sure was tempting.

Along with WQEW there was another AM station in MA that played Big Band & Swing, WCRN as I recall. A few years after QEW went down the tubes, CRN changed format to moldie oldies from the 50s-60s. AM 740 in Canada is one of the few stations still programming Swing/BB. There is still plenty of other stuff to listen to out there, though nowhere near what was available even 5-10 years back. But there's something to be said for kicking back and tuning around the bands to see what you can find.

I've attached a pic of my former SWL rack which has since been disassembled and the rack re-purposed for audio gear. After first moving south, it was my only connection with radio until things were unpacked and a place found for the station.

If that Bird panel ever gets to be a bother, just give a holler.  Grin

* ListeningPost3.JPG (301.89 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 322 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w1vtp

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 10:42:34 PM »

<snip>

I've attached a pic of my former SWL rack which has since been disassembled and the rack re-purposed for audio gear. After first moving south, it was my only connection with radio until things were unpacked and a place found for the station.

If that Bird panel ever gets to be a bother, just give a holler.  Grin

I'm not sure what the setup is going to be in 6 to 12 months but it sure is nice now.  So you fondled the tuning knob on my 73.  Smooth, huh?

The Bird has been temporarily discontinued from main service until I figure out what to do with the 1 KW max spec which is probably limited by the sampler.  I want to talk to Chuck Martin about it before I make any decisions.  It is nice I agree.  I'm currently using a Bird 43 with the peak detect board option.

Al
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »

I'm not sure what the setup is going to be in 6 to 12 months but it sure is nice now.  So you fondled the tuning knob on my 73.  Smooth, huh?
Yep, I wandered past that receiver a number of times, once just before talking to you in your truck as you were heading to park. Smooth is an understatement. As they say in areas south of you, "It's like buttah!" It's one of a handful of receivers I'd still like to own someday, but not until more of the excess stuff here finds new homes. My SWL setup has had many incarnations over the years until the R-390/A/SP-600 group came together. The 390s were great for weak signal stuff, but the 600 got the bulk of the activity due to ease of use. It now resides in an original cabinet plucked from the back of a vehicle at NEAR-Fest for a whopping $20.

I've got Derb's old Bird 43 here and it sure is handy to have. Especially when you don't have a friend nearby with one to borrow. My future plans include one of the dual reading panel versions as part of the antenna switching network project. If I get to that as fast as I get to everything else, it won't be anytime soon.

Not sure, but I think one of the little-known requirements of membership here is that you have to post updated photos whenever you make equipment changes such as reconfiguring that SWL rack. Just so you know.   Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015