The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:14:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Shack/ Shop  (Read 17515 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 05:54:58 AM »

I disagree HUZ and invite you to visit my beach QTH on a winter day to stand in front of the windows facing south. Or ask Dean KNX about my solar set up.
He stopped by on a cold winter day to enjoy 85 degrees next to my south facing windows.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »

Yes, you have a solar set up. You are using the sun on purpose. Of course that 85 kinda sucks in the summer, so I wonder if there is any net gain. In cases where one is not, windows should not allow cold air in. They should not allow sun in either (unless you like high AC bills).
WA1GFZ

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »

Carefully designed overhang above windows keeps the sun out this time of the year.
The cat loves the nice cool stone floor. Barely gets past the window sill now. Winter it will come in 15 feet when the sun is low.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »

Hmm. You must have magic grass and dirt to stop the reflection.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 01:45:05 PM »

Actually many newer windows are designed to allow in radiant sunlight at a particular lower angle and block it at others, basically letting you benefit from it in winter while blocking it in summer. Something like polarizing or such, I forget. If you just use stock glass, all bets are off. We pay hell here in summer due to a lack of tall shade trees close in to the house. But nothing has fallen on the roof in the hurricanes, tornadoes, or windstorms either.

But hey - Joe's garage has no windows. Moot point, yuppies or otherwise.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »

Garden is directly outside the windows. There isn't much reflection.
When there is show on the ground it really reflects energy at the windows.
You can't stand near the window for very long on a sunny day during the winter if there is snow on the ground.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »

I have a similar setup on the back or south side of the house as Frank. Lots of glass. It approaches 80 during the dead of winter. Zone 1 rarely comes on during the day under full sun.  Got trees that are in full bloom during the summer to provide some shade. Cooling not a problem.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »

Interesting techniques -   using glass that favors lower angles for winter and trees that are transparent in winter, but grow shade in summer.

I remember being in Frank's sun room in the winter. It was actually too hot for comfort, but that was the idea - to store up heat for the night.

Maybe the ultimate Yuppie option would be a moveable astro-dome over the whole house, caw mawn.

My best effort for winter was putting in a FB coal stove and real chimney a few years back. One 200 gallon oil tank from Sept - April is 1/2 used. The coal stove is extra work but the glow and heat is fun.

For summer, being at 805' elv and breezy generally keeps us about 10 degrees cooler than at sea level.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ve6pg

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »

..nice, and this should push me along...mine looks almost the same..it is 30x46, big 15foot sliding door, and smaller regular door... it was a grow-op before i owned the place...slowly getting it organized...only taken 5 yrs to get to painting the inside walls...

tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015