The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:28:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Source for Cardboard Insulating Sleeves for FP-Style Electrolytics???  (Read 20001 times)
W2XR
Contributing

« on: December 17, 2009, 05:05:40 PM »

Is anyone aware of a supplier or source for the (NOS) cardboard insulating sleeves that were frequently used with FP-Style Electrolytics in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s??? They were available in different sizes for the standard O.D. and height dimensions of FP caps.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks & 73,

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 05:40:22 PM »

Lots of places sell cardboard tubes in all types of lengths and diameters. Depending on length, may require cutting.

http://www.uline.com/BL_3653/Kraft-Tubes

http://www.yazoomills.com/mailing-tubes.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=cardboard+tube&utm_campaign=Yazoo+Mills+Strategic+Keywords&gclid=CKT5qqjF3p4CFU1M5Qod1XNWLA

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Used to sell them. I dont see them on the site anymore. Its worth a call. 

Clark
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:04:49 PM »

Thanks, Pete.

However, I need the cardboard sleeve or tube where one end is closed off. Although a plastic cap would of course do this, it would not be correct for the vintage equipment I am restoring.

I would think that some electronics parts supplier out there has a boatload of these things as NOS. Like everything else related to authentic restoration work, it's always a matter of locating this stuff.

Normally, I'll just slide off the existing sleeve from the old FP electrolytic capacitor and reinstall it on the new replacement cap. However, the sleeves on the piece of equipment I am currently working on are in poor shape cosmetically, and must be replaced from an appearance standpoint.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 11:29:15 PM »

Here are caps with cardboard sleeves.

http://4sale.sbszoo.com/caps3.htm

This place has tons of old cap parts including covers:

http://www.reli-ex.com/Other-Products/

This is the last one I have used..  Real nice products.

http://www.hayseedhamfest.com/capkit.htm

Does any of that help?  There is a company called CR manufacturing that makes Paper covered caps with multi wires comming out like the old radios had. They are sold on tubesandmore.com but I cant find them on the web. 
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »

Ya need to get creative.
Get Kraft tube.
Slide tube over can capacitor.
Leave about 1/8 inch of the tube sticking out from top of cap.
Get a piece of Kraft cardboard of roughly the same color/thickness and cut it into a circle to match the diameter of the can.
With the can in place, slip the cut circle into the top of the tube so that it rests on the top of the can.
Add some super glue around the edge of the circle and let dry.

There's even some places that sell colored cardboard tubes (i.e. black) but you may not have a big selection in diameters.

You could also get some real heavy cover stock paper from your local Staples or Office Depot and roll your own tubes. The issue here is getting the seams bonded properly.

W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 12:15:24 AM »

Here are caps with cardboard sleeves.

http://4sale.sbszoo.com/caps3.htm

This place has tons of old cap parts including covers:

http://www.reli-ex.com/Other-Products/

This is the last one I have used..  Real nice products.

http://www.hayseedhamfest.com/capkit.htm

Does any of that help?  There is a company called CR manufacturing that makes Paper covered caps with multi wires comming out like the old radios had. They are sold on tubesandmore.com but I cant find them on the web.  

Thanks for the help, but I don't see where any of these suppliers stock the sleeves I have referred to.

I just sent an e-mail to Hayseed Electronics; perhaps they can be of service.

Bruce

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 07:40:26 AM »

Ah, a semantic difficulty...

Bruce XR is inquiring about carboard tubes with integral end caps, not caps (capacitors) in a sleeve.

It's a carboard insulating tube for situations when the outside of the cap is no longer on ground, but is hot.

Maybe that will clear it up?

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WB6NVH

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 02:18:45 PM »

Maybe someone can clarify the part in the company website in the middle link above, about "Beautiful Ningbo China."  Having "been there and done that" I guess that's a matter of semantics also.  Or, maybe, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, such as "Beautiful Detroit, Michigan."  Or the phrase on a Ningbo restaurant menu: "Beautiful food at the best cost price so you eat it."

