The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:28:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pi network and Q at 80M  (Read 1625 times)
KC9LKE

« on: February 16, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »

So I built a preliminary mockup of a 2x 813 class C amp on a sheet of aluminum and used a B&W 850A for the coil in the Pi net. I also used #12 copper for the rf interconnects.

I used the TANKIT program for a plate load of 4750Ω’s and a Q of 15. I also have the east and west coast charts for Pi component values as a reference. The TANKIT program has 14μH for the coil, the B&W in the 80M position measures, for me, at 14.3μH.

I am driving the whole mess backwards with an Icom 746, watt meter in between, and also monitoring the 4750Ω load resistor across the tubes with a scope.

It tunes up on 3.75 Mhz close to the TANKIT values. I check for the -3db points by tuning the Icom above and below 3.75Mhz while looking on the scope for 0.707 x the voltage at resonance. I find a Q of 12.6… 3.75Mhz / delta f.

The problem and question. I am trying to get a general idea of what to expect when I actually build this on a new chassis. Size of the pi coil, padding cap for loading etc. The problem is I have to drastically reduce the inductor, 50%, to make any sizeable increase in Q.

The west coast handbook suggests a Q of 15 to 20 for class C plate modulated amp. I’m aiming for a Q of 18 and cannot get it any higher than 14 on 80M.

I have not tried 40M – 15M. Of course the problem child with 2-813’s, 10M, works fine with the stock coil! Q is around 24 but if I short a few turns of the coil Q will increase greatly, around 37-40 as it should.  

Any ideas or suggestions as to what is going on here??
Is my test procedure correct?
Does anyone even pay attention to Q on the lower bands.

Just trying to build a clean amp and learn along the way.

Oh ya the auto tuner in the Icom is off. Grin

Thanks Again
Ted / KC9LKE.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »

I dont think you will see much of a difference in efficiency between 8-15. If its harmonic suppression thats a concern go to a Pi-L.
I use this all the time:

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/    and scroll to

Pi/Pi-L network design/analysis spreadsheet

Carl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015