The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:07:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Guys Like Christmas  (Read 6425 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: December 13, 2011, 05:46:54 PM »

Electronics and automation at its best.

http://www.ct.com/entertainment/photos/wtxx-awesome-christmas-light-displays-set-to-music-20111212,0,5546959.photogallery

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:56:28 PM »

"Hey. I've got a couple of hours. Want to go to the mall?" Ever hear a guy say that? Of course not. Guys hate shopping."

Well, most malls do have adult beverage places. I once sped up my XYLs shopping by stopping into the mall "Hooters."  Like the Duke said, "a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do."

klc

What? Me worry?
kd7qdu
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:12:14 PM »

Real Men shop online Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »

Or, if they do go to the mall, they know precisely which store they plan to visit, walk in, pick up the item they intend to purchase, pay for it, then make like a hockey player and get the puck out of the place.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »

If the mall has a Bass Pro Shop, men will be there in droves.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »

I do a bunch of scouting (and buying) on line, but as we approach the 'it won't get here in time' period, then the purchases have to be local. As Don says, I know where I'm going, and what I'm going to get. And I go at dinner time when the crowds are at a minimum.

That said, I was in the local mall the other day a bit past the dinner hour, and I was amazed at how empty it was. Felt like a ghost town in there. Ran into another ham and compared notes and he thought the same thing. I guess it's either the down economy, or maybe online shopping is having more of an impact this year. 

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:08:15 PM »

Real Men shop online

Real men don't shop........ we buy!

There's a major difference.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »

real men are checking out the babes
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »

Why I like Christmas:

One word: Family

Forget the crazy commercialization.  We celebrate family by getting together and having a great meal.  Gift exchanges do occur but they are not central to our holiday, of course there are no more small children, the youngest are in high school. 

AMI#1684
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »

At the Bass Pro Shop? I don't think so.

real men are checking out the babes
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »

We need more of these:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/living/2011/12/17/dnt-mall-man-cave.cbc-news

If I get dragged to the mall, I just usually hang around in the car and play radio on the mobile rig.  I especially enjoy handing out outrageously high QSO numbers when they are part of a CW contest exchange, if the bands are full of corntesters on the weekends.  Usually will go back with one at least 100 more than the number I receive from a hotshot big gun...

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 07:11:13 PM »

Solved my problem today.  I took my wife, who wanted to finish her shopping, to a botique owned by a bipolar (for old timers read, manic depressive) owner.  She was wonderful and had a shop full of unique items and clothes.  After an hour and $500 we left with what she wanted for the daughter and herself and was happy to have fun shopping.

Go with the flow but scope out where you go first.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 02:41:43 AM »

I was glad to get by this year (probably because I haven't frequented amateur radio message boards so much lately), without having to endure someone's feeble attempt at humour in the form of a "ham radio variation" of T'was the Night Before Christmas.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 06:24:42 AM »

Malls suck.

Shopping centers suck too.  What's there?  Clothes.  Yeah I need more sweaters; I wear them out every six months.  Roll Eyes

If D&D Surplus were in the mall I'd go.

Great Christmas:  I buy a New York Times, go to Corfu, order a skillet breakfast and coffee, sit there eating, drinking coffee and reading the paper, then go home and take a two hour nap.   My present this year was the Centurion inrush burning up.  Now it's all apart while I make it even more AM bulletproof.  Then back to the K4KYV sequencer project.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »

I had a nice Christmas.  I received something I never expected, a scale model oscillating steam engine kit. 

http://www.midwestproducts.com/store/product/e7bfe44f-694b-45aa-b3a2-a9486dec74fe/Model_VI_Steam_Engine.aspx

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015