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 03:52:42 PM »

Maybe my links did not come through. The cardboard covers are right there.

C
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 04:44:59 PM »

Maybe my links did not come through. The cardboard covers are right there.

C

Clark,

The links came through, but I cannot find the covers in any of these sites.

Can you direct me to exactly where you saw them?

Thanks!

Bruce

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »

What the chinese company calls "covers" are in fact the terminal ends of a capacitor...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »

Has anyone found a source for commercially available (including NOS) cardboard insulating sleeves made to slip over FP-style electrolytic capacitors?  I've searched the web, amfone.net and ebay, and W2XR's 2009 amfone.net post & thread is the closest relevant hit I've found.

Brad
KA2DZT

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »

Has anyone found a source for commercially available (including NOS) cardboard insulating sleeves made to slip over FP-style electrolytic capacitors?  I've searched the web, amfone.net and ebay, and W2XR's 2009 amfone.net post & thread is the closest relevant hit I've found.

Brad

I save ones off old caps.  What about those cardboard tubes that are in the kitchen plastic wrap and other wrapping used for cooking.  Maybe they would work.

Fred
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:28:42 AM »

If you can't find a piece of cardboard that fits the job, and the outside of the can must be insulated, How about a large piece of heat shrink tube? ? ? ? ? ?

Kinda like the they use on the more modern "computer grade" type of 'lytics.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 09:31:19 AM »

The caps are the electrolytics in the HV power supply of a DX-100B so I need to cover the entire cap enclosure.

I suppose I could cut the heat shrink tube to be, say, a quarter-inch or half-inch longer than the cap enclosure is tall, insert a round piece of the shrink material to cover the top of the cap, then when heated the material would shrink and cover the entire cap enclosure except the bottom.

Thanks.
Brad
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 12:24:35 PM »

Or just use a round piece of cardboard or thin plastic (like a CD jewel case) and let the shrink mould around it and close off the top.

If you cut a flat piece of shrink tube for the top, it might just shrink back enough to expose some of the metal.

or

If you can neaten up the wiring enough, you may only have to insulate the sides of the can. (It's been a lonnnggggggg time since I've seen the underbelly of a dixie 100)

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 01:17:13 PM »

If you have an exposed can with a DC potential on it, wrap some black (or whatever is your preferred color) electrical tape around the can and be done with it. It's cheap, simple, and effective.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »

His point was trying to get the original items for a restoration. 

Practical modern fix-its have nothing to do with it.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »

His point was trying to get the original items for a restoration. 

Practical modern fix-its have nothing to do with it.

73DG

Dennis,
           I have restored / repaired buggoodles of antique radios and one hell of a lot of vintage ham gear over the years. My general consensus for appearence is:

On top of the chassis and out in plain view, it has to look as absolutely original as possible no question there. But.................Under the chassis and out of sight
"all is fair in love and war". Anything goes as long as it is done neatly with good construction practices. (No "hammy hambone" allowed) And usually my repaired chassis's look much better than the originals did. I am very anal about neat wiring.

With Philco stuff from the 30s being the exception. You absolutely do not want to change the lead dress in then or you will unleash a sleeping squeal monster. They were actually designed to look that bad to work properly.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »

Ditto for radios by Lyric (Wurlitzer).

I restuffed every cap in my Hammy SP-10.

Wouldn't do it for a war-time SP-200.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
AC0TX
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 07:41:18 PM »

Found some on Ebay
Even if the size is wrong , you could inquire who made them
type this into Ebay

9x Capacitor Cover/Liner #CE8, 2-3/4" x 1-3/16"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »

Here's the ebay seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9x-Capacitor-Cover-Liner-CE8-2-3-4-x-1-3-16-/360453209516?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item53ecaf7dac

Here's a place that makes plastic capacitor covers:
http://www.reli-ex.com/Plastic_Capacitor_Cover.htm

K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 12:18:38 AM »

Thanks guys.

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands