The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:28:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest on homebrew ladder line  (Read 20929 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 09:01:01 AM »

Agreed. There will be no difference between the G5RV and the ZS6BKW. The latter just frees you from a tuner. Also, when fed properly, there will be no difference between a full-sized dipole and a G5RV.

Your G5RV system is resonant. That's what the tuner is doing.  Grin

I don't see how a coil loaded set up will do any better than the G5RV, especially since you have 7/8 HL (if I read that right) from the tower to your station. But as Rob said, if all coax is what you want, just let the ends hang vertically a little and you can have a full size dipole. Making a high-Q, low loss coil is not easy and they will be big and also weigh a lot. Then you have to weatherize them or corrosion reduces the Q and loss goes up.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »

BalUns work fine when the rules are followed.

Many people wrote and said that the best way to go balanced from an unbalanced radio setup is to put a 1:1 balun before a balanced tuner (I plan to do that).

For getting the individual wires of the ladder line into the building, I used ceramic tube insulators. These are ceramic type, thick wall, of the "knob and tube" ceramic wiring hardware used in past times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob_and_tube
 - or see the attachment
They can still be found at junk shops and flea markets for almost nothing. PVC might be OK but the insulators were on hand already.

* Tubes-no-knobs.jpg (32.66 KB, 602x592 - viewed 547 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »

here's the pics I was looking for. It shows using ceramic tubes though a thin wall and a way to prevent the ladder leads from slipping out of the tubes and falling from the wall to the ground as could happen if I disconnect the indoor line alligator clips for any reason. The soldered-on lugs can't fit through the washers, so the line can only move so much. This does not support a long run of line, but it could if beefed up a little, maybe with a hose clamp around each ceramic tube. The goo is rubber cement.

A large military 3PDT switch mounted inside a plastic tool box grounds the ladder line when not in use. The third section isn't used, I thought it might be good in case I run a coax. in from a tower mounted discone or something tall. The two wires going to the left are a short piece of ladderline running up to the ceramic tubes insulators mentioned.

* 100_9655.jpg (1217.85 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 538 times.)

* 100_9657.jpg (186.11 KB, 1091x884 - viewed 529 times.)

* 100_9660.jpg (156.54 KB, 571x1000 - viewed 544 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015