The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:32:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guess I'm living right  (Read 5050 times)
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« on: March 24, 2012, 01:39:43 AM »

OK, so I finally put the Viking II that I got at the W0ZUS auction on the workbench tonight. It was filthy and had no power cord, so I was expecting the worst. First, I noticed that all the cabinet screws were present, every last one of them. That was good I thought, usually about half (or more) are missing. There was only one extra hole on the back of the chassis which had a shielded clump of wires coming out of it. Got it out of the cabinet to find that it was a factory wired unit, serial# 11507 (did they really make that many of these?) The shielded wires were in parallel with the high voltage switch probably to throw a relay for receiver mute or something similar. That was easy to restore. Installing a new power cord also no problem. Everything else appeared to be original, and looked great. The filth was just dust, dirt, tobacco residue, and some straw(??) It cleaned up very nice. Applied power with no tubes in the sockets, no blown fuses or fireworks. Reinstalled tubes one by one, everything still OK. Measured voltages - right on. Put a crystal in the socket, meter readings also right on. Attached dummy load, loaded up to 300mA on 40 meters just like new. Guess I'm living right.

I have an idea for the audio. Rather than do one of the usual mods, I think I'm gonna build an external modulator with 809's and a Triad M12AL mod transformer. Will just leave the stock audio section on the chassis, but disconnected. Has anybody ever done something similar?

Ron W8ACR

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »

Great find Ron!  Based on your thread title, I assumed the story was going to include an "I got across the final B plus  on top of the plate choke while troubleshooting, but lived to tell the tale"!  Glad that it didn't.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:06:10 PM »

10,118 built reportedly across all versions.
My CDC version serial is obliberated but various date codes indicates it was one of only 48 produced in 1961, the final year.

Carl
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:12:27 PM »

Is there any other mechanical device known to man that has screws more difficult than those ten machine screws that hold the Viking II cabinet together?  ............. Or mebbe I just don't have the right tool Tongue

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »

Still easier than the kw match box
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:40:52 AM »

Is there any other mechanical device known to man that has screws more difficult than those ten machine screws that hold the Viking II cabinet together?  ............. Or mebbe I just don't have the right tool Tongue

The eighty bazillion screws that hold the (3) shields on a HT-20.  There's one per inch or so, and closer at the corners.  Not that they're difficult to get to, most of them, just a giant PITA.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »

A  bit more spread out. but the same with the shielded RF deck for the Viking Kilowatt. The back of the RF deck for the KW-1 has 2 removable plates not counting the alignment door. Must be 30 or more of those little self-tapping things involved, which will wear out and strip if removed and installed too many times. At least as many on the Viking KW. Haven't had a Matchbox apart for a few years, but it's no walk in the park either.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »

The HRO-500 is up there in the PITA factor since getting at many requires being a contortionist, wobble extensions and some other disassembly to reach. At least its only 42 pounds. Replacing them is about 3X more fun requiring additional speciality tools or procedures.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 02:08:21 PM »

Is there any other mechanical device known to man that has screws more difficult than those ten machine screws that hold the Viking II cabinet together?  ............. Or mebbe I just don't have the right tool Tongue

The eighty bazillion screws that hold the (3) shields on a HT-20.  There's one per inch or so, and closer at the corners.  Not that they're difficult to get to, most of them, just a giant PITA.

Ron, if the screws are like the HT-20 screws forget about using a flat head driver.   If the screw heads are the kind that have 6 (or is it 8 ) sides and a flat head slot that is.  On the HT-20 the heads stick up no more than 1 mm--some may be so tight they are sunk into the surrounding sheet metal a bit.  

You have to use a socket nut driver.  The driver won't work as-is for the end of it is rounded too much and won't grab the screw head.  You have to get a file and file it down so the end surface of the driver is flat.  Put it down over the screw and push down and turn slowly by hand and the screw should loosen.  The nice thing is that if the screws are in weird places you can use extenders to get to them.  It's not a bad idea to file down the ends of all nut drivers (in my opinion).

At least with the Matchbox the screws (annoyingly flat head slots) are easy to get to if one needs to be backed out.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 02:29:07 PM »

Nope, these are flat head round machine screws. They usually aren't stuck, it is simply impossible to get a flat tip screwdriver tip onto the top of the screw due to the impossible angle and the proximity of large immovable objects on the chassis such as transformers. Very poor mechanical design. Angry

Ron

PS: after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, all ten screws are happily ensconced in their assigned position Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015