The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:41:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gates modulator  (Read 6591 times)
W9BHI

« on: May 08, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »

Rather large Gates modulator on FleaBay.
Might be interesting.
Uses 100TH tubes.

W9BHI
KA3EKH

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »

Looking at most of the stuff Gates turned out that’s not big, maybe a modulator for a little 100 to 250 watt transmit but by Gates standards that’s little. That’s small enough that one man can lift it!
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »

A pair of 100ths will do 300 to 425 watts of modulator power.  No slouch. Enough for 500watts of carrier.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »

Yep,  that mod trans is easily a 500-W size.  Easily mod a gallon speech-only.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »

Is that really a rare item, or is that the typical ebay seller's scheme of "I really don't know what is it or what it's worth, so I'll call it rare and hope I get big bucks from it"?

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »

Rare?  Probably not. But I have a different idea of rare then others.  Its kind of neat.  If you needed a modulator.

C
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:17 PM »

Well, it is rare in the context that you can't just jot down to the parts store and grab those items it is built with off the shelf.

To the crowd here, it is more familiar and more often seen.

It would look pretty good cleaned up and in black wrinkle.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »

Well, it is rare in the context that you can't just jot down to the parts store and grab those items it is built with off the shelf.

To the crowd here, it is more familiar and more often seen.

It would look pretty good cleaned up and in black wrinkle.

73DG

That's what I figured. One of my biggest pet peeves is ebay sellers marking stuff as rare when they probably don't know what it really is. I really hate when I see common tubes marked as "rare." I think I saw some 813s marked that way once.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »

He's got the power supply for it as well...

Ebay # 230787023359

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 12:28:41 PM »

Anyone that splits up gear like that should be taken out back and shot.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »

"Shot" is just a bit harsh, how about  "FLOGGED"?  Angry

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »

Ok.  Your right.  flogged it is. 

The point is,  I see this crap all the time.  They sell a radio with no power supply.  Radio with no filters inside. Then you see all the filters up next week.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 12:28:19 AM »

I quite often feel that way about many of the "rug merchants" selling anything in the collectable market. but......... The old addage sometimes comes up in my head.
"Some must die so others can live".

I have been active in another collectable hobby besides radios for many years. It is the wild and wacky world of antique gas engines. I have been active / somewhat active in that hobby for close to 40 years. They had "rug merchants" 40 years ago! ! ! !

There used to be this guy that used to set up shop at all of the local shows in these parts selling parts for old engines. Most of us had many choice words for / about him for destroying perfectly restorable engines to break them up and sell them in parts. It used to break all of us collectors hearts to see him tear a really nice engine apart to peddle it off in parts. We could all see it if you had an engine that was too far gone to repair / restore, but not one that was easily restorable. That was heiresy!!!

But ya know what, where else were you going to find a governor assembly for your 1915 Fuller and Johnson 2hp stationary engine? ? ? ? The shame of it was that we ALL bought parts from him when he had what you needed because it was a lot easier than making them from scratch. He has since passed on and we all miss having him around, even though we disaproved of his methods.  He was one of the first ones to most of the shows, and if he could buy something cheap, it got broken down for parts! Many times we had to endure the pain of watching him do it!!

Henceforth we get back one more time to: "some must die so others can live".

But if more survive, the the ones that do become worth less, the less that survive the more valuable the survivors become. It may well suck, and I agree that it does, but it is just a simple rule of economics, short, sweet, and simple  Cry  Cry

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »

Please post eBay stuff in this section, eBay Items and Other Links.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?board=35.0

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015