The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:52:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National NC-303 Paint  (Read 3226 times)
w4fms

« on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »

I recently picked up an NC-303 that needs cabinet paint...especially the dark gray half.  I've seen some older posts and wonder if anyone has successfully found a premixed close match to these colors..especially the dark gray?  I'd even use a non-wrinkle if that's all that's available.  Any info appreciated.  Thanks.

Frank, W4FMS
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »

Hi Frank,

I am not sure how bad your cabinet is, but if the textured finish is not to bad you can cover over it and the results look really good. 

First clean the cabinet so you can have it scanned to get a paint match.  Most paint stores will do that for you.  I would use a store that still sell's oil base paint.  Sherwood Williams may still mix an oil base paint for you.  Then get an oil base paint thinner and thin the paint down.  This will allow the paint to cover the original texture finish without filling it in so you loose the texture.  Of coarse clean the cabinet to remove any dirt, grime or grease before you start.  You can just brush the paint on.  The trick is to have it thinned properly.  I do this same process with Rustoleum Black thinned when I work on HRO cabinets and it works great.  Bill Hurni, W3HWT clued me in on that process some 30 years ago. 

If the original paint is so bad that you can't cover it, then stripping it is another way to go.  Powder Coating is the best way to go.  Often times its tuff to get the right color depending on who you use to do your powder coating.  Definately worth looking into however.

A DIY approach if you can't get it powder coated, would be to strip it, etch prime it with spray cans available from auto restoration supply houses.  Eastwood is a good place to get it mail ordered to you.  Then get some wrinkle spray paint and paint it allowing the sun or an oven to allow the wrinkle to work.  After that, go back to the step in the beginning by brushing a very thinned coat of matching paint over the wrinkle finish. 

Let me know how things turn out.

Joe, W3GMS           

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
kg8lb
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »

There are texturing elements that can be added to paint to replicate the bumpy OEM surface. A paint roller also helps rather than the usual spray application.
N1KK

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »

My NC-300 did not have the 2 different gray colors.  I went to home depot and had them
match the paint.  I also bought the Preval Sprayer.   Comes with a glass bottle and can of compressed air.
Lets you use your matched paint like a can of spray paint.   I did inside and out of the cabinet
and top and bottom of the lid.   The complete Preval kit is around $6.00 and the replacement
cans are around $4.00.   In my case since my cabinet was gray top and botton of the cabinet,
it took a total of 4 cans.  It came out pretty good.

Ken

I recently picked up an NC-303 that needs cabinet paint...especially the dark gray half.  I've seen some older posts and wonder if anyone has successfully found a premixed close match to these colors..especially the dark gray?  I'd even use a non-wrinkle if that's all that's available.  Any info appreciated.  Thanks.

Frank, W4FMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015