The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:56:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Old Rig.  (Read 5319 times)
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« on: February 16, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »

I bought a Dx60B. Sees to work ok. Still have to find a workable mic. I only have carbons or elecets here. Might have an old communications mic from the 60s.
I have no manual but I will figure it out.  Set drive level , tune drive, tune grid ,tune plate GO. HuhHuhHuh??
I have only rock control 3750, 7145 and 7050(CW) I have a few others in between of my own but no 3705 or 7120 etc. Time to make a VFO.
Don Ve3LYX

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
ve6pg

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:59:48 AM »

..good stuff don...tell ya what...i'll pass the words to the lads about the vfo..vf-1, or hg-10 is the ticket...check "the am window" page...there are audio mods for the dx60...if you wanna try 7050, or 3750, let me know...i'll be around all weekend....i'll see about sending a manual, as well...btw, you could try a sig generator as well for the vfo...keep me posted...

..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:34:21 AM »

need a cystal mic as in D 10 4 w3ck mods I like
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 07:11:53 AM »

When I read many of these posts I have to get out the device that kicks me in the arse. Once upon a time I HAD these things.
I swear the best Ham station I had was in Maryland. Gawd, I am wasteful!!

http://www.amwindow.org/pix/htm/kc4mop03/kc4mop1.htm

Enjoy the DX-60. I have heard a few on 80M and very nice when it is not battle conditions.

Fred KC4MOP
W4AAB

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »

I saw some ads for HG-10's yesterday on QTH.com. That was the matching VFO for the DX-60 series.
                                       Joe W4AAB
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »

I bought a Dx60B. Sees to work ok. Still have to find a workable mic. I only have carbons or elecets here. Might have an old communications mic from the 60s.
I have no manual but I will figure it out.  Set drive level , tune drive, tune grid ,tune plate GO. HuhHuhHuh??
I have only rock control 3750, 7145 and 7050(CW) I have a few others in between of my own but no 3705 or 7120 etc. Time to make a VFO.
Don Ve3LYX

Have a fun time with your DX-60.  They are a great little rig.  Basic tuning parameter are, 2.5MA of grid drive and around 130MA of plate current if I remember correctly!  Tune up first on CW using those parameters and then switch to AM.  If you have the rig, it would definitely be worth investing in a manual.  Check out the "Manual Man" since he provides good service at reasonable prices.  Steve, WA1QIX just came out with some great audio mods for that rig which were discussed on this site.  I recommend that you get it on the air and working and then you can fuss with the audio if you choose to do so.   

Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:30 AM »

There's also a good article posted recently in the transmitter section here on 'fone:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=30451.0

Joe's approach is sound: get the rig on the air and be sure everything is working properly before delving into any changes. Then at least you have a baseline to start from.

Congrats on making it up another rung on the output ladder. HG-10s are fairly inexpensive as are crystal mics. Add a little soup in the form of an amp and you'll be runnin' with the big dawgs in no time. There are several stations out there running a DX-60 into an amp with excellent results.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:15:29 AM »

I have it up and running. Got good audio reports and signal strength was good. I am going to leave it alone. I am a homebrewer at heart and have built several vintage style transmitters and two transceivers (of the minimalist variety) I am currently building a simplified Bomber transmitter  based on theT1154  Lancaster bomber transmitter. I have the rare VT104 tube designed for supressor grid modulation and I have an original mic and I have a circuit diagram to work with (that will be different ;>). Meanwhile the DX60B will give me AM access whenever I need a fix. I have some extra rocks coming (I have 7145 7050, 3750 3680 right now) I also had figured out how to make a variable crystal for my Cw rig  and may take one of these and cast and machine an adjustable fixture for it. That will give me all the movement I need. Don VE3LYX  
Here is that variable I made below. The 243 case will allow it as well although  it will have to on the end of the crystal row.

* donsvaricrystl.jpg (16.9 KB, 436x338 - viewed 552 times.)

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015