The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:11:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quickie strain relief for 1/4" plug  (Read 3505 times)
w1vtp

« on: February 05, 2012, 06:17:58 PM »

Whiltse doing the initial tuneup for my Viking 1, I discovered that I needed to key the transmitter.  Had the key and the plug but no connection.  So, quickly to the parts store out back and grabbed a twisted pair wire reel and a 1/4" jack.  Got everything all soldered up and then I had an idea.  Plugged in my hot glue gun and put a generous dob of glue around where the wire exited the plug.  Afterwards, I tugged pretty hard and discovered that the glue had gripped the insulation pretty good - and that was teflon insulation to boot. I then bent the grounding tab around everything and the pic shows the result.  So, finally I have a way to keep the wire from twisting and eventually breaking off.  Works pretty good

Al

* STRAIN RELIEF.jpg (221.01 KB, 2984x1097 - viewed 476 times.)
w5gw

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:54:57 AM »

Nifty idea.
KC4ALF

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »

I like.
K5WLF
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »

Great tip, Al. Thanks.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »

the ring aint bad too

klc

What? Me worry?
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:23:19 AM »

Those two metal "wings" on the rear of the plug's ground arm are intended to be crimped over as strain relief. I usually put either a spaghetti or more usually a bit of heat shrink over the wire (unless it has a fat jacket, like mic cable, and maybe then anyhow) and then crimp the wings over, somewhat gently, they don't need to be massively squished...

You can get fancy with the squish part if you have a properly sized crimp tool for the job, like one that would be used on the rear of an F connector for example... makes it more rounded...

FYI...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
kA5WHO

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »

Al
 Why not just flip the plate switch to key the transmitter to tune up,that is all I have ever done,until I installed  ptt.
dale
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »

Al
 Why not just flip the plate switch to key the transmitter to tune up,that is all I have ever done,until I installed  ptt.
dale

Hi Dale - good to "hear you on."  Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing but I was tuning up in CW and the oscillator plate current was onn all the time.  It just rubbed me the wrong way to see that indicating all the time.

All: good suggestions.  Comes under the category of "differnt strokes" I don't like crimping those wings down 'cause it might create a short if I do someting wrong.  Besides, I'm LAAAAZY as Guy would say

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015