The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:15:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KAY Elemetrics P9040A Spectrum Analyzer ?  (Read 5231 times)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »

Anyone have any info on the KAY Elemetrics P9040A Spectrum Analyzer ?   Can't seem to find anything on the web.

Specifications ? documentation ? any experience with this gear ?

Thanks

Sam

--- Post No Bills ---
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »

I'm not familiar with that model number but I've seen and used some Kay stuff in the past. I'm guessing you item is fairly old?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

You can try the current company but I wouldn't be hopeful:
http://www.kayelemetrics.com/index.php?option=com_aboutkay&task=editShow&rec_id=1&menu_id=0&controller=aboutkay_cmphp&Itemid=2

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »

Is this the same Kay that made the Rada-Sweep, Kilo-Sweep, and other sweeping signal sources some of which had markers?

If so, I have corresponded with the son and he was pleased that someone was putting one of his father's instruments into use after many years, sent me some schematics for a Kilo-Sweep.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
vincent
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 03:33:07 AM »

If you don’t have any information these few may, perhaps, help you:

http://books.google.it/books?id=SUcqAQAAIAAJ&q=KAY+Elemetrics+spectrum+analyzer+P9040A&dq=KAY+Elemetrics+spectrum+analyzer+P9040A&hl=it&ei=GaiFT_2GM5T44QTYlIS-Bw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=1&ved=0CD0Q6wEwAA

http://www.google.it/search?hl=it&q=KAY%20Elemetrics%20spectrum%20analyzer%209040&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=760&wrapid=tlif133415892382910&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw&ei=eqaFT5SACMbP4QS74uz4Bw#hl=it&q=KAY+Elemetrics+spectrum+analyzer+9040A&um=1&ie=UTF8&tbo=u&tbm=bks&source=og&sa=N&tab=wp&ei=vKmFT_KiNsvS4QTCoczMBw&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=e2736b09bb71573a&biw=1440&bih=760

I think not to say anything new by saying that Kay Elemetrics has made several interesting instruments, who does not remember or have held their attenuators with snap switches?
I also have their Mega Node Noise Generator/NF meter (tubes).
WB6NVH

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 08:42:02 PM »

Yes, this is the same Kay that made the sweepers and attenuators and so forth.  The instrument mentioned, along with a couple others such as the 1520A, were the last the firm sold before changing direction.  They no longer make test equipment along this line but have something to do with hearing aids as I recall.

I contacted the company about data on my solid state sweep signal generator, 1520A, and got nowhere.  Sometime later I found out that an actually useful federal program has digitized an extensive number of test equipment manuals and put them on a server or CD's so that firms bidding on calibration contracts will always have access to the documentation.  That's where I finally found my manual.  Whether this one is in that program, I don't know, or how to access it, I don't remember.  I am thinking that the last Kay items were made for government contracts and then they left the business (other than as the current incarnation.)  BUt in any case, there may be a pdf floating around out there.  I looked for a book for mine for a long time before I found the pdf.   I don't have the URL for the site with the manuals, but if I find it I will post back here.  That being said, as I recall it's a secured government site requiring log-in password and permission.

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »

If you clicked on the link I provided, it will tell what they were, who they were, and where/who they are now.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:11:47 PM »

Yes, this is the same Kay that made the sweepers and attenuators and so forth.  The instrument mentioned, along with a couple others such as the 1520A, were the last the firm sold before changing direction.  They no longer make test equipment along this line but have something to do with hearing aids as I recall.

I contacted the company about data on my solid state sweep signal generator, 1520A, and got nowhere.  Sometime later I found out that an actually useful federal program has digitized an extensive number of test equipment manuals and put them on a server or CD's so that firms bidding on calibration contracts will always have access to the documentation.  That's where I finally found my manual.  Whether this one is in that program, I don't know, or how to access it, I don't remember.  I am thinking that the last Kay items were made for government contracts and then they left the business (other than as the current incarnation.)  BUt in any case, there may be a pdf floating around out there.  I looked for a book for mine for a long time before I found the pdf.  

What site is it?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
vincent
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »

Kay Elemetrics short form catalogue here:  Cheesy
http://www.radiopharos.it/Carta%20Scansionata-Scanned%20Paper/Carta%20Scan.%20Paper%20Index.htm

Item 19
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »

Nice find!
vincent
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 03:08:42 AM »

Thanks! Yesterday I went down in the basement, while I was immerged in all those “papers” that I have  Shocked, searching for something, this catalogue came out.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015