The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:16:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Federal T&R Field Meter coming home...  (Read 5819 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: March 30, 2012, 12:39:35 AM »

Life doles out tidbits from time to time, I just landed this jewel.

Having used the more modern ones making a living for years, this one ought to make a great foxhunt job for HF fun.

73DG

* FTR FIM.jpg (488.9 KB, 1057x1600 - viewed 489 times.)

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:23:33 AM »

How many "AA's" does it take?  Smiley

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:04:02 AM »

More like the 6-Volt in your '55 Plymouth. Wink

73DG

W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:53:23 AM »

Is home, almost mint with all books.  Model 101C, 1946 date.

I'll get some more photos and operating reports as time permits.

A lightweight boatanchor, if such can be.

Field day fun radio.... Cheesy

73DG

KC2ZFA

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »

make sure you always carry along the recorder that goes with it:

Grin
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:08:09 PM »

make sure you always carry along the recorder that goes with it:
<snip>
 Grin

One of my jobs as a teen was making simple repairs of electronics in a music store.  It had one of those Edisons in the basement where I worked.  I had a chance to play the thing.  The store owner had a bunch of cylinders.

Funny, I forgot about that job

Al
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:13 PM »

Seems like there was one subsequent "portable" FI meter - Singer?  before the Nems-Clarke  (also RCA) meters became the standard.  Mine works and is in very nice shape, but is missing the battery plug.  I think the plug was made by Cinch.

These meters can still work pretty well, but were supplanted by the 70's vintage FIM-41 / 21 series still in use.

I've never figured out how the calibration oscillator maintains amplitude stability over the very wide temperature range it encounters - there is a 1n60 diode from the grid to ground, and I know those germanium diodes' forward threshold moved a lot with temp.

K4KYV gave me a connector for it, but turned out to have the wrong number of pins.

Chris

* nems_clarke.jpg (161.73 KB, 1000x834 - viewed 380 times.)
KA3EKH

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »

I have a Potomac Instruments FIM-41 that I use for doing the regular measurements for the two AM broadcast station I take care of, nice meter with real good audio quality. Had the cluster of stations buy that back about ten years ago when I started working for them. At that time they had some old gray case field strength meter that was all tube but about the same size as the Potomac and I told the regional director of engineering that in order to do the AM sites we needed a working meter so that’s how I got a new unit, there was lots of money in radio ten years ago! Thought that would be a great project to find batteries or build an inverter for it so put the meter aside on a shelf in the engineering office and forgot about it. Being a part time employee and only being responsible for STL and Transmitter operations don’t spend a lot of time in the engineering office so by the time I thought about it went back to collect up the old tube meter and noticed it was gone, asked the IT engineer who is full time and always there where he put it and he told me" you wanted that old piece of junk?, I threw it out weeks ago" guess I should have taken it when I had the chance because now it's at the bottom of a landfill.

W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »

I own both a FIM-41 & 71 used in my consulting business. 

They are, without a doubt, the most cool & expensive portable receivers. Cool

73DG

KA2DZT

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 02:40:12 AM »

Seems like there was one subsequent "portable" FI meter - Singer?  before the Nems-Clarke  (also RCA) meters became the standard.  Mine works and is in very nice shape, but is missing the battery plug.  I think the plug was made by Cinch.

These meters can still work pretty well, but were supplanted by the 70's vintage FIM-41 / 21 series still in use.

I've never figured out how the calibration oscillator maintains amplitude stability over the very wide temperature range it encounters - there is a 1n60 diode from the grid to ground, and I know those germanium diodes' forward threshold moved a lot with temp.

K4KYV gave me a connector for it, but turned out to have the wrong number of pins

Chris

That plug you pictured has six pins but the center one doesn't connect to anything.  The matching jack has six holes but the center hole has no connector.  Let me know if that is correct on your meter.

I just rechecked and I think I also have the ones with all six active pins.  They made those connectors with 3,4,5,and 6 pins.  both male a female.  Some are chassis mount, some have a metal cover.  The inserts can be changed around as they are held by a small screw.

Let me know if the meter uses all six pins or just five, if you can tell.  I see I only have the chassis mount six pin type.  These can not be used with the metal cover.

As I remember I think these type connectors where used on battery packs.

I'm assuming you need a matching jack (to your pictured plug) that will be connected on a cable running from a battery, or if not then what??

Fred
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »

Yeah - the meter uses all six pins of the connector.  The pins measure 0.095 inches in diameter, and anything that fits I want!

Please let me know if you have anything,

Chris
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »

Thanks to Fred, who gifted me with a proper, perfectly fitting connector, I'm now off to the races with the Nems-Clarke meter.

Thanks again Fred!

Chris  W4NEQ

KA2DZT

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 02:33:08 PM »

Chris,

Great, glad the connector fit correctly.  I knew it would.

From their catalog, Amphenol calls them "Miniature Cable Connectors".

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015