The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:08:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schematic Drawing Software  (Read 7674 times)
Steve - K4HX
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:09:22 AM »

Free, online schematic drawing software. Runs in most Web browsers.

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/mkt/scheme-it.html

Kinda clunky but might be OK for simple stuff. No tube symbols though.   Cry
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:30:21 PM »

Alternately a MS-Paint based system here: http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/TEXTS/Tubepadf.html

Has many old buzzardly tube and even pictorals of components.  Does not support any kind of simulation however, just makes pretty schematics.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »

even cheezier, but I use this file of symbols, opening with ms-paint. one window for it, the other for the item to be drawn.
It has been free on the www in one form or another for a very long time.  And I guess those who have it have added to it themselves (so ignore my CRTs..).

The advantage is very small and there are no pesky copyrights asserted on the symbols unlike the above.

* symbols20120122.png (64.34 KB, 1500x1500 - viewed 519 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:10:12 AM »

What is this MS Paint you speak of?
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »

I use ExpressPCB.  It's free, easy to use, and makes very nice schematics (all of the schematics I've posted in this forum within the past 5 years were made with ExpressPCB.  It is also very easy to add your own symbols, although the program comes with pretty much everything you'd need.

Here is a link to the software: http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm/Download.htm

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 10:40:32 AM »

I like LT Spice because it is an easy matter to simulate the circuit  once you go through the trouble to draw it. This way you know it will work rather than wasting time swapping parts around until it works. Then just export the schematic.
I pretty much simulate everything I do.
W4AMV

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »

If you don't mind spending a few dollars ($ 35 max) and wish to mix system block diagrams and circuit symbols, then visit the RF Cafe site:

http://www.rfcafe.com/business/software/visio-stencils/visio-stencils.htm

However, you need VISIO, which is a nice program. I agree LT Spice at zero dollars does quite well. If you really need block diagrams though and very attractive schematics, the templates available from the site above are great. Also included is the "standard" ARRL outlines including tubes.
gerry_w1id
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »

I generate schematic and do board layouts as part of my job and I've used PCB Express and LT Spice and can say they are both good products. Professionally I use PADS which is definetely not recommended for casual use not only because the license fee is outrageous but because it is not easy to use. With all so-called CAD programs it takes a while to get familiar with the lingo they use. Visio while not specifically or exclusively designed for schematic capture is also excellent if pricy. As someone mentioned, Visio tube symbols are available which is a plus. It can also do much more. I've used it to for mechanical drawing to scale. For example when I renovated my work area I used it to get a better idea of what the arrangement would look like in actuality. I simply measured the area and relevant items then played around with the arrangement on the screen until it made sense to me. another big payoff is the nice, sharp print outs it produces. Another piece of software I use on all my machines is Acrobat. You can use it as a "printer". A file thus "printed" is transportable on any machine without need of the original program needed to create the file.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:45:52 AM »

ur kidding.....right, Steve?

MicroSoft Paint......... bitmap producer.......... start, all programs, accessories, paint!!!

You're pulling our leg!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »

ur kidding.....right, Steve?

MicroSoft Paint......... bitmap producer.......... start, all programs, accessories, paint!!!

You're pulling our leg!

In a Mac, the closest thing to MS Paint is Paintbrush.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2WDX
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »

Hello,

I also use PCB Express and the schematic software that comes with it. One of these days I will gather together all of my custom component files for it into a file and post a link for download. I've made custom component files for all the tube types and variety of other components we use that are not included with this software.

Someday.

John
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 01:21:50 AM »

Microsoft Paint is what PC Paintbrush was renamed to after Big Bill acquired it.

Anyone need PC paintbrush for their XT? I may still have have the EGA card that came with the program and maybe an EGA  monitor.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »

LTspice isn't bad, but for pure schematic drawing  express PCB is pretty smooth, and you can set it up to import to the companion pcb layout software and be sure wiring is correct.  But if you anticipate using digi-key for most components, that software might look pretty good.
W2WDX
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »

After reading this post I was curious. So I started searching for free software that was designed for drawing schematics.

I can across something know as TinyCAD. It is an "open-source" program for windows that is made specifically for drawing schematics. It also has the ability to generate netlists and can integrate with Spice.

Making libraries is very easy, and there already is a couple of good libraries for tubes. It is very simple to use. And since it is open-source its free and if you have the knowledge you can modify the programs to work the way you want it to.

I already have nearly completed my own library for "Tube Radio" schematics that is purely for drawing. It has no netlist or Spice ability. It's meant to be a drag & drop for making schematics quickly and simply. I will post the library when I complete it. The schematics this symbol library creates look just like old time schematic drawings from the 50's and 60's. It will produce a parts list as well.

Just do a search for TinyCAD, and you will see links to a site called sourceforge.net, I believe. This is where the program developers are distributing the software. There also is a Yahoo Groups for the program where you can get library files and other things for it.

J
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »

I have LT Spice but I like to be more artistic in the styles of schematics so I use a drawing program that is getting old now but it is called CANVAS. Been playing with it for over 10 years. I bet I have put a combined 80 bucks into it considering upgrades. It is like Corel and you create the symbols.

* MeissnerPatentRegenRX.jpg (87.92 KB, 1167x806 - viewed 406 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015