The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:34:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Doing SKN?  (Read 11623 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »

Not trying to change your approach, just pointing out another way to solve the problem.  Often times others on this site read the posting and what appeals to one may or may appeal to others.  I could go on with yet other solutions but won't!  We all prefer at times to come up with various solutions to a problem.

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
AF9J
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 08:32:31 PM »

Taking a break from working to get back on the air...I've been learning about the vintage world of commercial radiotelegraph in the maritime communications business, off and on during the past several weeks.   I had previously known nothing about it, or very little at least, but in the golden age of commercial radiotelegraph in the U.S., there were many high powered shore stations up and down the East and West coasts and on the Gulf.  Typically a station consisted of a remotely controlled tx site running a few tens of kilowatts and around 20 miles away, a rx site which was the location staffed by operators.  There is a maritime radio historical society with a website that's very interesting.  These ops were 1st class cw ops, the types who could copy any fist on a mill and to my surprise, the key of choice right up to the end in the 1990s was a bug, usually or always a Vibroplex.  Receivers were usually AR-88s, and 51J-4s.  I'll try to upload a photo of a typical operating position.   The operator is Les Burger at KPH Point Reyes, Calif.  These guys all held 1st Class Radiotelegraph tickets.  You can easily blow a few hours looking around at http://www.radiomarine.org

I had to use a bug in my CW days (I like to say I operate AM and CW but to be honest, I now operate CW so infrequently that's more or less a lie) because the T-60 keying v. was around 90 v.  I was so dumb back then I tried keying it with a cmos keyer and of course, instantly fried it.   I noted the professional CW operators preferred monitoring off the air with a rx instead of a sidetone--maybe because the tx was so far away they wanted to always be aware of its status.  

p.s. in the photo, note the cable clamp U bolt on the bug pendulum as an extra weight.  Nice idea!

Mmm, most noice!   Cool  The only complaint I've had about bugs, is that while they can be adjusted for different sending speeds, they work best at the speed you originally set them at.  Also, they're a little pokey, to change speed on, on the fly.  But, they sure are cool!

BTW, I picked up a T-60 (along with an HQ-129X), at a swapfest this morning, for $20.  It'll make a fun "sort of" glow bug transmitter.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 07:11:23 AM »

I don't buy the thing about bugs working best at the original speed you set them at--the theory must be that they wear in at some speed but we're not talking about a car engine so I have doubts.  FB on the T-60--be sure to run it through a low pass tuner; they're notorious for harmonics. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015