The AM Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:38:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Rules for 5 MHz (60 Meters) To Go Into Effect March 5  (Read 5788 times)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« on: February 04, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »

The new rules for the US 5 MHz allocation have been published in the Federal Register and should be in effect on March 5.

• Increased power from 50 to 100 watts
  • One new frequency added and one lost
  • CW and Data modes added

ARRL article: http://www.arrl.org/news/new-rules-for-5-mhz-60-meters-to-go-into-effect-march-5
Federal Register: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2012/02/03/2012-2477/amateur-radio-use-of-the-allocation-at-5-mhz

Oh yeah, if you feel compelled whine about how this is not a "real band" or how the FCC should magically grant us a wide swath of this shared spectrum you may find it easier just to post the links to similar P&M'ing that has been posted elsewhere.    Cheesy

--- Post No Bills ---
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:57:02 PM »

Still no authorization for DSB, full carrier AM.

In the NPRM, the Commission proposed to authorize the use of three additional emission designators in the band: CW emission 150HA1A, which is Morse telegraphy by means of on-off keying, and data emissions 2K80J2D and 60H0J2B. In § 97.307(f)(14)(i) of the proposed rules, the Commission restricts emission designator 2K80J2D to data using PACTOR-III technique and emission designator 60H0J2B to data using PSK31 technique.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:24:03 PM »

And rightly so; mode is much tooooooooooo wide and old buzzard transmissions won't cut it here.
See you on the channel.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB2CAU

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:39:11 PM »

And rightly so; mode is much tooooooooooo wide and old buzzard transmissions won't cut it here.
See you on the channel.

I'm sure that the ARRL had something to do with its exclusion.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
K7EDL
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:56:58 PM »

I'm glad I didn't rush out and buy a radio which is programed to only put out 50 watts and on certain freqs.    Anyone here actually spend time on 60?

Eric
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »

Anyone here actually spend time on 60?

I was on it regularly for a couple of weeks a few years ago the the minute it opened up for amateur use. It was a lot of fun.

I'd say that the best part is that with the power/antenna restrictions everyone is on a fairly level playing field.  There were no nets, no regular nightly groups claiming ownership of the frequency, no personality clashes ... just some friendly contacts.  The jackasses that permeate parts of 75 meters aren't ever going to operate there without their leenyars and their regular group of good buddies.  Smiley

Sam

--- Post No Bills ---
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:21:38 PM »

Oh yeah, if you feel compelled whine about how this is not a "real band" or how the FCC should magically grant us a wide swath of this shared spectrum you may find it easier just to post the links to similar P&M'ing that has been posted elsewhere.    Cheesy

Aw shucks, just when I wanted to P & M  Angry Angry Angry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »

See you on the channel.

Actually, the National Telecommunications and Information Agency (NTIA), which administers spectrum occupied by government users--the band's primary occupants--and the FCC were the primary players in the 60 meter allocation and its operating rules.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »

I'll have to give my Flex a run on 60M. I did notice that it has channelized memory (built-in) freqs for 60M.
 I'll see what happens, if it will transmit on the "new channel".................
Just checked and the Flex WILL NOT allow me to transmit on the new channel carrier of 5.357.00.
I'm sure there will be a fix from FLex how to change that.
Don't you just love the digital Whirl.........full control.......

Fred KC4MOP
K2PG

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:01:49 AM »

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth! Most countries don't allow ANY amateur use of those frequencies. Hey, there's no authorization for SSB, suppressed carrier AM on 30 meters, either. My world won't end because I can't put a 20V-2 on those bands.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 05:00:38 PM »

I have had a lot of fun on 60 meters.  No P&M'ing on the band and as was said, we are lucky to have those frequencies to use on a shared bases.  Anytime we get additional frequencies is a good thing. 

It will be good to work some CW stations on the band now. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:05:43 PM »

See you on the channel.

Actually, the National Telecommunications and Information Agency (NTIA), which administers spectrum occupied by government users--the band's primary occupants--and the FCC were the primary players in the 60 meter allocation and its operating rules.

All a result of "Nine Eleven" paranoia.  The FCC was reportedly on the verge of allocating a REAL amateur band at 60m, and NTIA had agreed to go along. A debate was raging within certain quarters of the amateur community whether or not the new band would have sub-bands or be left wide open like 160m. Petitions were being prepared for submission. Then the Towers went down and the Pentagon was struck, and the rest is history. HF, which had been pretty much relegated to the dustbin of history by government agencies suddenly took on strategic importance once again.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »

I bought a little Motorola Micom with 4 crystal channels 3 years ago and put it on 60M. It is a lot of fun and it has an awesome SSB squelch. They have a Moose and Squirrel Net on Saturdays at noon USB. Lots of weird military rigs show up. My rig came out of the Dept of the Interior as surplus.

* Micom.jpg (69.07 KB, 500x375 - viewed 294 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015