The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:28:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio processing in software  (Read 4838 times)
KE6DF

« on: March 31, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »

Does anyone use a computer for handing voice audio processing tasks like limiting, compressing, and equalization etc. ?

I know of one program out there, Voice Shaper, that is targeted at SSB hams. But I haven't been able to get it working as the author hasn't updated it for current Windows (7).

But there have to be other programs.

Seems to me having a string of audio processing boxes to do these tasks is obsolete -- or will be soon if it isn't now.

The computer serves the funtion of a pre-amp as well.

I assume the output of the computer could be directly coupled to the transmitter input through a step-up audio transformer as computer output (like the phones/speaker jack) is intended for low impedance headphones or speakers.

Perhaps this is a dumb question and everyone has been doing this for years.

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »

I used Voice Shaper with an ICOM 756 Pro III, a TS-440S, and my Viking rig. I ran the output of the soundcard through a 1:1 audio transformer (1k to 1k) and into the back panel of the Pro III, or the balanced input of a JBL Compressor/Limiter used to drive the balanced modulator of the TS-440S, or the AUX input of the amplifier that was used to drive the grids of the 811A's in the modulator deck for the Viking. It worked quite well, but as you said, Voice Shaper doesn't cut it with Windows 7 or any of the newer soundcards or integrated soundchips on new motherboards. I haven't found anything in the free category like Voice Shaper, but there are some pretty nice packages out there for $. Breakaway Broadcast looks like quite a package. I believe Blaine N1GTU has used it with very good success. I came across this a few weeks ago:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/t-racks/features/

It looked pretty cool but I have no idea whether it will do real-time voice processing like Voice Shaper. I've moved back to hardware voice processing with my plate modulated rig, but would be curious what you find.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 12:02:26 PM »

I spent some time with various software for studio recording.  You can add in plugins for mutliband compressor, EQ, Some of it worked well but was very complex in the setup and adjustment.  For example. You can use the waves Aphex plugin.

You can also use apple garageband.  Some hams use this. I found it clumsy.

W0VMC has a software system for Broadcasters and its in use for ham radio.  I thought about going this route as it is probably the ultimate.  However, I am pretty happy with my Voice channel and Dap310 at the moment.

I realy do not like to rely on a computer for my radio to work. 

C
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »

I just came across this piece of software that looks very interesting. It's called the Kristal Audio Engine, it's free, and does real-time processing. It runs with XP/2000/Vista. Hard to say how it will behave with either Win7 32 bit or Win7 64 bit. I have not played with it yet, but it appears to have a lot of capability:

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php?section=details

If time allows I'll mess around with it over the next few days.

Rob W1AEX

* mixer_big.jpg (95.59 KB, 948x401 - viewed 397 times.)

* eq_big.jpg (23.7 KB, 277x327 - viewed 393 times.)

* livein_big.jpg (19.58 KB, 363x228 - viewed 405 times.)

KE6DF

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »

Cool.

I just downloaded it and it played the demo song and sounded good.

That's all I've tried so far.

Running it on the latest and greatest Win 7 64-bit machine (just purchased last week).

dave

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 01:03:47 PM »

Dave,

Good to know that it runs in a Win 7 64-bit environment. I found a setup page someone has written up for using an Audio-technica AT2020 USB cardioid condenser microphone through the Kristal software audio rack and into the USB audio port of their Kenwood TS-590S.

http://www.k4qky.com/kenwood-ts-590s/setup-usb-microphone.html

He's using free VST plug-ins with the Kristal audio rack to handle EQ and audio compression. They appear to be widely available for download from many sites. I also see that there is a matching audio limiter VST plugin as well that would be very useful. Looks like an interesting approach for free software audio processing that probably does an even better job than Voice Shaper. I found an amazing collection of very cool looking VST audio plugins that look like they'd be fun to mess around with. I like the idea of being able to customize the whole interface with an endless supply of free VST plugins. There are some very slick "retro" looking rack compressor, limiter, and eq plugins out there. The peak leveling interface in the last picture is one example.

Great fun, eh?

Rob W1AEX

* kristal.jpg (57.74 KB, 589x413 - viewed 392 times.)

* classic-master-limiter.gif (11.5 KB, 595x115 - viewed 393 times.)

* MLA5.jpg (15.57 KB, 512x97 - viewed 371 times.)

Radiohead
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:23:08 AM »

you can also use stereotool winamp plugin http://www.stereotool.com
it has am broadcast presets or make your presets.
there is also a standalone version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015