The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 02:01:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dynaco Stereo amplifier blew up  (Read 3906 times)
w1vtp

« on: February 14, 2012, 05:13:22 PM »

Literally!  Sad  I was in the pantry area ajacent to the shack when I heard what sounded like a gunshot - dull sounding like it was outside.  When I went into the shack, I could smell the smoke.  Yup, the fuse in the Stereo 80 was blown.  I'm hoping it didn't take out one of the AR speakers  Huh

When I get home, I have a couple of options.

1) Replace the current Stereo 80 with another one (yeah, I have two)  or

2) Replace the PAT5 and Stereo 80 with an EICO Cortina 80 watt integrated stereo amplifier.  That one, at least, has fused outputs.

3) Actually, I have a couple more options including an EICO Stereo 70, a tube amp that still works.

At that point, I'm hoping the EICO is RF proof.  This may be a long night.  I could, of course, use my headphones but that's sort of a drag

Al
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »

Is the Stereo 80 all solid state or tubes?   I have solid state ST-120 amp, matching solid state preamp and tuner.  Got them all along with a pair of large studio monitor type speakers in one of my best scores at the free re-usable shed at our town dump a few years back.

What let loose, filter caps?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »

Got them all along with a pair of large studio monitor type speakers in one of my best scores at the free re-usable shed at our town dump a few years back.

They had one of those at the Sandwich, MA town dump a few years ago. I thought it was a great idea, and so did almost all the town residents. Mostly old clothes, kitchen appliances and furniture.  Never saw anything of interest radio-wise though.  But last time I was up there, they had done away with it, torn down the building, and the only place to dispose of anything was down one of several chutes, and the stuff lands where there is no access to the public. Bummer.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »

Golly Al.

Sounds like you need a surge protector on the main CB box.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:17:17 PM »

Is the Stereo 80 all solid state or tubes?   I have solid state ST-120 amp, matching solid state preamp and tuner.  Got them all along with a pair of large studio monitor type speakers in one of my best scores at the free re-usable shed at our town dump a few years back.

What let loose, filter caps?

It's the SS version. 

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/ST80/index.html

BTW I believe this is one of the most informative sites for Dynaco.  I have another Stereo 80 along with two Stereo 120s  The preamp is the PAT5.

The speakers survived.  I pressed into service a Technics 20 watt / channel receiver.  It was just sitting there waiting to be used.  Dunno what let loose yet.  I'll do a post mortem some time soon.

Al
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »

I have a mismatched pair of old, large AR speakers that you are welcome to have should you decide to blow yours up.  73  Tom
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »

I will gladly take donations of AR-1 speakers. Working or not.

Al, use the Eico tube unit! It will be bullet proof and actually will sound somewhat sweeter. You want to change out the coupling caps that drive the outputs if you have not done so already - suggest 630v mylars, or polypropylenes. Anything close to the original value will be more than good.

Like if they are 0.1ufd, then 0.2 or 0.047 will suffice. Only the very lowest freqs will change, and that shouldn't matter much for monitoring on ham radio.

Tell us what blew up on the Dynablow?
Filter cap?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 11:49:36 PM »

Use the tube amp.

I have a few Stereo-120's sitting on a shelf in the garage. They are good sounding amps with a regulated B+ but are not very good cosmetically since they came from a barn. With the linear regulator, they make almost as much heat as a tube amp!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:47:53 AM »

You're having a lot of bad luck lately with mysterious blowups.

So what happen this time??

I have had the filter cap go in a blaze of glory in a Knight KB85. And I replaced the caps a few years earlier. Expensive dam things from Antique Electronic Supply.

I restored...re-capped--my Heathkit AR1500, new dial lights using bright-ass LED's and it runs circles around that KB85. It makes those Advents move some air.
The KB85 has that typical tube bass sound.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015