The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:39:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online sheet metal sources  (Read 4325 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: March 07, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »

I'm looking for some good online sources for sheet metal.  Anyone have any experience with online metal sources?  I came across this place: http://www.onlinemetals.com/  and thought they had a good variety of material but was wondering if anyone had a good online source that not only had a good selection but decent prices..  I'm looking for some copper in sheet form, maybe a 1x2 foot sheet that is less than or equal to 1/64.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:42:12 PM »

I was looking at them last week. Their prices are good. You might check a local hardware store for copper flashing. I know home cheapo sells 6 inch wide copper flashing by the foot.
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:50:30 PM »

copper sheet  is sold by weight...comes in 12 oz, 14 oz. 16 oz ,etc per sq ft...local sheet metal shops are a good source..
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:38:19 PM »

Look online to see if there is a Metals Supermarket in your area.
There is one here and they cut for free...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 08:37:57 AM »

If you are just looking to make shield enclosures (boxes) why not just use unetched double sided PC board stock and just slobber it together? ? ?

If you are looking for material to make heat sinks, unfortunately, you'll need the real deal.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »

What would be a good copper alloy for homebrewing springy clips and other kinds of electrical contacts?

I believe I now have enough coil clips, but if not, I might need to homebrew a few extra ones.

Beryllium copper looks like a good choice, but the dust may be highly toxic, and even if I wore a breathing mask, I am not sure I would want to be filing, sawing and drilling the stuff and leaving dust residue inside the shop where all my power tools are.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »

Hi Don,

Believe that Phosphor-Bronze is used for electrically conductive springs,  as in relays.  Know nothing of this,  but share your concern regarding Beryllium,  and any of its alloys.

FTI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor_bronze

Vic
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »

Bob,

Take a ride down to John's Scrap Yard in Columbia on Rose Bridge Rd..  Tell John that "Tom - The Tower Guy" sent ya...  Wink

He has barrels full of copper flashing, aluminum sheet, steel, etc.  His price is about $1/lb for aluminum,  $2?/ lb for copper and 10 cents/ lb for steel.

He's a metal recycler and lets us walk around the yard looking for treasures.   I've built a lot of stuff using his bargain materials.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

If you are just looking to make shield enclosures (boxes) why not just use unetched double sided PC board stock and just slobber it together? ? ?

If you are looking for material to make heat sinks, unfortunately, you'll need the real deal.

Frank,
I'm looking for a cheap sheet of Cu for creating a ground plane for an old buzzard type project.

Tom,
Thanks for the tip on John's.  That's a hop, skip and jump from here. I'm there.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »

For everyone else, Georgia Copper.   

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands